Hard variety.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Full Member
Messages
30,128
Reaction score
46,211
Location
Eastern Washington
First name
Mike
@Mike Hill wanted a few pieces.
Kingwood $50
Coco 12x3.5x3.5 $60
Mun not on your list but it was there $45
Phillipine ebony burl $50
All dry. I have more. And I will get size of the 2 if needed.

20250312_111149.webp

20250312_111155.webp

20250312_111152.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #2
The color texture in the mun almost looks like 2 different pieces. Wood a wonderment of nature.
 
I'll take the coco, mun, and the Philippine burl. I don't think I can work around that void in the kingwood.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
And a cant of almost all dalberia with the pith will look like that. Solid is on bottom. Industrial diamond toothed termites seem to like the pith
 
And a cant of almost all dalberia with the pith will look like that. Solid is on bottom. Industrial diamond toothed termites seem to like the pith
Yup, the kingwood logs are very small in diameter and has big “starkist pith”. The biggest reason why you see in French Decorative Arts (Louis XIV-XVI) which kingwood was the choice of rosewood, tends to be veneered to compensate for smaller logs to fit larger areas- commodes, consoles and secretaries. You won’t find much in case goods during this period like armoire’s.
 
How did you know I was just thinking that?
Mike & Mike- the old geezer never pick’s up when I ask his universe in my head if I need some wood from his stash. Maybe the signal is not so great seeing that I am way out in the east coast? Maybe I need to move closer to get better “universal signal for subliminal messages”? Nah…..
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
Mike & Mike- the old geezer never pick’s up when I ask his universe in my head if I need some wood from his stash. Maybe the signal is not so great seeing that I am way out in the east coast? Maybe I need to move closer to get better “universal signal for subliminal messages”? Nah…..
I agree, MT, Wy, Idaho, eastern Washington would get into yer blood and ya would be a f......g redneck forever.
 
@Mike1950
What are the dimensions on the Kingwood piece?
And, do you have any Lignum Vitae? (I know there are lots of varieties of which I know little. Just thought I'd ask if you have any forest / olive green pieces heavier than &()@$%. ) Natural edges would be fun, but unnecessary. Thanks!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #15
Yup, the kingwood logs are very small in diameter and has big “starkist pith”. The biggest reason why you see in French Decorative Arts (Louis XIV-XVI) which kingwood was the choice of rosewood, tends to be veneered to compensate for smaller logs to fit larger areas- commodes, consoles and secretaries. You won’t find much in case goods during this period like armoire’s.
Yep and these were up to 11x11 square cants. Some were 15 ft long. My little tractor at that time could not pick one up safely. So I grabbed chainsaw. Half way through cutting them in 4 and 5' lengths saw broke. Tried the electric. It burnt up. Looked like i hade butchered a steer.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #16
@Mike1950
What are the dimensions on the Kingwood piece?
And, do you have any Lignum Vitae? (I know there are lots of varieties of which I know little. Just thought I'd ask if you have any forest / olive green pieces heavier than &()@$%. ) Natural edges would be fun, but unnecessary. Thanks!
I will measure and re picture. I picture this way for fresh cut.
 
Yep and these were up to 11x11 square cants. Some were 15 ft long. My little tractor at that time could not pick one up safely. So I grabbed chainsaw. Half way through cutting them in 4 and 5' lengths saw broke. Tried the electric. It burnt up. Looked like i hade butchered a steer.
It is very hard and very dense. But, it is “king” for a reason and I studied French Decorative Arts- that is the species you will always see used and the description will say “kingwood”. Any other rosewood species, they leave it generic as “rosewood”, even as most utilized dalbergia, Brazilian rosewood. Very seldom that they identify that species, dalbergia nigra as such in furniture arts or boxes. Here is an example of an antique period piece- not French, but English. You can see the Kingwood is used as veneer on this commode at the door surround:

IMG_7093.webp
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #18
It is very hard and very dense. But, it is “king” for a reason and I studied French Decorative Arts- that is the species you will always see used and the description will say “kingwood”. Any other rosewood species, they leave it generic as “rosewood”, even as most utilized dalbergia, Brazilian rosewood. Very seldom that they identify that species, dalbergia nigra as such in furniture arts or boxes. Here is an example of an antique period piece- not French, but English. You can see the Kingwood is used as veneer on this commode at the door surround:

View attachment 269567
It is beautiful wood. Machines nicely. And when sanded to fine grit, it almost seems finished. I have a box almost done in kingwood. Small box . Kingwood oxidized very slowly.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #19
It is very hard and very dense. But, it is “king” for a reason and I studied French Decorative Arts- that is the species you will always see used and the description will say “kingwood”. Any other rosewood species, they leave it generic as “rosewood”, even as most utilized dalbergia, Brazilian rosewood. Very seldom that they identify that species, dalbergia nigra as such in furniture arts or boxes. Here is an example of an antique period piece- not French, but English. You can see the Kingwood is used as veneer on this commode at the door surround:

View attachment 269567
If that was coco it would be black.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #20
@Mike1950
What are the dimensions on the Kingwood piece?
And, do you have any Lignum Vitae? (I know there are lots of varieties of which I know little. Just thought I'd ask if you have any forest / olive green pieces heavier than &()@$%. ) Natural edges would be fun, but unnecessary. Thanks!
12x8x6

20250312_150631.webp

20250312_150642.webp

20250312_150648.webp
 
Back
Top