Cribbage board

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I figured it would be something like, gramps used a mastodon tusk for a board from one great gramps killed in his youth and used the bones of his enemies for pegs with a deck of stone cards.

:sofa::old:
Makin stuff with bones of enemies is a tradition family continues. Smart alek islanders should keep that in mind!!!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
There's probably some kind of island karma in the fact that a piece of Hawai'ian koa somehow got to a guy in Wisconsin, and was then sent back to Hawai'i to become a cribbage board to carry on a family tradition.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's probably some kind of island karma in the fact that a piece of Hawai'ian koa somehow got to a guy in Wisconsin, and was then sent back to Hawai'i to become a cribbage board to carry on a family tradition.
Yes, and I for one think it is a very solid tradition that all should take heed. Everyone should immediately go collect all the Hawaiian wood from your hoarding and send to me for proper usage. If you don't do this you will be guilty of cultural appropriation. That is a sin and very bad juju if you didn't know that. Since you are now aware of essentially committing a crime I will expect several pm's to be sent with urgency in finding out the shipping details here.

Please don't feel the need to make long-winded messages filled with your heartfelt apologies or drone on about what a humanitarian I am for providing this opportunity to the group. Just get my address, send the Hawaiian woods and sleep better knowing you are doing the right thing.

You're welcome 😇

Since I now have an apprentice @Jasonparadis my production has increased by 5... no 3%... maybe, so more wood is helpful to ensure your crimes are absolved.

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Don - have you seen my lei? I tossed it into the ocean per island tradition back in 1979 when I left after my duty assignment ended. Isn't it supposed to return to the island or something?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Yes, and I for one think it is a very solid tradition that all should take heed. Everyone should immediately go collect all the Hawaiian wood from your hoarding and send to me for proper usage. If you don't do this you will be guilty of cultural appropriation. That is a sin and very bad juju if you didn't know that. Since you are now aware of essentially committing a crime I will expect several pm's to be sent with urgency in finding out the shipping details here.

Please don't feel the need to make long-winded messages filled with your heartfelt apologies or drone on about what a humanitarian I am for providing this opportunity to the group. Just get my address, send the Hawaiian woods and sleep better knowing you are doing the right thing.

You're welcome 😇

Since I now have an apprentice @Jasonparadis my production has increased by 5... no 3%... maybe, so more wood is helpful to ensure your crimes are absolved.
Sounds like a sneaky way of hoarding koa.
I might have to track down that template. Have a bunch of koa and other thins... we need better than our plastic traveling board.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Sounds like a sneaky way of hoarding koa.
I might have to track down that template. Have a bunch of koa and other thins... we need better than our plastic traveling board.
You don't know nothing ya old coot!

Pay no attention to the :old: rambling and send pm for shipping details.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
The pegs were rolling around inside the compartment so I came up with this holder for them. It fits inside the box and used pin stock to hinge on sides for easy access. Not perfect but functional.

20210725_150236.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I assume the section with the pegs flips up so you can remove pegs and folds down for storage. That's a fantastic solution to a wee problem with boards that have a compartment to store pegs and cards.

Last edited:

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I assume the section with the pegs flips up so you can remove pegs and folds down for storage. That's a fantastic solution to a wee problem with boards that have a compartment to store pegs and cards.
Yes, it folds up and down, used a pin to hinge the pivot point

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Yes, it folds up and down, used a pin to hinge the pivot point
That's a great design Don. In fact, one wouldn't even have to hide that in an inside compartment. You could simply route a rectangular space,, insert that peg holder, leaving it visible from the outside. For example, I could simply replace the owl or quail engraving on my boards with that flip up peg holder. Nice!

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
That's a great design Don. In fact, one wouldn't even have to hide that in an inside compartment. You could simply route a rectangular space,, insert that peg holder, leaving it visible from the outside. For example, I could simply replace the owl or quail engraving on my boards with that flip up peg holder. Nice!
Patent pending! Royalties may be paid cash or fine woods.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
It saddens me that the simple reward of contributing to the betterment of mankind is insufficient.
It is my right to profit from coming up with an idea that others had decades or more to come up with and didn't. Just like it's your right to cry all the way to the post office when sending me wood. I'll PM my address. And a hankey...