What free wood did you find today?

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Looks clean. None of the heavy figure you were hoping for?
correct the figure is there just less. potentially heavier in the butt/stump piece that i have yet to slab. sometimes it's only really nice in the first 6 to 8 foot off the tree, possibly related to stress growth, as it is rarely ever present in wood/logs under 12" across

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Looks clean. None of the heavy figure you were hoping for?
It will only be in the middle 2 slabs unless some log turning is done. Then you can get 4 more pieces half width but by then you have destroyed your log as far as making slabs. If you level that tree's heart on the mill and split down the center first you will know if it is worth sawing for figure... dont ask. No I haven't any pictures. I have a couple oaks coming up this spring that will likely be quartersawn

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
It will only be in the middle 2 slabs unless some log turning is done. Then you can get 4 more pieces half width but by then you have destroyed your log as far as making slabs. If you level that tree's heart on the mill and split down the center first you will know if it is worth sawing for figure... dont ask. No I haven't any pictures. I have a couple oaks coming up this spring that will likely be quartersawn
you are correct in the fact that quarter sawn aspect is the only place it's really visible. so yes the two slabs either side of the pith cut out are by far the best

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
A friend of mine recently got a mill, and found some free cottonwood logs on craigslist, just haul them away. The logs had some lumps and burly formations he had to trim to fit his 36" mill, and he offered them to me, I was a bit on the fence about whether I wanted any cottonwood till I saw it. All the logs have a dark red/brown heartwood, looks pretty cool, and the sapwood has some spalting. So I brought home a big hunk, am considering turning a big bowl off the end of my lathe.... looking forward to the challenge... second pic is the log it came from...
cottonwood1.jpg
cottonwood.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
A friend of mine recently got a mill, and found some free cottonwood logs on craigslist, just haul them away. The logs had some lumps and burly formations he had to trim to fit his 36" mill, and he offered them to me, I was a bit on the fence about whether I wanted any cottonwood till I saw it. All the logs have a dark red/brown heartwood, looks pretty cool, and the sapwood has some spalting. So I brought home a big hunk, am considering turning a big bowl off the end of my lathe.... looking forward to the challenge... second pic is the log it came from...
View attachment 204471
View attachment 204470

That red heartwood does not ring any bells for me. Do you know which species it is?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
You think it might be Freemont Cottonwood? Yes, if you could, set aside a piece that I could make a sample of.
That is certainly the most likely suspect, next time I see my buddy, I will ask him if the guy who owned them and cut them down has any more info...

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Neighbor had an ornamental Forest Pansy Redbud come down. I helped him cut it up today. He intended it all for the fireplace but I was able to get everything worth saving. This will keep me busy for awhile.

99464749-DD84-4B46-B1E6-BCB06E32551A.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Neighbor had an ornamental Forest Pansy Redbud come down. I helped him cut it up today. He intended it all for the fireplace but I was able to get everything worth saving. This will keep me busy for awhile.

View attachment 205152
They crack easily and often. Seal it now! Beautiful wood however and worth the effort to me.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
They crack easily and often. Seal it now! Beautiful wood however and worth the effort to me.
I love the color of the wood too. Found a fairly big one at the log yard and cut it up for blanks. Sealed the ends. It all still split past the the point of being of any use.