Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Sorry Paul,

Just frustrated to see with the boom of internet how if a lie is repeated so much it becomes acceptable. Lombardy poplar is a variety of European Black poplar, var. italica, and any plant forum that portrays it differently is either uneducated or misleading the masses for a reason. I see it in plant nurseries often. Greed, making a sale. The old act as if you know, but with today's technology, getting it right should be easier, and it bothers me to think you would be on the bandwagon misinforming users on your site when you started the site to better inform.
Yeah, between your last post and this one, I briefly did some more research and I completely agree w/ you and am going to change things on my site accordingly. Thanks.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Mr. Peet one more question. I find that the technical term is "cultivar". That is, Lombardy poplar is, technically, Populus nigra cultivar Italica. My impression was that "var", which you use, meant "variety" but is that synonymous with cultivar or is it even more direct and the "var" is just a contraction of cultivar ?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@Mr. Peet one more question. I find that the technical term is "cultivar". That is, Lombardy poplar is, technically, Populus nigra cultivar Italica. My impression was that "var", which you use, meant "variety" but is that synonymous with cultivar or is it even more direct and the "var" is just a contraction of cultivar ?

That was just my laziness, using var. to cover two with one stone. The use of var. more often does imply variety, versus cultivar. No, variety and cultivar are not synonymous, but sometimes with certain plants, just happen to be. There are hairs split and fine lines that should not be needed for your purpose. 'Italica' is a cultivar.

Cultivars often trace lineage back to a few individuals or a very small area like 100 square miles or something. A variety is more of a natural variation within a population found on a much larger scale. Over simplified, but hope it makes sense.

Last edited: