Hey everyone from Austin, TX

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
I was bit by the wood bug(not the boring kind) a cpl years back after I was in a house fire which took a while to recover. While recovering I dove into the world of knives on instagram. With that came an interest in all things knife handles. I was amazed by the beauty of the woods I was seeing. I purchased a smaller bandsaw and have begun processing knife blocks/scales, turning stock, or pen stock, etc. Being a landscaper I come across a variety of reclaimed native woods but one in peeticular set things off. We're coming of a cpl of historic winters('21 & last year had record ice accumulation that caused un seen damage) and while cleaning up properties I came across the largest Huisache(Acacia Farnesiana) I've ever seen. After processing some on my bandsaw(unfortunately the land owner had cut it into ~ 2' stumps so I wasn't able to have my buddy mill boards out of it) I was amazed by the color and began collecting every type of wood possible... Mulberry, Red Bud, Mesquite, Bois D' Arc(Osage Orange), Texas Mountain Laurel, Bradford Pear, American Elm, the list goes on. I enjoy making knife handles(about to try segmented scales) , bat strops with turned handles, and smaller lathe work(handles/pens). I recently came across a chunk of Bois D' Arc that has some signs of having burl growth(which I've never seen before) and was curious if anyone else has come across BDA burl before. This site came up on the ol' google machine so her I am! O, and I'm Travis by the way haha

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
WELCOME! From Michigan. :welcome2:
Great introduction! When I was a young man I was a landscaper too, so something else we have in common. Sounds like you have learned what I always preach, wood is everywhere and it's free! You just have to look for it.

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WELCOME! From Michigan. :welcome2:
Great introduction! When I was a young man I was a landscaper too, so something else we have in common. Sounds like you have learned what I always preach, wood is everywhere and it's free! You just have to look for it.
Hey there Gregg, yessir it is an honest trade and keepa me in shape. I get paid to work out, learn spanish, and collect wood stock! Can't beat it during the spring time... although there's usually a day or two in July/August that I question my life choices haha. Hope all is well Greg.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Hey there Gregg, yessir it is an honest trade and keepa me in shape. I get paid to work out, learn spanish, and collect wood stock! Can't beat it during the spring time... although there's usually a day or two in July/August that I question my life choices haha. Hope all is well Greg.
Yup I remember those days, I would loose 30lbs every summer. Drink 2 gallons of water and never pee because I'd just sweat it out.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Travis, Welcome from San Antonio! @JR Parks is a neighbor of yours, might want to talk to him.

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Welcome aboard Travis from a fellow Austinite. Love to turn our Texas Mountain Laurel- produces beautiful wood and an interesting smell when turned. Jim

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Great to have you here, Travis. Welcome to WB from North Texas!

Nice introduction, Travis. My woodworking hobby began in earnest much like yours, by searching for pettier wood for knife handles, which eventually brought me to WoodBarter.

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Travis, Welcome from San Antonio! @JR Parks is a neighbor of yours, might want to talk to him.
Thanks Tony, I'll give him a shout. Cool to see that there are some central Texas folks on here. You're right down the road(in Texas miles) as well!