Hey everyone from Austin, TX

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Are the other 3 still standing? Also, the end grain looks to have different coloration than what I'm used to seeing. Did it have an infection by chance? What was the diameter on that big boy? O, and are you familiar with the Desert Museum variation of the Palo Verde tree? I believe it was found outside of a museum in Arizona somewhere. Hope all is well Trev.
yes the other 3 are still there. it is possible that a hybrid situation caused it's issues. landscape nursery trees sometimes have those issues. at the trunk about 28 inches. i am not very familiar with or fond of palo verde tree wood. it is very yellow when fresh in our landscape trees here. with little to no color variation in the heartwood. i do see however that palo verde harvested dead by one of our AZ members can develop some darker colors when left to sit out for quite some time

Last edited:

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm on the NW side, so almost the complete opposite side of town as Huffman. How close to San Marcos are you?
Like The Woodlands/Magnolia area? Uhhm I'm on the south side of Austin so without traffic I'm about a 30-40 min drive from San Marcos.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Welcome from Tucson, Travis. It looks like you've covered a lot in your intro. I know what you mean about Huisache. I found a couple bottle stopper sized pieces of it while at a Knappin near Big Bend National Park. It is a beautiful wood. And, after some research, I found I have about 6 bushes on my property. In Tucson, there are thousands of large trees planted as landscape trees. So now that I know what they are, I'm on the lookout for them, and with our Monsoon season coming up in the next month, I'll be looking and drooling for downed trees. I've seen several like the burly tree that @vegas urban lumber posted.

As far as Palo Verde goes, it belongs to the Parkinsonia family. It's Arizona's state tree. We have 3 varieties here that I know of. I have experience with 2 of those. One is the Foothills variety, and the other is the Florida variety, as seen below, which is the one that has all the color other than the plain yellow of the Foothills. IMG_3476.jpeg

The wood is just as stable as Mesquite as far as my experience goes. That Desert Museum Palo Verde is a hybrid. Next time I head north, I'll have to stop in and take a look to see what it looks like to see if there are more of them around Tucson ............ Too much wind in this comment. Bye, and welcome to WB. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
Welcome from Tucson, Travis. It looks like you've covered a lot in your intro. I know what you mean about Huisache. I found a couple bottle stopper sized pieces of it while at a Knappin near Big Bend National Park. It is a beautiful wood. And, after some research, I found I have about 6 bushes on my property. In Tucson, there are thousands of large trees planted as landscape trees. So now that I know what they are, I'm on the lookout for them, and with our Monsoon season coming up in the next month, I'll be looking and drooling for downed trees. I've seen several like the burly tree that @vegas urban lumber posted.

As far as Palo Verde goes, it belongs to the Parkinsonia family. It's Arizona's state tree. We have 3 varieties here that I know of. I have experience with 2 of those. One is the Foothills variety, and the other is the Florida variety, as seen below, which is the one that has all the color other than the plain yellow of the Foothills. View attachment 242363

The wood is just as stable as Mesquite as far as my experience goes. That Desert Museum Palo Verde is a hybrid. Next time I head north, I'll have to stop in and take a look to see what it looks like to see if there are more of them around Tucson ............ Too much wind in this comment. Bye, and welcome to WB. .......... Jerry (in Tucson)
Thank you Jerry and thank you for sharing all the information!

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Welcome from the Cuero area, a mite east and south (90 min— to help the distance challenged folks).
Huisache is one of my faves too, amazing the wood that grows around here. Biggest Huisache for me is about 2 ft in diameter.

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
Appreciate it David. Yeah my ex's Dad lives out in Cuero(couldn't tell you exactly where). They had a wild variety of native trees & plants growing on their property. Apparently had a good amount of rattle snakes too. Hope all is well!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
First thing I'll say is welcome from Middle Tennessee. 2nd thing I will say - since you are in/near Austin - Gig'em Aggies. 3rd thing I will say - originally from Seguin. 4th thing I will say - Lockhart has better BBQ than Austin! Past that what else is there to life except flyfishing - and there ain't no trout near ya - well except for below Canyon on the Guadalupe unless you want to include going after specs and redfish on the coast or Rio Grande Perch on McQueeney (since drained for dam repairs, probably be hard to do now).

P.S. - unless you have installed galvanized roofing in the middle of August - you don't know what hot, sweating, sunburnt on the underside of things, and being baked alive in a solar oven feels like!

P.P.S. - They shoulda warned ya about me when you signed in!

Last edited:

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
First thing I'll say is welcome from Middle Tennessee. 2nd thing I will say - since you are in/near Austin - Gig'em Aggies. 3rd thing I will say - originally from Seguin. 4th thing I will say - Lockhart has better BBQ than Austin! Past that what else is there to life except flyfishing - and there ain't no trout near ya - well except for below Canyon on the Guadalupe unless you want to include going after specs and redfish on the coast or Rio Grande Perch on McQueeney (since drained for dam repairs, probably be hard to do now).

P.S. - unless you have installed galvanized roofing in the middle of August - you don't know what hot, sweating, sunburnt on the underside of things, and being baked alive in a solar oven feels like!

P.P.S. - They shoulda warned ya about me when you signed in!

Haha First, much appreciated Mike! 2nd- Whoop, brother and I both went to A&M and uncle played LB there in the late 70's. 3rd- know only one other person from Seguin and he's a good dude 4th- no argument there... my favorite place is a Lockhart import, Terry Blacks. After that I'm pretty content with bass fishing out of ponds but I'll take your advice!

P.S. That's cute, I remember the first time I did manual labor haha. I'd happily trade places with you when it's me and two other men putting out and raking 26 pallets of mulch in one day(but fortunately 12 of them were cedar mulch) or when machines are down and there's tons of material to be moved before the rest of the work can begin or 100's of feet of irrigation that need to be put into a solid limestone shelf that day. I will say one has to be a little coo coo to do roofing.

PSS I'm your Huckleberry!

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Haha First, much appreciated Mike! 2nd- Whoop, brother and I both went to A&M and uncle played LB there in the late 70's. 3rd- know only one other person from Seguin and he's a good dude 4th- no argument there... my favorite place is a Lockhart import, Terry Blacks. After that I'm pretty content with bass fishing out of ponds but I'll take your advice!

P.S. That's cute, I remember the first time I did manual labor haha. I'd happily trade places with you when it's me and two other men putting out and raking 26 pallets of mulch in one day(but fortunately 12 of them were cedar mulch) or when machines are down and there's tons of material to be moved before thw reat of the work can begin or 100's of feet of irrigation that need to be put into a solid limestone shelf that day. I will say one has to be a little coo coo to do roofing.

PSS I'm your Huckleberry!
Late 70's - that be the magical time - Class of 78. Only two linebackers I remember back then was Ed Simonini - wild man from Las Vegas - think he graduated in '77 and Kevin Monk friend from Seguin - also Class of 78. Was gonna try out for blocking dummy until Kevin showed me our new Running Back - sorta like a much bigger Robert Newhouse that played for the cowboys. He probably tipped scales at 275 or 280 - all muscle, and Kevin said he would hit me....errr....run over me 300 times a day and I was only about 240. Momma didn't raise no dummy! Then, I talked to the baseball coach, to see if I could catch pitching practice and warm up - but he said he already had a couple of full scholarship catchers doing that. So I just lived in my dorm and had fun!

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
Late 70's - that be the magical time - Class of 78. Only two linebackers I remember back then was Ed Simonini - wild man from Las Vegas - think he graduated in '77 and Kevin Monk friend from Seguin - also Class of 78. Was gonna try out for blocking dummy until Kevin showed me our new Running Back - sorta like a much bigger Robert Newhouse that played for the cowboys. He probably tipped scales at 275 or 280 - all muscle, and Kevin said he would hit me....errr....run over me 300 times a day and I was only about 240. Momma didn't raise no dummy! Then, I talked to the baseball coach, to see if I could catch pitching practice and warm up - but he said he already had a couple of full scholarship catchers doing that. So I just lived in my dorm and had fun!

Haha yeah I heard football was wild in the late 70's(Dad(Him & my uncle are fraternal twins) played safety at Tarleton St, his head coach's son is now the D coordinator @ TCU). When I get messaging privileges I'll send you my uncles name to see if you happened to know him. He was there for a cpl years, had a shoulder injury, then transfered to a juco for a little bit but the injury lingered and decided to call it quits. Good to see another Ag here. Hope all is well Mike.