What Wood Do Absolutely Hate To Use?

Fret440

Reaction score
First name
Jacob
It's probably heresy, but I don't like to use Western Red Cedar for guitar tops. The fibers pull too easily causing joint failures and it's too easy to mar the wood before putting finish on it. It also sounds like cardboard until you put strings on it.

Jacob

Molokai

Knife Maker
Reaction score
First name
Tomislav
Oak definitely. It warps and move even after decades of drying.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Had something called Chocolate Heart once - couldn't really find out what it was but it caused a respiratory issue for me.

Woodman

Kindling Maker
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I absolutely hate oak if it has less than about 10-12 annual rings per inch. However, I love slow growing oaks that have been ekeing out a living in the shade of larger trees and show 20 or more rpi. Blackjack Oak is one such. Sometimes I use a magnifying glass to count them if it's been sun starved. It's kind of a wiry scrub tree that never gets more than 15' high in the local woods due to poor soil along the Atlantic and sun blockage by white oaks and pines. It makes great strong gnarly hiking sticks(it doesn't grow straight) and very dense knife handles. In full sun they can grow a lot taller but then they don't interest me.
http://i594.Rule #2/albums/tt28/lakeridge3/100_1220.jpg

Last edited:

SDB777

Reaction score
First name
s
Oops, forgot about Black Palm(run out of thin CA halfway through turning)...stuff falls apart when I look at it!

Scott (I ain't too bright no ways) B

myingling

Reaction score
First name
mike
I got a thing for walnut ,,I use it but just don't like turning it

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Desert iron wood! Love the look of it but hate to work it because it clog up expensive belts, smell, is extremely hard and it's hard to get anything but CA to dry on it.

BrentWin

Custom sawdust maker
Reaction score
First name
Brent
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a thing for walnut ,,I use it but just don't like turning it
Ditto
But you ain't too dim neither. So have a nice cold Hamm's in the new space-age seamless aluminum cans.

:drinks2:

Man, I haven't seen a beer "from the land of sky blue waters" in a long time. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Lone Star for a long time either. Do they still have Pearl down in TX Kevin?

Nobby40

Reaction score
First name
Alex
Desert iron wood! Love the look of it but hate to work it because it clog up expensive belts, smell, is extremely hard and it's hard to get anything but CA to dry on it.
Yea, Have to go with Ironwood, dust is toxic, smells awful, there's a reason those Seri Indians used to use Machetes to carve it,they still might be for all I know. They used shoe polish as a finish.

NCWoodArt

I always get told I have nice wood.
Reaction score
First name
Bill
I don't like anything that has a lot of checks & voids in it. I will turn anything but don't love Camphor burl & Antler- smells horrible

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Man, I haven't seen a beer "from the land of sky blue waters" in a long time. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Lone Star for a long time either. Do they still have Pearl down in TX Kevin?

I don't know Brent. I haven't been a beer drinker for well over 10 years closer to 15 now that I think of it. I'm not even sure they make Pearl or Lone Star anymore, I'm like you, I never see it or hear anything about it. I'm retty sure they stopped making Hamm's though. Damn good thing too. And Schlitz. Yuck.

BrentWin

Custom sawdust maker
Reaction score
First name
Brent
This thread has been very informative. Not just us beechin about what we don't like, but saying why, which helps me with characteristics of different woods and thus revealing the likelihood of me liking them or not. Granted I might still try something, but I won't invest much into some of the open grained stuff that's been mentioned because that's a characteristic I hate.
Thanks guys.

Well, if you don't like open grained, put Zebra wood on your list. It looks great when you're done, but it is as open grained as oak.

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Ditto

Yep Brent, we still have pearl down here comes in a salmon/pink colored can.... Probably the worst beer I have ever tried besides arrogant bastard. Schlitz is around to, had a buddy from ol' Mexico that drinks the hell out of it... Stuff will give you the Schlitz Shitz as well... Love me some lone star though if I'm in a cheap mood

I hate desert ironwood, smells and is hard as a rock but it sure is pretty when done.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Any wood that does not do what i want it to or lets me cut it too short or any of the many other ways to screw it up- I HATE DUMB wood!!!!!:rulz:

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Yep Brent, we still have pearl down here comes in a salmon/pink colored can.... Probably the worst beer I have ever tried besides arrogant bastard. Schlitz is around to, had a buddy from ol' Mexico that drinks the hell out of it... Stuff will give you the Schlitz Shitz as well... Love me some lone star though if I'm in a cheap mood

I hate desert ironwood, smells and is hard as a rock but it sure is pretty when done.

You can't exactly make a trip to the lake or river without stocking up on Lonestar in a can.

As far as wood that I hate, right now it is African Blackwood. I got a splinter in the fold/webbing of my third finger on my right hand two weeks ago... you could have made a pepper mill out of this splinter, it was huge and DEEP. 45 minutes three people digging in my finger/hand and we finally got it all out.

BrentWin

Custom sawdust maker
Reaction score
First name
Brent
Any wood that does not do what i want it to or lets me cut it too short or any of the many other ways to screw it up- I HATE DUMB wood!!!!!:rulz:

Amen! I hate dumb wood. I had one piece that was so dumb, I cut it 3 times and it was STILL to short!

daugher12

Reaction score
First name
John
canarywood, it makes me feel like I have cotton stuffed in my head.