Going to Hawaii.... gonna get some Koa...

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Just book me a seat (have don pay for it) and I'll go with y'all. (Or leave don home) then I'll borrow what I want and leave the rest for the goofy guy who keeps harassing me on Facebook

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I'm sure I would be interested in some stuff. I love that slab of Monkey Pod that was pictured and would love to get some boards of the stuff - I have a couple 4" x 4" x 12" chunks that will be destined for coffee mugs, but no boards. And Koa lumber could be fun, even if it's not curly.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Monkey pod is great stuff. I have a good friend that made his kitchen cabinets, dinning table with chairs and coffee with matching end tables from koa. While the Curly stuff is great for small stuff, the straight grain looks so much better as furniture. Not as busy but still has the same shimmer and colors that are what makes acacia so desired.
Monkey pod coffee table pictured.

IMG_2054.JPG

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Incase anyone has questions regarding the beauty of ALL Koa. I share this (for educational and smart ass purposes only)

View attachment 124034
Those pictures remind me of Rick Hearne's web site.

On a Serious note, Your offer is wonderful and I hope you do find common ground to tread that makes all pleased, including Don. I ask of you and Don to consider sharing some of your connections back on the islands. I am of meager wages and dream beyond my class far too often. I have regressed from most craft word to simply collecting different woods from around the world, little samples as done in the International Wood Collectors Society. Hawaii has many woody shrubs that are only available to local crafters, landscapers and arborist. I would like to have the availability to reach across the waters and connect to such sources. I could possibly link you to a state side source that would like samples for the society on a larger scale. Let me know your thoughts as You move forward in action. Thank you.

M. R. Peet

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Maya and Don - sounds like a great idea to me. But it also sounds like a potential financial, personal time and logistical rabbit hole for you. I really don't think you would find anyone on this site not interested in some of the wood. If you do let me know and I'll ban them :sarcastic: But I think the quantities would be small. If this is something your going to do anyway to get Dons stash over here then I'm very positive you could move enough of the wood to help defer some of the shipping costs. If doing it is contingent on others participation is where I can see the rabbit hole opening up.
Feel free to PM me for thoughts and ideas if this gets closer to reality.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Maya and Don - sounds like a great idea to me. But it also sounds like a potential financial, personal time and logistical rabbit hole for you. I really don't think you would find anyone on this site not interested in some of the wood. If you do let me know and I'll ban them :sarcastic: But I think the quantities would be small. If this is something your going to do anyway to get Dons stash over here then I'm very positive you could move enough of the wood to help defer some of the shipping costs. If doing it is contingent on others participation is where I can see the rabbit hole opening up.
@Tony @Tclem @rocky1 @ripjack13 @Schroedc @SENC all said to me they had no interest in any wood. I think you should just ban them now...

:popcorn:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody

I couldnt agree more and hope I didnt sound "off" earlier with my comments.

Ive always been one to think of what goes wrong before what goes right and something like this holds some serious risks.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
I am interested some if not all of those wild and crazy woods, but I am going to be one of those guys that can only purchase small quantities . I am a hobby woodworker that is planning to retire in the not to distant future. Retiring will give me more time but unfortunately it will not provide me with more funds. I do not as of now turn so flat stock work best for me. I got a chunk of pheasant wood from @Don Ratcliff awhile back and would really like to get more and koa is a wood that I have never held let alone worked with. If it helps I would consider being in for a small quantity
Dave
PS
THIS WAS NOT POSTED JUST TO KEEP FROM BEING BANNED, but I hope it keeps me from being banned