ye ol' .22

justturnin

Banned
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Mentioned this revolver in Shoeless Joe's thread but wanted to share some pics and see if anyone has any firsthand knowledge for her. It has two cylinders (one LR and one Magnum). She has some Bluing wear and a chip on the grip but other than that seems to be a solid plinker.

I wanted to take her to the farm this past weekend but forgot. Only got to shot the .40.

She is a Hawes Firearms Co, "Wester Sixshooter" made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn

I did some reading online and they appear to be decent guns and are knockoffs of the old Colt SAA.

2013-09-04+11.04.21.jpg

2013-09-04+11.04.32.jpg

2013-09-04+11.05.04.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I'm sure a search would turn up plenty of info about the gun, but my guess is it's a high quality piece of iron. I never heard of any junk coming out of Germany that had to do with machining and manufacturing. :nea: Well, of course at the time there was a West and East Germany, there was junk coming out of the eastern part but I don't count that - it was under the rule of communism which doesn't usually lend itself to high standards of manufacturing. West Germany as we all know was still cranking out among the highest quality tooling and machinery on the planet.

What kind of grouping have you got with it?

justturnin

Banned
Reaction score
First name
Chris
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin said:

Never shot it. I got it about 12-13 years ago when my dad passed. I put it in the closet with his Browning 12GA and forgot about them. Forgot about the Browning because it is a Right Handed Semi and I shoot left and this because I did not want to mess it up because I knew nothing about guns back them.

Next time I go to the farm I will take it with me. I am considering putting some feelers out there and see what some new grips would cost for it.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
justturnin said:
Kevin said:

Never shot it. I got it about 12-13 years ago when my dad passed. I put it in the closet with his Browning 12GA and forgot about them. Forgot about the Browning because it is a Right Handed Semi and I shoot left and this because I did not want to mess it up because I knew nothing about guns back them.

Next time I go to the farm I will take it with me. I am considering putting some feelers out there and see what some new grips would cost for it.

That is a decent little revolver. Not a high money gun but it should make a good shooter. I do not think these have a transfer bar safety that prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the gun is dropped, If you plan to carry it keep the chamber under the hammer empty. I mark one chamber on my single actions with a drop of red nail polish and always leave that one empty, the nail polish makes it easy to see if it is under the hammer. Accuracy can vary somewhat from chamber to chamber in a revolver so if you spend time testing each one you can designate the least accurate as the empty one. I have had more modern six shooters that have the transfer bar and I still carried them with 5 beans in the wheel.

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
Colt stopped production of the SAA in '40 or '41, right before the war. By the early 50's, many had been snatched up by collectors and Hollywood was not able to get enough single actions to make movies. Several companies started up making the old Colt. I can't remember the names but there were several. With the price of originals through the roof, and copies being made and sold, Colt decided to bring back the SAA in about '57 to satisfy the new demand. These were dubbed "second generation" single actions. Gary