Thanks Kevin- I hadn't seen this. John Hoik still has the custom Avedis Zildian cymbal I sold him back in college. Never should have done that.
Too bad the sound absolutely sucks on this.
Too bad the sound absolutely sucks on this.
Thanks Kevin- I hadn't seen this. John Hoik still has the custom Avedis Zildian cymbal I sold him back in college. Never should have done that.
Too bad the sound absolutely sucks on this.
Are you a drummer? Several of us on here.
Yes. Classically trained. However... if I had a nickel for every dive I played, I'd be rich today.
I had a good teacher:
He graduated with honors from the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, Mass., and was a percussion student at the Berkshire Music Center in Tanglewood, Mass., where he was a student of Leonard Bernstein.
As a concert percussionist, my teacher was a member of the Portland, Maine, Springfield, Mass., and Albany symphonies. He was also a member of the Boston Pops Orchestra, where he toured with Arthur Fiedler, and the Pittsburgh Symphony under William Steinberg.
He worked under conductors such as Aaron Copland, Andre Kostelanetz, Igor Stravinsky, Charles Munch, Lorin Maazel and Leonard Bernstein.
He taught percussion at Niskayuna High School for 10 years and at his private drum studio for 25 years. He also taught percussion at the University at Albany. I studdied with him at that time.
He played local theater percussion at the Four Seasons Dinner Theater; the Saratoga Spa Music Center; the Empire State Music Theater; the Schenectady Light Opera Company; and the Playhouse in the Park. He was also a community music director.
He had a little jazz group called the Blue Moods, and they played upstate NY around Lake Placid and Lake George. Great teacher - all around good guy.
Wasn't thrilled with the rock groups I played with. Wanted me to go to Juilliard. Oh well.

Being classically trained doesn't necessarily make a great musician. Thanks for the comments, but I'm sure you could out-chop me any day. I'm so out of practice. Excuses excuses, right?
Check this out :
I attended their last concert in Boston at the Back Bay Theatre. Somewhere I have a pair of sticks Joe gave me from that show.
I like the idea that drummers can become musicians and not just time keepers.

Being classically trained doesn't necessarily make a great musician. Thanks for the comments, but I'm sure you could out-chop me any day. I'm so out of practice. Excuses excuses, right?
Check this out :
I attended their last concert in Boston at the Back Bay Theatre. Somewhere I have a pair of sticks Joe gave me from that show.
I like the idea that drummers can become musicians and not just time keepers.
I did the same to Gene Krupa. He was so old and blind I didn't know who he was. Once I found out I apologized profusely and we had a great conversation. I was young and dumb. What can you say.
I did the same to Gene Krupa.
I used to be a drum roadie. Does that count?
![]()
Krupa played all the way up until '72.You caught him coherent at your age then when he was was in his latter years? ? You REALLY DID catch lighting!!!!

Krupa played all the way up until '72.
I saw him in '66 at Roths. He was pretty blind, but man could he still play.
I actually learned a lot from him.
Being classically trained doesn't necessarily make a great musician. Thanks for the comments, but I'm sure you could out-chop me any day. I'm so out of practice. Excuses excuses, right?
Check this out :
I attended their last concert in Boston at the Back Bay Theatre. Somewhere I have a pair of sticks Joe gave me from that show.
I like the idea that drummers can become musicians and not just time keepers.
Joe Morello was the first drummer to break the "time Keeper" barrier as far as I know. His solo on Take 5 and his method of playing on Take 5 (and many others) is legendary. He was just incredible in his day.
He's pretty great still - not sure if he's still alive....