Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've got an issue with my relatively new chainsaw. It's got gas and bar oil. The chain is sharp and properly tensioned. I blew out the air filter(should've done that sooner). It starts just fine, but it seems to bog down and die about 3 seconds into the cut... Nice curls then nada. The wood is silver maple, and I'm not 'standing' on the saw during the cut. Any thoughts?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It'll go for more than a minute... It's just sitting at my feet and running right now...

WoodLove

If I cant turn it, then it's time to burn it.
Reaction score
First name
Jamie
sounds like a small piece of trash in the carb clogging the high idle jet..... when you give it the fuel it clogs up..... just my guess..... possible time to rebuild the carb.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
sounds like a small piece of trash in the carb clogging the high idle jet..... when you give it the fuel it clogs up..... just my guess..... possible time to rebuild the carb.
That sucks if that's the case... I bought this thing new, and I only drive it to church and back.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I just ran it wide open for about 20 seconds(air cutting)with no troubles...

WoodLove

If I cant turn it, then it's time to burn it.
Reaction score
First name
Jamie
I just ran it wide open for about 20 seconds(air cutting)with no troubles...
there may be a metal shaving in there from the manufacturing.... again, just a thot. if its still new take it back for a non-stupid acting chainsaw. lol

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The reason I was asking if it would idle for a long time was to determine if it ran Ok on the low speed circuit of the carb and was getting fuel. If it runs cutting air at wide open throttle but boggs under a load then it may just need a simple carb adjustment. Run it up here and I'll fix it for ya. LOL

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Looks like the carb adjustment is right here... Maybe I'll fiddle with it a bit.
image.jpg

I took it back out to the wood for a second, and it dies if I do any more than point it at the chunk of wood. In other words, it dies under load of any kind.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well it definitely sounds like the carb. Be carefull if you fiddle with the carb, Only turn the high speed screw counter clockwise to richen the mixture. If you don't know what you are doing you can damage the motor with a bad carb adjust. It may also be a dirty carb or a hardened diaphragm in the carb from alcohol in our fuel these days. If you adjust it richer and it does not improve, take it back to the dealer and have a pro fix it. You wouldn't want me performing my own surgery now would you? LOL

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Bummer. And no nurses around to throw it at nor administrators to blame!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Bummer. And no nurses around to throw it at nor administrators to blame!
I'll get to you people in a minute... I gotta sick patient to tend to first!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The adjustments need to be made with the air filter and cover in place, The adjustments are done in very small increments, an 1/8 or 1/16 turn will make large changes. I do it while it is running and by ear, I listen to the motor, I adjust it to run rich, when it starts to slow down from a too rich mixture I back it off a tad until the rpm comes back up but still runs rich for safety's sake. Any off this making sense? I can show you easier than I can tell you. I usually advise people that if they don't know how to tune a 2 stroke to let the pro's do it or you can destroy the engine.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Sorry, but you did kind of walk into that one!:nutkick:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Doc just saw an extra arm off this week and buy that new saw. :haggle:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
A big thanks to Greg for the carb adjustment advice... I tweaked it a tad and finished up the piece I was trying to break down. I'll take it to the pros to make sure I didn't do anything bad.:praise:

No thanks to Henry and Kevin... You two can go back to leaning on your shovels!:blbl:

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
As if you would have taken any advice from an administrator, regardless of how much you were running into a brick wall.:wall3:

SDB777

Reaction score
First name
s
What kind of fuel/oil mixture you running?
Gas old?
Gas have ethanol in it?
40:1 or 50:1?

I run Stihl's.....

Both run like crap on old gas(low octane w/ethanol) and 40:1(standard mix oil crud)
They will both run at WOT with no issues without a load on the above, but drop the hammer even in a piece of pine and I get the same!

Both run like super hero's on steroids on fresh gas (highest octane no ethanol I can find) and 50:1(synth)
Start second pull, idle all day, WOT in any wood I choose to stick it in...as long as the chain is respectable and such.

See what I'm getting at...maybe? Sometimes the simple things are the easiest to check first.
The saw should have been set up by the shop you bought it from. Carb adjusting should not have been necessary?

Scott (WOT = wide open throttle, before someone asks) B