You got more options.....

justturnin

Banned
Reaction score
First name
Chris
I know a lot of folks like to use the flat rate and I agree they really simplify everything. One thing I notice is that a lot of folks jump to a MFRB when the SFRB wont cut the mustard. Not so fast, have you looked into the Padded Envelopes? That is my go to 50% of all my shipments. I can fit 2-3 times more pen blanks as well as call blanks that are too long/thick for the SFRB. It costs about $0.75 more (online) but holds a ton extra. When I ship via the Padded envelope I will pack everything in there as tight as possible and close it up as tight as possible, then I stuff it in another padded envelope for extra protection. I have shipped domestic and over seas like this and never had an issue.

What else? Well say you are too much for the Padded envelope so you reach for the MFRB stop just another second and reach instead for some Regional Boxes.

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-regional-rate.htm

I can ship many times in a regional A box for less than the padded envelope and it is a great in between for the SFRB and MFRB costing between $7-$9. Then there is the Regional B box. This box is larger than the MFRB and many times can ship for less or can save your customer money because you dont have to bump them to the LFRB for that extra inch. Skip the Regional C, too expensive, do fedex instead. There are a couple of catchs to Regional boxes, the weight limits are less (15lbs for A and 25lbs for B & C) and from my understanding they are online only. What, you dont have a USPS online account? What is stopping you? Create one, they are free and save you tons of money. How can it save you money? Great question, first and foremost you dont have to go to the post office EVER AGAIN, you can schedule pickups at your house through your account and order all of your supplies online through your account. Second shipping cost less online than in the post office. Even better NO LINES to wait in. Buy a 200 pack of sticky labels from Amazon for cheap

Once you are done creating that USPS account stop in at fedex.com and create one there to. I recently shipped a 24x24x18 box weighing over 60lbs from OK to TX for $30. Can't do that in a flat rate. Once you get out of the flat rate box sizes FedEx ground crushes USPS's rates. Check them out. When you go on fedex and calculate the rate you get is actually higher than if you had logged into your account and done it. When I buy items here that are too much for Flat Rates, even here, I ask for the box dems and weight and provide the label myself for less than could have been done via flat rate. All I do is buy it and email it over as a PDF. I have two boxes the size of Reg C boxes on the way to be delivered via fedex today. Total cost for both boxes was about $36 from FL, Reg C would have been over $30 each. FedEx Ground is a great option that should always be on the table when dealing w/ large boxes.

I hope this helps because I know it really can complicate things but since I started doing this I save myself and my customers money and time.

Questions, please ask away. I will answer to the best of my abilities.