Wood ID on Brazilian/Mexican Desk

Jacob Abel

Reaction score
First name
Jacob
Hi there!

Im curious If someone might know what kind of wood this is on this mid century desk I have. It’s assumed to have been possibly made by a Brazilian or Mexican designer, but I’m unsure of its history.

I tried getting a decent shot of end grain at the bottom of the solid leg.

I also took some other pics of the frame and the top as well.

It looks kind of like a type of rosewood To me but I’m unsure. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

3E070BEC-C135-4ED0-82B6-8F02376215D1.jpeg

1E378B32-35FA-4900-B274-FE79AEF29A8E.jpeg

433DC91C-FD47-4259-985E-E17946AA8B0D.jpeg

19B8E3D6-B66F-4308-B80E-7607D0B8C35E.jpeg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Brazil to Mexico, only a few thousand trees to consider if a commercial wood. Guessing tropical from endgrain, see some banding, brown wood.... this should be fun. To help out, take a black-light and see if your freshly sanded end grain shows any response. If it has several components that come apart, take one component and measure all the wood for volume, then weigh it to get a density. Then do the same with a second component to get a better average and share your findings. It would be good to have a little cleaner end grain shot at a better resolution. Paul might have some tips too.

@phinds

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I can't help on the ID, but that top is wild looking. I'll bet it took some thought to organize the pattern. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm wondering if the top is veneer or not (looks to me like it is) and whether it is a different kind of wood than the rest (also looks to me like it is). Can you tell by looking? A well-veneered top can be hard to spot if the bottom and edges are covered up.

Jacob Abel

Reaction score
First name
Jacob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm wondering if the top is veneer or not (looks to me like it is) and whether it is a different kind of wood than the rest (also looks to me like it is). Can you tell by looking? A well-veneered top can be hard to spot if the bottom and edges are covered up.

I agree the top is more than likely veneered based on the construction. While although all side and bottom are covered. I’m guessing veneer, while the rest of the piece I believe is solid.

I actually just heard back from the previous owner and they said it was “Cherry”. But I’m not sure if they are only referring to the top of the rest of the piece. I also agree with you that the top and the frame looks Different from eachother.

I looked up “Brazilian Cherry” online and it certainly seems like a possibility especially on the frame portion.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I looked up “Brazilian Cherry” online and it certainly seems like a possibility especially on the frame portion.
Hm ... doesn't look much like jatoba to me but I could be wrong. Compare it to the stuff on my jatoba page and see what you think.

Jacob Abel

Reaction score
First name
Jacob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hm ... doesn't look much like jatoba to me but I could be wrong. Compare it to the stuff on my jatoba page and see what you think.

do you happen to have a direct link for that thread?

I couldn’t find a search bar in the ID threads.

thanks!