What's Growing in the Garden

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I envy you folks who can plant an outdoor garden. The deer here pretty much prohibit that. We're restricted to what we can plant in pots on the deck. But that has it's bright side too - means less shovel work for me. We're just coming into spring - the lawn is just coming out of dormancy and the daffodils are starting to bud. The iris leaves are growing longer now too.
Electric fence is my go to solution for deer and racoon in the garden. I just put one wire around the garden about 3' high as soon as things start growing. I bait it with strips of aluminum foil with gobs of peanut butter. Deer love peanut butter it gets them fence trained quick. When the corn gets about ripe I put a low wire for the racoons and skunks. Floating row covers are also great for early season protection from frost, insects, and animals.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Blueberry trees dying of cold. I have some in pots so I can put them on my deck which is one of the few places I have enough sun to grow em and they've survived down to -3 deg. Wait, duh....you probably have rabbiteyes - they are not as hardy. Anyway, that sucks and sorry to hear about the freeze kills. You might hold off digging to see if the roots are still alive. I have things that will die back but then sprout again from the roots.
I was wondering if anybody would catch that!! Actually Japanese Blueberry, a fast growing non edible decorative tree. These were mature tall and full!!

Everything green in this picture is dead except for the wisteria. There's 5 blueberry trees in that picture. Far upper right is one

IMG_20160802_130832782.jpg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
That's a new one to me! Any root burls? Just kidding! But in no uncertain terms that is a very nice outside living room!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thank you. but that's just part of it. Here's more

View attachment 207630
What do you need a house for - you got your kitchen, your dining room, and your living room! All you need a house for is a bathroom, a closet, and a bedroom! Nice! Real nice! In fact, it looks like all you have to do is to move a little furniture, throw down some powdered dance floor wax and do some fancy two-stepping under Friday night lights!

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Of the seeds we started a week ago in trays, a good amount of the flowers my wife did have started popping up. A few of the tomato seeds I did have started to pop out. Getting anxious to start planting things in the raised bed planter, but we're about a month out from that being able to happen. The gardeners here passed on to us that the general rule of thumb for our area is to wait until Memorial Day to plant seeds or transplant to get past the chance of frost. Or Lyle's rule is that when the maple trees start to bud, then the ground is warm enough to put seed in the ground. (Lyle is an old farmer from our church - one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our last average frost free date is April 20 (we had 27° on the 21st), so I'm getting things in the ground. Transplanted onions and planted peas, green onion, radish, lettuce and spinach this weekend. Hope to get tomatoes transplanted later this week. Started planting out flowers too.

The freeze on the 21st was the hardest we've had in a while. Actually froze off asparagus spears. Good news is cold air appeared to settle only in low areas. All the fruit trees are in bloom and don't appear to have been hurt by the freeze. Most of the fruit is planted on a gentle slope and that helps the cold air flow past them instead of settling around them.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got tomatoes in the ground today. Just dry enough to till, with rain forecast tonight and the next two days. It was now or wait another week.

Picture0502211721_1.jpg

Picture0502211722_1.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Only 16! Two cherry, 7 roma types and 7 slicing tomatoes. 9 different varieties total. May still put in a few more depending on the weather.
German neighbor used to grow ox-heart tomatoes. Bigger that an official men's softball, shaped like a heart, low seed count, meaty and low acidity. You ever grow any? Been talking about it for years, just have not done it yet.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I was wondering if anybody would catch that!! Actually Japanese Blueberry, a fast growing non edible decorative tree. These were mature tall and full!!

Everything green in this picture is dead except for the wisteria. There's 5 blueberry trees in that picture. Far upper right is one

View attachment 207629
Barry,

If you lost your Japanese blueberry trees, how big were the stems? Is it Elaeocarpus decipiens? I don't have any samples of that wood in my reference collection and would be interested...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
German neighbor used to grow ox-heart tomatoes. Bigger that an official men's softball, shaped like a heart, low seed count, meaty and low acidity. You ever grow any? Been talking about it for years, just have not done it yet.
I've not tried Ox Heart, but after reading some descriptions, it's going on my list for next year. I'm always looking for a good eating tomato that's meaty and good for sauce without cooking it forever.

I make most of my sauce with "Mariana", a large roma type. The only problem with it, it's determinate, and it's done earlier than I'd like.

A "new" variety I'm trying this year is "Old Brooks". It's an heirloom with early and late blight resistance, acidic with meaty interior, and said to be good for sauce.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Have you ever tried Bradley? Does well around here and has been my fav for years. Best BLT!

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry,

If you lost your Japanese blueberry trees, how big were the stems? Is it Elaeocarpus decipiens? I don't have any samples of that wood in my reference collection and would be interested...
@Mr. Peet Hey Mark they are big enough to have trunks not stems and it looks like they are all showing signs of life. Some really good some just teasing me. So I will not be touching them for some time in hopes of rejuvenation. I will keep you in mind if I take any down and yes they are Elaeocarpus decipiens

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Dumped rinse water after cleaning morels in this bed for a few years. Its been at least three years since I harvested any morels but always get at least a couple here every spring.

9C72FB5D-877F-4053-AA49-F38F4F6185F6.jpeg

C13BEB73-222D-408D-9718-BA31BD56AFD4.jpeg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
A mess of morels would sure taste good! I've lost my contact with the family i used to get some from.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Just some random plant and flower pictures around the yard tonight.

Some columbines. These are a cross between our locally native eastern red (Canadian), and the Colorado blue columbine.

columbine1.jpeg

columbine2.jpeg

A couple bachelor buttons.

bachelor button.jpeg

bachelor button2.jpeg

A couple of my favorite hostas. 'Blue angel' which is about 5 ft wide and 3 ft tall when fully expanded and 'fire island' with the yellow leaves and red stems.

hosta.jpeg

Last edited: