How's your weather treating you?

Dry, most of Maine, NH, and Vermont are having the worst drought in years. Our garden did well but it's crisping up pretty fast. No rain in the long range forecast.
 
Today at 3:56, it's 92 degrees. Tomorrow and Tuesday supposed to be 95, and then drops to 89 until Tuesday of next week to 92. Don't know what's after that. We have been having beautiful clouds for the last week, but not a drop of any kind of moisture. .................. Nubs
 
I didn't realize it had been that dry in the Northeast. We are dry here, but had ample moisture for garden/crops during the summer.

People locally started combining corn a little over a week ago, and most beans are a couple weeks away. Only "color" we are seeing is the tan, dry corn, and yellowing beans. Our peak tree color is typically not until the middle of October.
 
I didn't realize it had been that dry in the Northeast. We are dry here, but had ample moisture for garden/crops during the summer.

People locally started combining corn a little over a week ago, and most beans are a couple weeks away. Only "color" we are seeing is the tan, dry corn, and yellowing beans. Our peak tree color is typically not until the middle of October.
Our field corn is just getting to tassel, sweet corn has been good for 2 weeks. Bears have destroyed hundreds of acres in our area this year. Way worse than the last 5 years combined. So wet a spring, many did not plant corn until July.
 
Our field corn is just getting to tassel, sweet corn has been good for 2 weeks. Bears have destroyed hundreds of acres in our area this year. Way worse than the last 5 years combined. So wet a spring, many did not plant corn until July.
In the current farm economy that's a bad place to be with corn in that stage so late. Will most of that corn be for silage? Lots of dairy in your area?
 
In the current farm economy that's a bad place to be with corn in that stage so late. Will most of that corn be for silage? Lots of dairy in your area?
Dairy has dropped heavily in northeast PA but holding in NY. Beef has replaced most dairy in the Poconos. Silage. The bears love rolling in the corn, looks similar to "crop circles", much is matted down so machines miss a lot of it. Other issue is deer. My brother stopped planting corn 3 years ago. Deer come in and eat off the tassels. His last year he averaged 6-10 bushel and acre, versus 60 an acre a decade ago.
 
Dairy has dropped heavily in northeast PA but holding in NY. Beef has replaced most dairy in the Poconos. Silage. The bears love rolling in the corn, looks similar to "crop circles", much is matted down so machines miss a lot of it. Other issue is deer. My brother stopped planting corn 3 years ago. Deer come in and eat off the tassels. His last year he averaged 6-10 bushel and acre, versus 60 an acre a decade ago.
Tall deer. I’m used to Iowa corn that’s about 6’ when it tassels in my memory. Sweet or seed corn is much shorter i remember.
 
Tall deer. I’m used to Iowa corn that’s about 6’ when it tassels in my memory. Sweet or seed corn is much shorter i remember.
Tassels start at about 4' for our field corn. They flush out around 5-6 feet and stalks finish off between 7-10 feet. They get it before flushing out.
 
Here's today's sunrise. I'm probably too early for color. It's also my first attempt at Panoramic photos.
Well, I thought I was gonna do a panorama, but I'm in a battle with the computer. It won, so here is a single shot from my upper deck.

IMG_6432.webp


................ Nubs
 
Here's today's sunrise. I'm probably too early for color. It's also my first attempt at Panoramic photos.
Well, I thought I was gonna do a panorama, but I'm in a battle with the computer. It won, so here is a single shot from my upper deck.

View attachment 278879


................ Nubs
Another few pictures of what is going on around my house. Above in my reply is from this morning looking East.

It's now just about sunset. This picture is showing the Southern view. I don't know why the southern picture isn't there, but here are 2 of the west view. There is a storm coming. I was getting a few drops on me as I was taking the pictures. If you guys are more astute than me and can put these two pictures side by side, with the wires connecting, it's a better look. IMG_6450.jpeg IMG_6451.jpeg


This is my northern view. IMG_6453.jpeg

This is my Noon sky. I had to edit most out as it had the sun dead center, and it had a big reflection of the sun. You can see some of it, but check out that clear sky. IMG_6422.jpeg


I knew I could find it. It's actually Southeastern view, but close enough. Little storms all around me. Might wet the bottom of my rain gauge, but the temperature has dropped at least 20 degrees for about 92-93 thirty minutes ago.
1758247847949.jpeg


................. Nubs
 
Last edited:
Another few pictures of what is going on around my house. Above in my reply is from this morning looking East.

It's now just about sunset. This picture is showing the Southern view. I don't know why the southern picture isn't there, but here are 2 of the west view. There is a storm coming. I was getting a few drops on me as I was taking the pictures. If you guys are more astute than me and can put these two pictures side by side, with the wires connecting, it's a better look. View attachment 278897View attachment 278898


This is my northern view.View attachment 278895

This is my Noon sky. I had to edit most out as it had the sun dead center, and it had a big reflection of the sun. You can see some of it, but check out that clear sky. View attachment 278896


I knew I could find it. It's actually Southeastern view, but close enough. Little storms all around me. Might wet the bottom of my rain gauge, but the temperature has dropped at least 20 degrees for about 92-93 thirty minutes ago.
View attachment 278899


................. Nubs
That storm netted my neighborhood 13/16" of rain. That's pretty good for almost 6 months. ......... nubs
 
We got some rain today about 1pm. Check it out. Somewhere near .2"
Notice the rain pouring off my upper deck right hand side of the picture. This is from the east side of the house
IMG_6461.webp

This picture is from the west side. Notice the water pouring from a gutter and drops along the gutter bottom. The rain drops are visible near the bottom in the tree line. The white specks are not dust on my lens. The gutter is attached to keep rainwater from pouring down onto my table saw which would get a concentrated batch of rainwater when it pours off the roof. Hope that makes sense.
IMG_6462.webp
We netted near .2" or near 1/4" of rain.

So, like that blue sky during a rain??.......... Nubs
 
Today at 8:15am, temp was 64 degrees. Absolutely clear sky. Winter is coming. :sofa: ............. Nubs
 
Last edited:
Dry and hot. We aren't technically in a drought, but we might as well be. Every day for the last week there have been field fires across central Illinois. There are 3 active fires with 30 miles of us right now. 2 confirmed combines and another is burning in three standing corn fields. Upper 80's, 15-20 mph winds and humidity in the 20's.

Many farmers are keeping tractors with disks standing by and are keeping trucks with water tanks full.

Tough fall with crop prices and then you get a $750,000 to $1,000,000 combine burn up and or loose acres to fire.

The largest one to the north of us is showing up on Doppler radar.

FB_IMG_1759697404044.webp

FB_IMG_1759697411358.webp
 
Last edited:
First freeze warning of the winter tonight. The guy came by Friday to blow out my sprinkler system but I sent him away, telling him it was too early. Supposed to be 75 on Tuesd.
 
We keep getting closer. This is the latest that we have not had a hard freeze that ican remember in 25 years. This morning was right there at 32 or 33, and stayed cool all morning.
 
We had our first killing frost October 1st. Most of the gardens are fried. Still had warm to hot afternoons. Colder cooler normal weather coming this week for us.
 
Back
Top