When the Guitar God had other plans……

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I wasn’t going to post this, but this was heartbreaking. I’ll give you exhibit number 1 photo and you can figure out what transpired………..the saying goes “measure twice, cut once”., but not in this instance, more like “Lost in Translation”.

Guess what wood species this is & you get it right, you get the tiny cut-offs (2) from this resonant piece of musical wood! Lol. You just have to laugh when things like this happens……

IMG_7780.jpeg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Some value lost right there. What a shame. Beautiful wood. Is that an ebony?

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some value lost right there. What a shame. Beautiful wood. Is that an ebony?
Funny thing is I didn’t even partake in the actual activity in getting it to that stage. I just have to laugh about it after the fact- best therapy ever. It is not a diospyros species.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
It could pass for Santos rose in photo’s or from a certain distance. But it is not- “looks the part, but does not play the part”.

Someone has to know what this is before the end grain police come for my head!

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Alright, I have to be fair and let me give you more of the visual narrative- this is the opposite face of the long piece…….come on, I know there are some good “forensic woodworkers here”.

IMG_7794.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Tell me it isnt desert ironwood and I might forgive who ever made that mistake...
I dont get to see much fresh cut ironwood so I am seriously just winging this one. All my diw is older carvings that are nearly black

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
I wasn’t going to post this, but this was heartbreaking. I’ll give you exhibit number 1 photo and you can figure out what transpired………..the saying goes “measure twice, cut once”., but not in this instance, more like “Lost in Translation”.

Guess what wood species this is & you get it right, you get the tiny cut-offs (2) from this resonant piece of musical wood! Lol. You just have to laugh when things like this happens……

View attachment 256535
wtf :ohno::headscratch2:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Not all that many hardwoods more dense than Cocobolo that might resemble the pieces you’ve displayed. So my new guess is Camatillo. Chuck

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Tell me it isnt desert ironwood and I might forgive who ever made that mistake...
I dont get to see much fresh cut ironwood so I am seriously just winging this one. All my diw is older carvings that are nearly black
Bingo! You da man Frank @2feathers Creative Making! I would like 2 send you the 2 small pieces (3” x 2-3/16” x 1.125” thick)- they make really great knife handles and this could be a segmented one with the proper blade. PM and I will send you something else with it!

You have to forgive and forget Frank- I did just that because he is a very good friend of mine who would do anything for me. You know I don’t have a shop (since I moved back to New York) so he helps me out anytime I need help- he even offered me to let me use his shop, he said anytime I need it. He texted me and I knew something wasn’t right. I came over he looked really distraught and kept apologizing. I told him $h*t happens. I sat across the park for a little bit and I texted him to let him know that it was alright, that the wood can be replaced and/or an opportunity might come up again, that our friendship is much, much more important than a piece of wood. Sometimes a text is not enough, so I came over and brought him something and to talk to him just to assure him that I was also was at fault, that I should have not assumed that he understood what I wanted done. Hence, “Lost in Translation”. I just didn’t want to have a “barrier or awkwardness between us” or for him to feel that I would never trust him to do things for me ever again.

So my next step is to bring him a piece as soon as I can so he can get passed this. It is like baseball is when a relief pitcher/closer comes in to relief a starter and things don’t go as planned. The next game or the following game, the manager will come back to his “trusted” closer to close out the game when it is needed. It’s a way to bring the closer’s confidence back and to let the closer know that “he trust him in every and any situation”.

I am going to save that fretboard for him and perhaps surprise him with something musical down the road.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Not all that many hardwoods more dense than Cocobolo that might resemble the pieces you’ve displayed. So my new guess is Camatillo. Chuck
Not a bad guess Chuck, Camatillo is also is very dense and tend to have the same striated surface grain lines.

Thank you to everyone that participated and for playing.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
That was a very nice size piece of Diw right there! I was only kidding about not forgiving. I have had workers ruin 120 dollar boards for decking multiple times. I had a mis cut aluminum post hold up a job for two weeks, stuff like this happens. It just teaches you patience.
( I hate learning patience...)

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
That was a very nice size piece of Diw right there! I was only kidding about not forgiving. I have had workers ruin 120 dollar boards for decking multiple times. I had a mis cut aluminum post hold up a job for two weeks, stuff like this happens. It just teaches you patience.
( I hate learning patience...)
It teaches you that even the very best of them, that they are human and we are all bound to make mistakes along the way. We always get caught up looking at our side of things and forget what the other party is going through and how they are coping. I always believe that if there something that didn’t quite seem to go as plan, find a way to make it “net positive”. Figure out a way to restore trust, faith, confidence and bring things back to focus where it really counts and matters.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Still good for bridges, headstock plates, end grafts.
You are wise Doug @DLJeffs - this morning I was trying to figure out what to make for him out of the left over long piece. I have a koa uke build I have been sitting on for a long time awaiting for the proper remaining wood components. I won’t quite make the footprint of the uke fretboard because of sneaky checks inside the pattern. So I am going to cut the two bridge blank that matches and put it in a Damascus pattern chef knife- it is either a gyuto and santoku that I will gift to him on his upcoming birthday. I have to find a member here who can stabilize it.

Having said that I was actually thinking of you about this piece. I think you should be able to salvage a belly bridge and a pyramid bridge, graft wedge, headstock, rosette, etc. I would like to offer you the remaining fall outs if you are interested. It makes radiating rosette inlays and insets as DI has high chatoyance with shimmer and sparkle- I described it at a post a long time ago as “metallic filament strands”. PM me with your addy and I will get it out to you once I get this cut.

Arn

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Thanks Arn. Sent you a note. I was wondering about a uke fret. Do you make dulcimers? Maybe something there.

Last edited: