A true Texas fact

any of you texans have any of this plant?

The Texas zig-zag fern (Pellaea ovata) is a rare, drought-tolerant native desert fern known for its unique angular, zig-zagging rachis (the main stem of the frond)


youtube]AqsCkSfXxuk
Pretty cool video, but the high light for me was at 25 seconds and 1:05 seconds. There is a chunk of flint near the bottom left of each time line. I drooled when I saw that as I've got at least in hours time, about 5-6 days total looking for flintknapping material, and Edwards Plateau in Hill Country does not disappoint. And, no, I do not recall ever seeing a plant with leaf and stem patterns like that. If I had, I would have taken notice and wood have remembered seeing it. ............. Nubs
 
i'd be interested in buying a stem with spores for growing
Trev,
Pretty rare. I have only seen one in the wild. There are a few places that might have some for sale. And my brother worked an Inks Lake State Park where a variety longhorn caverns has been found- so I have him checking with old friends. Jim
 
Trev,
Pretty rare. I have only seen one in the wild. There are a few places that might have some for sale. And my brother worked an Inks Lake State Park where a variety longhorn caverns has been found- so I have him checking with old friends. Jim
thx, i understand they can be grown from the spores on the underside of the "leaves"
 
On this day in 1835, the spark that ignited the Texas Revolution was struck in Gonzales.

September 27, 1835: Lieutenant Francisco de Castaneda of the Mexican Army departed San Antonio with 100 dragoons on a mission to retrieve a cannon from American colonists. What he didn't expect was the fierce determination of ordinary Texans who refused to surrender their piece of artillery.

The Gonzales colonists had received the bronze six-pound cannon in 1831 for protection against hostile Indians. When Mexican authorities demanded its return, the colonists buried it in a peach orchard and took up arms. They adopted a defiant motto that would echo through Texas history: "Come and Take It."

This September 27 expedition led directly to the Battle of Gonzales on October 2, 1835, considered the first military engagement of the Texas Revolution. What began as a dispute over a single cannon evolved into a revolution that would ultimately lead to Texas independence.

The "Come and Take It" spirit that emerged from Gonzales continues to resonate in Texas culture today, symbolizing the independent and defiant character that has defined the Lone Star State since its founding.

This is the Texas we remember. This is the Texas we honor.

Be Texas Proud.
 
Back
Top