What's Growing in the Garden

Decided to make some soup for supper, so had to dig some spuds.

This is one hill of the Kennebec. A little scab, but no big deal. Always worry about hollow heart on tubers this big, but these were perfect all the way through.

PXL_20260930_223152627.webp
 
Not growing yet, but will be planted early spring. I just wanted you farmer types to see the difference in seed sizes. The larger seeds are Saguaro. The tiny dots are Arizona Fish Hooks. There seems to be quite a difference in size of these two. I wish my Queen of The Nights had podded this year. No such luck for the last 15 years. Get flowers, but no pods stay on long enough to make seeds. If they did, theirs would dwarf a Saguaro seed. IMG_7545.webp
........... Nubs
 
Not growing yet, but will be planted early spring. I just wanted you farmer types to see the difference in seed sizes. The larger seeds are Saguaro. The tiny dots are Arizona Fish Hooks. There seems to be quite a difference in size of these two. I wish my Queen of The Nights had podded this year. No such luck for the last 15 years. Get flowers, but no pods stay on long enough to make seeds. If they did, theirs would dwarf a Saguaro seed. View attachment 293941
........... Nubs
Good luck in planting/transplanting seeds that small. I tried once and I'm all thumbs.
 
Good luck in planting/transplanting seeds that small. I tried once and I'm all thumbs.
Just pick up a pinch and gently rub your fingers over a pot. Hardest part is getting good distribution.

Ever seen fibrous begonia, or petunia seeds? They are even smaller than the queen of the nights. Most of those seeds purchased today are pelletized for easier handling.
 
Saw this scary looking bug while picking lima beans yesterday. Called a wheel bug and is around 1.5" long. It is a beneficial insect that feeds on other insects by grabbing them with its front legs, piercing the body and injecting saliva that paralyzes and then liquefies the insides of prey. Suck the insides out and start looking for the next victim.

They aren't aggressive to humans, but if you disturb them too much, they can inflict a painful "bite" that can hurt for days, cause numbness around the bite area and take days to weeks to fully heal.

PXL_20261003_195033316~2.webp

PXL_20261003_195013069~2.webp

PXL_20261003_195038209~2.webp


A side note on insect classification. These are a member of a group called "true bugs" from the order Hemiptera. True bugs have piercing sucking mouthparts and incomplete metamorphosis (egg, nymph, adult) with no larval stage. Common example is the group of "stink bugs" or squash bugs.

When I was teaching entomology to Master Gardeners, I would use the line that "All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs". Meaning that in the entomology world calling something a bug refers to specific groups within the order Hemiptera, and it is incorrect to refer to most insects as bugs.
 
Last edited:
Saw this scary looking bug while picking lima beans yesterday. Called a wheel bug and is around 1.5" long. It is a beneficial insect that feeds on other insects by grabbing them with its front legs, piercing the body and injecting saliva that paralyzes and then liquefies the insides of prey. Suck the insides out and start looking for the next victim.

They aren't aggressive to humans, but if you disturb them too much, they can inflict a painful "bite" that can hurt for days, cause numbness around the bite area and take days to weeks to fully heal.

View attachment 294105

View attachment 294106

View attachment 294107


A side note on insect classification. These are a member of a group called "true bugs" from the order Hemiptera. True bugs have piercing sucking mouthparts and incomplete metamorphosis (egg, nymph, adult) with no larval stage. Common example is the group of "stink bugs" or squash bugs.

When I was teaching entomology to Master Gardeners, I would use the line that "All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs". Meaning that in the entomology world calling something a bug refers to specific groups within the order Hemiptera, and it is incorrect to refer to most insects as bugs.
Wicked!!!
 
Back
Top