**ENDED** English walnut?????

My old original 61 yr old baldor runs and runs and runs. I have no clue if it has thermal protection. Is your blade geting all gummed up. That will make blade heat up and dull. Before I start cutting green wood I slick the blade up while it is running with beeswax and keep waxing up as I go along. As soon as it gets too gummed up I switch blades and soak it in greased lightning by the time I need it again -meaning when next blade is gummed up- first blade with a little brushing is good to go. If blades get to hot they are toast.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #42
i used to do that mike all the time. My blade is clean as a whistle and sharp as a razor. its a brand new lennox blade. i have found that running the saw at a lower speed saves my blades and helps keep the resin off my blades. it doesn't heat it up enough to gum it up so i can just take a paper towel and wipe that off. the wheels and bearings are a different story. i have to scrub those.

it also used to cut faster and cleaner that way. i am almost positive i cooked the windings in the motor. i can only run it now on low speed. high speed she bogs down within a few inches of say a 10-12 in slab! and sometimes stops and gets stuck!

Its funny cause Rikon offered to Sell me that make of motor in a 3 hp motor. for the price i will sell this one and buy a larger saw. i am sure i can get it cheaper through the supply houses at work, but I think if they send me a new one after i cook this one totally, and i PUT THERMAL OVERLOAD PROTECTION on the motor like it should have, than i shouldn't have any issues. If i do, i will only have to wait for it to cool down. not waiting for another motor.
 
I only have 1 speed so I cannot change speeds. Bummer- but at least it happens under warranty. I would bitch and get one coming since you can't use high speed.:fit::fit::fit::fit::fit::fit::fit:
 
If you have any left from the crotch that would make a 2-piece gunstock blank I would buy a set from you. TXPaulie has the dimensions correct we need for stocks... 18" X 8" X at least 2 1/2" is ideal...a bit less might work.
Forend piece needs to be 12" X at least 2 1/2" X 2 1/2". Thickness is critical on the forend.

If you slab saw the non crotch English walnut it is much more beautiful than 1/4 sawing. Laying out a stock blank can be tricky but I can help you on that if you want.

Thanks for taking the time to spread the English walnut wealth. Gary
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #46
ok so my saw is for the most part out of commission until i get a new motor! so this is what i have in crotch. most of the crotch that i have sawed up and waxed will fit in a large flat rate box. now there is one that won't and will need to be shipped fed ex.

i believe i have around 4-5 boxes of different sizes.

for the people who want large bowl size blanks over 13" high or wide is going to be tough unless i rip them with my chainsaw. i do have rip chains for my saw and leaves a fairly decent cut.

i think that may be my best way to go about this having a down saw!

so here are the ones i have
these are the ones that are dry i should have more tomorrow. who ever is next in line you have first grabs

the first pic is the larger one needs to be fed ex
has nice figure
60$ plus shipping



[attachment=10001]






[attachment=10002]





next box is a LFRB
one piece 5" thick 45$ plus shipping



[attachment=10003]






[attachment=10004]



next two are cut from the same piece.
30$ plus shipping




[attachment=10005]






SOLD! two bookmark match pieces 10 by 10 by 2 1/2 35
35$ for the set plus shipping LFRB




[attachment=10049]






this box sizes range from 2 1/2 3 and 6 wide. 3 are 11 inches long
30$ plus shipping



[attachment=10050]



[attachment=10051]

IMG_0204.webp

IMG_0205.webp

IMG_0203.webp

IMG_0202.webp

IMG_0201.webp

IMG_0214.webp

IMG_0218.webp

IMG_0220.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #48
you got it paul. no one else stepped up so they are yours

paul i know you wanted some gun stocks right? i have some straight grain, beautiful stuff . I am going to make a few myself. they are around 20 " L 4-5" thick would that do for you guys
anyone else interested in straight grain i have some already chunked up with my chainsaw.
sorry the bandsaw is out of action till my new motor comes in:dash2:
this time it will have thermal protection on it. so they may not be the prettiest cuts. maybe a half in difference on one end

on a side note; don't ever tell someone that there design has flaws :sarcastic: they don't take to kindly to that :wacko1:
 
:yipee::yipee::yipee: I received that beautiful 8x8x17 chunk of beauty today. Outstanding wood!!! The figure is phenomenal. Amazingly you just sent it yesterday :good: Thank you very much Jeff. :drinks:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #51
jimmythewoodworker said:
:yipee::yipee::yipee: I received that beautiful 8x8x17 chunk of beauty today. Outstanding wood!!! The figure is phenomenal. Amazingly you just sent it yesterday :good: Thank you very much Jeff. :drinks:

Wow that was quick!! That's less than 18 hours!
Enjoy my friend! :cool:
 
brown down said:
you got it paul. no one else stepped up so they are yours

paul i know you wanted some gun stocks right? i have some straight grain, beautiful stuff . I am going to make a few myself. they are around 20 " L 4-5" thick would that do for you guys
anyone else interested in straight grain i have some already chunked up with my chainsaw.

I'm still interested in a 2 piece gunstock blank set. Straight grain is okay if it has the streaks. Chainsawed is okay too as long as it's big enough. How much for an 18" X 8" X 3" plus a 12" X 3" X 3"? Those are the minimum size...they can be rough cut bigger, or, if I can get both pieces out of one chunk that will work too. Can I see some pics of the straight you have left? Thanks, Gary
 
Is there any left? I'm new to turning and would like to see if there might be enough for me to try a 10 inch diameter bowl???

Thanks

Rex
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #54
i have a about 30 more logs to slab out not to mention the load that is already rough cut and waxed. i am saving a crap load for my father , my two uncles and myself of course. but there is plenty to go around. i have to see how much crotch i have left but there is plenty straight grain for sure!
I received my new motor today and slapped her in and retuned my bandsaw so i will be busy this weekend,
i had issues last night with my internet but these are the ones i tried to post last night of some larger slabs!

I can resaw them to whatever you want. nothing over 12 1/2 in 13 in pushing it










[attachment=10364]








[attachment=10365]












[attachment=10366]










[attachment=10367]

IMG_0227.webp

IMG_0228.webp

IMG_0229.webp

IMG_0230.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #56
I finished cutting up this tree yesterday. I need to know who is still interested and what sizes you would like?
thanks jeff
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #57
first one is heart wood stock
18 3/8 x 8 x 3 20$ plus shipping




[attachment=10896]








[attachment=10897]








second one is figured crotch wood
18 x 3 1/4 sq 20$ plus shipping

[attachment=10898]






[attachment=10899]












the larger chunk is also heartwood
15 1/2 x 6 sq 25$ plus shipping


[attachment=10900]









[attachment=10901]

more to come

IMG_0292.webp

IMG_0293.webp

IMG_0297.webp

IMG_0298.webp

IMG_0302.webp

IMG_0303.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #59
i ripped a few in half. i just sprayed them with water.
let me know if you like these for the forearm piece. they are
18 x 3 1/2 x 3

let me know if any of these will work
thanks jeff





[attachment=10960]




[attachment=10961]

IMG_0305.webp

IMG_0306.webp
 
Back
Top