**ENDED** English walnut?????

brown down

Member
Full Member
Messages
2,288
Reaction score
1,617
Location
pennsylvania
First name
jeff
I have access to a very large English walnut. I can only use so much! Now the tree guys cut it up into about 2 foot long sections but they are that or larger round. Is anyone interested in any of this timber I will be grabbing this soon within the next day or so
 
brown down said:
I have access to a very large English walnut. I can only use so much! Now the tree guys cut it up into about 2 foot long sections but they are that or larger round. Is anyone interested in any of this timber I will be grabbing this soon within the next day or so
I would grab all you can, it will sell here. That's great turning stuff and good size too! You could cut the pith out and still have good size turning blanks.:good::good2:
 
woodtickgreg said:
brown down said:
I have access to a very large English walnut. I can only use so much! Now the tree guys cut it up into about 2 foot long sections but they are that or larger round. Is anyone interested in any of this timber I will be grabbing this soon within the next day or so
I would grab all you can, it will sell here. That's great turning stuff and good size too! You could cut the pith out and still have good size turning blanks.:good::good2:
Greg's right - grab all you can get ! I would be interested if you find some nice figure.
Scott
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
Ok there is a ton of crotch and large chuncks. I have never worked with it but imagine its pretty stuff. He also offered a large dead standing black walnut. Some of this down by the base would make a nice slab table. He said I can have the entire tree but there is no way I don't have any room so I figured I would offer my fellow wood junkies a piece of the action:greeting:
 
Sounds interesting! I'd get all you can... I might be interested in some as well!
 
I would get all that I could hide under the bed and anywhere else that I could stash it.:biggrin: I have interest maybe.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
There will be plenty to go around they are giving me the whole tree. He is even going to load it with his tractor and deliver it:yipee::yipee: some of these logs I am still scratching my head on how I am going to cut it may need a larger bar:sarcastic::sarcastic:
 
The wife will most likely kill me, but deal me in on the interest in this log. If there are any 'plain' parts of said tree they'd probably be pretty good for carving!
 
jimmythewoodworker said:
:greeting:

:yipee::yipee::yipee: :jtaew: :woodfix: :treehugger: :hookup: :pleasantry:

Oh by the way.................. I'm interested :teethlaugh::teethlaugh:

In the whole tree or half?:davidguil:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #15
this stuff stinks to high heaven. i mean literally it smells like cow crap. he dropped off the whole tree :sarcastic: now i have to get busy, i have cherry burls i have to cut up as well and i am not sure that 5 gallons of anchoreseal will be sufficient. what is on the tarp cut up came from only 3 pieces and weigh around 40-60 lbs. they are about 6-7 inch slabs and are around 14-17 long. this stuff does have some pretty grain patterns. like a dark dark purple almost.

i can accommodate any turning size or whatever you would like out of this but they are limited to the length.



[attachment=9682]



[attachment=9683]



[attachment=9684]



[attachment=9685]

IMG_0101.webp

IMG_0102.webp

IMG_0106.webp

IMG_0109.webp
 
Ask away on the tree guys. A lot of the time we HAVE TO get the wood out of the homeowners yard. A lot of the time it can be really nice wood. This is how I got into it wood/working so bad.

Get to know some of the guys by name, offer a couple bucks here and there and you will soon be into more wood than you can handle!
 
A lot of the time the smaller tree services or the ones just starting out will be the best ones to get logs from. The bigger companies usually have figured out how to make a buck on their logs, the small guys will usually just be happy to get rid of it.
 
Nice score! You can save a fair bit of anchor seal by processing the pieces into the sizes you plan to use then just sealing the end grain. Pepper mill blanks and end grain turning blanks seem to do well with a good end grain coat lapped up an inch or two onto the sides... That allows them to dry and keeps you from having to paint the whole blank. With bowl blanks, I cut them round on the bandsaw and paint the round part lapping up onto the face an inch or so... I leave the majority of the faces uncoated. If you really want to knock them out, you can pour the AS into a paint tray and just dip or spin the blanks in the sealer... It uses a little more AS, but it's pretty speedy.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #20
woodtickgreg said:
A lot of the time the smaller tree services or the ones just starting out will be the best ones to get logs from. The bigger companies usually have figured out how to make a buck on their logs, the small guys will usually just be happy to get rid of it.

i haven't had to buy timber in years because of close friends that either own tree companies or when certain trees are cut down on their properties they give me a shout. i still have some maples and walnuts over at another farm i have to get. this one just happens to be the largest load i have received and delivered for that matter.

next time there is a major storm that hits your state and there are a ton of trees down. those guys don't want to deal with that timber and most of the time they end up in the dump. they are more than happy to drop it off so they don't have to make a run to the landfill. great way to stock up. and its reclaimed timber.
 
Back
Top