What free wood did you find today?

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I jumped into my free wood pile today. I milled one pecan log yesterday. Got five or six 5/4 and 6/4 slabs for some table top projects when it dries. I drug it out and cut it to straight lengths and will start milling tomorrow. Ultimate goal is to make a small solar kiln that I can stack maybe 200 BF in. Gotta do a bit more reading on that though. I think we have ample summertime heat to suffice and some small fans and a cheap dehumidifier. At least that's the plan now.

I had hackberry, elm, Pecan, live oak and white oak stacked up harboring mosquitos. I gotta get this done and get it drying and start making things. It's easy to get too much lumber in a hurry.

Alan

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Was doing some man tracking training on one of our management areas on Monday. On the way there, found a pile of elm chunks someone had dumped on the side of the road. I was off today so I went and grabbed a few. Now to get them cut up and sealed. Never seen the color streaks in elm like this.

20210610_140413.jpg

20210610_140421.jpg

20210610_140617.jpg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Whoa! It must be diseased and contagious. Immediately box them up and send them to Nashville for proper processing!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Elm is a beautiful wood, but never seen it like that. I wonder if that is how it spalts?
Nice grab Eric! :cool:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
No idea. May go back and get more next week. Going to another place tomorrow a guy said we could dig through some piles of his stuff. Take whatever we want

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Pictures don't show much, but I'm pretty tired. Another half day of milling then paint the ends and stack it .... somewhere... I haven't gotten that far ahead yet.... I started milling it at 5/4 then went to 6/4 about half way through.

Pecan and Elm.

Alan

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck

Deputydawg

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Pictures don't show much, but I'm pretty tired. Another half day of milling then paint the ends and stack it .... somewhere... I haven't gotten that far ahead yet.... I started milling it at 5/4 then went to 6/4 about half way through.

Pecan and Elm.

Alan

View attachment 210710

View attachment 210711

View attachment 210713
That is very very nice! I'm fairly new to woodworking and know absolutely nothing about milling. I live near Houston but visit Victoria very often. If you ever need a helping hand when your milling please let me know. I'd be glad to be free labor just to see the process.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Today was shop materials day 20210611_124529.jpg
Local motorsports supplier had uncrated a shipment. 20210611_124541.jpg
Some are 1x3 side panels some are 2x4 and 2x3 floor panels. 20210611_124558.jpg
The floor panels have several dollars worth of bolts and screws in each