What free wood did you find today?

Well my neighbor finally decided to cut down his starfruit tree. I was actually returning home unexpectedly and found a crew cutting it and just about finished loading it up. I came to a screeching halt on my motorcycle and asked to take what I could. I got a few straight logs. I ran them home by foot into my garage. My wife was inside cutting vegetables. When I went in, she just looked at me with disdain and said, “you got REALLY lucky…didn’t you?” Truth is she hates my wood lying around the house and would prefer it all burned. Sorry wifey!

Turns out starfruit doesn’t look like much unfortunately, but I’m guessing some people will want samples of it. Maybe I can get it milled into a big blank and send it to @Mr. Peet to divvy up among whoever needs some in their collection??

View attachment 293970 View attachment 293971

Averrhoa carambola​

If it is this, yes, and I am sure Gary and Ryan and several others would be very wanting. Likely the same if it is another species too.
 
Well my neighbor finally decided to cut down his starfruit tree. I was actually returning home unexpectedly and found a crew cutting it and just about finished loading it up. I came to a screeching halt on my motorcycle and asked to take what I could. I got a few straight logs. I ran them home by foot into my garage. My wife was inside cutting vegetables. When I went in, she just looked at me with disdain and said, “you got REALLY lucky…didn’t you?” Truth is she hates my wood lying around the house and would prefer it all burned. Sorry wifey!

Turns out starfruit doesn’t look like much unfortunately, but I’m guessing some people will want samples of it. Maybe I can get it milled into a big blank and send it to @Mr. Peet to divvy up among whoever needs some in their collection??

View attachment 293970 View attachment 293971
What a bonanza! Not a wood I’ve seen ever. Thanks for thinking of us here on WB. Chuck
 
Hey @Byron Barker , yes, indeed, very unique and thank you for thinking of us! If there is extra I would like to lineup behind the others if you are offering pieces of it.
I’m going to mill a wet block and send it to one of you guys to season and you all can divvy it up for samples. I think that would be the best idea. I don’t have a work shop anymore and need to go to the mill (which costs per cut), so I don’t want to mill a bunch of smaller blanks. What do think?
 
I’m going to mill a wet block and send it to one of you guys to season and you all can divvy it up for samples. I think that would be the best idea. I don’t have a work shop anymore and need to go to the mill (which costs per cut), so I don’t want to mill a bunch of smaller blanks. What do think?
I think you need to procure a bandsaw for projects around the house. LARGE bandsaw for "bigger projects" ... Doesn't always work and sometimes backfires when she suddenly remembers a project she would have liked for you to make a while back but you didn't have the tools. YMMV :sofa: :drinks:
 
Well, almost free. Cost me $5 for 5 swap tickets at Front Range Wood Turners meeting last nigh5. Horrible picture, not sure what I did but I grabbed the box because a piece was labeled Norfolk Island Pine. Always wanted to turn a few pieces of that and see if I can get it translucent. Had another number called and found this little cholla in the corner. Does not measure up to what I hope to get from @Nubsnstubs Jerry, but thought for the ticket was worth to play around with so I don’t ruin the good stuff.

Will see what is in the rest of the box.

IMG_1498.webp IMG_1499.webp
 
Well, almost free. Cost me $5 for 5 swap tickets at Front Range Wood Turners meeting last nigh5. Horrible picture, not sure what I did but I grabbed the box because a piece was labeled Norfolk Island Pine. Always wanted to turn a few pieces of that and see if I can get it translucent. Had another number called and found this little cholla in the corner. Does not measure up to what I hope to get from @Nubsnstubs Jerry, but thought for the ticket was worth to play around with so I don’t ruin the good stuff.

Will see what is in the rest of the box.

View attachment 294223 View attachment 294224
Cool beans. What is the wood, upper left, first picture? Looks to have interlocked grain.
 
Well, almost free. Cost me $5 for 5 swap tickets at Front Range Wood Turners meeting last nigh5. Horrible picture, not sure what I did but I grabbed the box because a piece was labeled Norfolk Island Pine. Always wanted to turn a few pieces of that and see if I can get it translucent. Had another number called and found this little cholla in the corner. Does not measure up to what I hope to get from @Nubsnstubs Jerry, but thought for the ticket was worth to play around with so I don’t ruin the good stuff.

Will see what is in the rest of the box.

View attachment 294223 View attachment 294224
Congrats! Looking forward to see what you make with the NIP. Chuck
 
Well, almost free. Cost me $5 for 5 swap tickets at Front Range Wood Turners meeting last nigh5. Horrible picture, not sure what I did but I grabbed the box because a piece was labeled Norfolk Island Pine. Always wanted to turn a few pieces of that and see if I can get it translucent. Had another number called and found this little cholla in the corner. Does not measure up to what I hope to get from @Nubsnstubs Jerry, but thought for the ticket was worth to play around with so I don’t ruin the good stuff.

Will see what is in the rest of the box.

View attachment 294223 View attachment 294224
Garry, is that a hint I should get off my butte and get that box sent to you? I have a full box sitting here, but haven't gotten the energy to get it shipped, like about 3 other boxes I have made up. ............ Nubs
 
Garry, is that a hint I should get off my butte and get that box sent to you? I have a full box sitting here, but haven't gotten the energy to get it shipped, like about 3 other boxes I have made up. ............ Nubs
If you have an unclaimed box, put me on the list. Thanks! Chuck
 
Garry, is that a hint I should get off my butte and get that box sent to you? I have a full box sitting here, but haven't gotten the energy to get it shipped, like about 3 other boxes I have made up. ............ Nubs
Not at all. Just making sure you know what I lucked into is not a substitute for quality Cholla.
 
When we moved, there were two walnut twin beds my father made 63 years ago. I couldn’t give them away to any family members, as in no takers and since we have no room in the new house, I’ve decided to repurpose the wood.

I don’t want to sell them and would much prefer to handle wood my father handled and have the wood transformed into something that lives on.

I didn’t find it on the side of the road, but it’s free to me.

IMG_8302.webp
 
When we moved, there were two walnut twin beds my father made 63 years ago. I couldn’t give them away to any family members, as in no takers and since we have no room in the new house, I’ve decided to repurpose the wood.

I don’t want to sell them and would much prefer to handle wood my father handled and have the wood transformed into something that lives on.

I didn’t find it on the side of the road, but it’s free to me.

View attachment 294233
At least you can keep it in the family! It’s already an heirloom, and now when you repurpose it will carry a legacy! Chuck
 
When we moved, there were two walnut twin beds my father made 63 years ago. I couldn’t give them away to any family members, as in no takers and since we have no room in the new house, I’ve decided to repurpose the wood.

I don’t want to sell them and would much prefer to handle wood my father handled and have the wood transformed into something that lives on.

I didn’t find it on the side of the road, but it’s free to me.

View attachment 294233
Beautiful beds. Too bad your family can't use them and you have to cut them up.
 
Back
Top