Wolf Totem Hiking Stick

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I don’t do much hand carving, but decided that I’d like to try a few pieces this winter. I got a used book - Carving Wolves, Foxes, and Coyotes - that helped me immensely. I then used my pyrography pen and acrylics to paint the face and decorate the rest of it. It’s capped off with a copper tip and finished with Danish Oil.

I’d love to hear your honest critique and tips on how I can improve on the next one.

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Very detailed for a hiking stick! That one would be a city stick. I would be wary of damaging that one. The carving is excellent for a hiking stick. I have seen very few dogface sticks. Plenty of snakes, several duck and eagle, and the occasional wood spirit, but can't recall too many wolf/coyote/fox heads

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I really like it! Sure has an Indian flair. Is there a meaning behind the collection of symbols you have used? Your carving skills are beyond elementary! Chuck

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Very cool, Steve! No critique from me, I love it!

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Beautiful job Steve - I hope I can find some time to try something like that and hope it would end-up half that good. Excellent.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Wonderful work! Do the individual totems have significance to you, or were they chosen for artistic reasons?

Not a critique, but an observation, I'm sure you could make the carving more "lifelike", but if you had, wouldn't have fit on a totem "stick" stylistically. It fits the theme/style of the other totems well.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Branching" out, Steve? Very cool! That's a lot of work.

What's the wood?

Trying to Tom! I’m not sure what type of wood it is. It’s been around for many year. The wolf’s head is basswood though.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Wonderful work! Do the individual totems have significance to you, or were they chosen for artistic reasons?

Not a critique, but an observation, I'm sure you could make the carving more "lifelike", but if you had, wouldn't have fit on a totem "stick" stylistically. It fits the theme/style of the other totems well.

Thanks Tim! They do have some significance for me, though many of them can interpreted many different ways.

I appreciate the observation on the realism and hadn’t thought about it that way. You’re probably right about it, but I was going for the most realistic look I could get. I need to work on my painting of hair to get the fur down much better than it is. I never really painted much - other than with a roller and much bigger brushes 🤪

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks Tim! They do have some significance for me, though many of them can interpreted many different ways.

I appreciate the observation on the realism and hadn’t thought about it that way. You’re probably right about it, but I was going for the most realistic look I could get. I need to work on my painting of hair to get the fur down much better than it is. I never really painted much - other than with a roller and much bigger brushes 🤪
I've never done much painting other than eyes on a couple turned cats and I spent over an hour practicing for them, still weren't that good. Think the fur may be where you need a really old brush! You know, the ones that only have about one hair left! :wink:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
You might try using a wire brush on a piece of scrap and then you coat it with a base color, followed by dry brushing your highlight color. The texture will then make the fur instead of trying to create it using paints only

That’s a great idea and I may play around with that for the next one! I watched a number of videos on YouTube on painting fur, but just couldn’t get it right and nearly as fine as I wanted to.

I think I’m going to try a bear for my next one. Thanks for the suggestion!!