White Mango: 9x9 or 9" round (5/8" to 1" thick)

SA-Motors

Member
Full Member
Messages
721
Reaction score
814
Location
Raleigh, NC
First name
Steven
Wanted: 9" diameter circle (or 9" x 9" square) that is about 3/4 thick. But here's what makes this request difficult. I need the mango to be as white and defect free as possible, but with curl. I know half the beauty in mango is the coloration and staining, but for this project I need something as uniform in color as possible and as light as possible. 1 piece is enough, but I'd buy or trade enough for 2 if anyone has it. No cookies though. Anyone have a large mango bowl blank that might work?

I'd be delighted if someone has any!
 
White will be hard to get as most folks on here only have access to 'indica' which has a yellow tinged wood to start. Only white I have seen in that species was bleached. And to get all sapwood, that would be from a really big tree. Good luck.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Coated in wax, so it’s a bit lighter than it looks. About 9 1/4” square and 2” thick a few minor bug holes along the edges. May be outside the circle

IMG_1861.webp IMG_1862.webp IMG_1864.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Hey Fred, that’s looking pretty good. The curl is absolutely beautiful in it and it’s the right size. Thanks for digging it out. I’m contemplating whether it’s going to be light enough. I would ultimately finish it with an acrylic spar urethane which will help. While I’m giving this some additional thought, any chance you could show me a photo of the other side? Do you have a sense as to whether it’s dry and ready to use or still has moisture?
 
I have a block that started out quite white but now its blue, green, red, etc lol. Never heard of a wood that can stain that easily after already being processed and stored indoors! Its not curly anyway.

BTW, Diamond Tropical Hardwoods is only about 45min from me. Ive actually been meaning to take a trip up there to see what they got. I got a slab list from them a year or so ago but never ended up going. They seem a little pricey with some things, but they have several fairly uncommon species.
 
Hey Fred, that’s looking pretty good. The curl is absolutely beautiful in it and it’s the right size. Thanks for digging it out. I’m contemplating whether it’s going to be light enough. I would ultimately finish it with an acrylic spar urethane which will help. While I’m giving this some additional thought, any chance you could show me a photo of the other side? Do you have a sense as to whether it’s dry and ready to use or still has moisture?
I’ve had it about 5 years. So should be fairly dry. I could try and scrape some wax off to get a better idea of the color. And sorry, didn’t realize I sent the same side twice lol

IMG_1863.webp
 
I have a block that started out quite white but now its blue, green, red, etc lol. Never heard of a wood that can stain that easily after already being processed and stored indoors! Its not curly anyway.

BTW, Diamond Tropical Hardwoods is only about 45min from me. Ive actually been meaning to take a trip up there to see what they got. I got a slab list from them a year or so ago but never ended up going. They seem a little pricey with some things, but they have several fairly uncommon species.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10
Hi Fred, thanks for the backside pic. It’s such a nice piece. I’m gonna give it a go! Thank you again for digging it out. Lets PM together on next steps.
 
I have a block that started out quite white but now its blue, green, red, etc lol. Never heard of a wood that can stain that easily after already being processed and stored indoors! Its not curly anyway.

BTW, Diamond Tropical Hardwoods is only about 45min from me. Ive actually been meaning to take a trip up there to see what they got. I got a slab list from them a year or so ago but never ended up going. They seem a little pricey with some things, but they have several fairly uncommon species.
You need to get there! The warehouse is huge and full of everything you can imagine. I went many years ago when my uncle used to live right down the street. Got a great tour and picked up two huge monkeypod blocks.
 
You need to get there! The warehouse is huge and full of everything you can imagine. I went many years ago when my uncle used to live right down the street. Got a great tour and picked up two huge monkeypod blocks.
I know. I barely get to any brick & mortar stores. Kevin Yardley posts all their wood on Facebook marketplace all the time though. He basically floods marketplace 24/7
 
The Indonesian sellers on Facebook often carry pieces like this. Here's an example, though only 8" wide.

I've bought from him a couple of times and been more than happy. In fact I have two nice spindles of his white mango (for a white mango/black avocado flute)
 
The Indonesian sellers on Facebook often carry pieces like this. Here's an example, though only 8" wide.

I've bought from him a couple of times and been more than happy. In fact I have two nice spindles of his white mango (for a white mango/black avocado flute)
Honestly, I really don't trust any of those guys. They may send you what's in the photo they advertise, but I don't think its the species they claim it to be. All of their wood looks exactly the same in terms of grain and the heavy curly figure. They just dye it pink and call it curly pink ivory or dye it black and call it curly black avocado. Its just so unrealistic that they would ONLY carry heavily figured wood. Its also unrealistic that they would have such highly figured pieces for species that are not known to have figure (e.g., Avocado). I suspect there is a species native to the region that is both inexpensive and often exhibits heavy figure, and that is what they are shipping out with other names attached to it. Surren is a possibility, but there may be others.
 
Back
Top