How's your weather treating you?

My nephew in Cheyenne WY is a weather nut and subscribes to several high definition weather sites.

He is my advanced warning system. Been texting with him and he has been calling out rotation/possible tornadoes about 2 minutes before our local TV guys and gals.
 
I’ve got several piles of clippings just waiting.. On the plus side….My yard has access to two hydrants , I have water bibs on two sides, of shop and one of my neighbors is a fireman.
On the downside my burn pile ie only about 40 ft from my wood frame shop and the grasses still brown enough to give fuel to spread.
Well, get the neighbor to come over when the wind reads right and start a back fire at the shed and burn out to the brush pile. By the time you reach the pile, the lawn will be done. Dampen the lawn area around the pile an back to the shed. By now, if the brush is too intense, take one of the ten, 5-gallon buckets of water that you prefilled and dampen the fire. Remember you had these sitting on a steel roofing sheet just out of harm's way. Now that the fire has stepped back, you can place the buckets around the fire for future use.

Now grab 2 lawn chairs and hydration and rest. Proceed to enjoy company.
 
We were lucky considering pictures now being seen out of Eastern Illinois into Indiana. We had some wind, but that was it until the cold front hit and we got a half inch of rain over night into morning.

From Kankakee to the east they had 5-6" diameter hail and estimated EF3 tornadoes. Lots of devastating damage and some loss of life.

Went from 83° yesterday to 37° right now.
 
We were lucky considering pictures now being seen out of Eastern Illinois into Indiana. We had some wind, but that was it until the cold front hit and we got a half inch of rain over night into morning.

From Kankakee to the east they had 5-6" diameter hail and estimated EF3 tornadoes. Lots of devastating damage and some loss of life.

Went from 83° yesterday to 37° right now.
The bad news is that weather at our house was similar last night (no damage to house) and same temps today. The GOOD news is that we're in Melbourne, FL where it is 82 f and we had lunch outside at Cadillac Cove in Satellite Beach. Our son is watching the house--i don't think he'll be amused if we bring him back a tank top next week!!
 
Thunderstorms this afternoon, blizzard warnings tonight through tomorrow. We are only going to get 4-8" total, but high winds will drift us in for a couple of days.

54° and raining right now, low of 7° tomorrow.

However, not going to complain too loudly, Northern WI is slayed to get 24-30" and high winds.
 
Hope nothings blooming yet. I think my lawn is starting to grow, it's greening up for sure. It's way too early for that nonsense to start.
 
We have, so far, gotten about 20" of snow since it started snowing Saturday night. It should stop snowing in a few hours, but the wind will still be around for a while.

Yesterday late morning, we did snow removal round 1. We had received about 8" at this point. It was sleeting while we were clearing snow - and got heavier shortly after starting. Dropped another inch on us in the hour I spent clearing snow.

650051826_781770274620612_7514032442307393638_n.webp

Taken about 2 hours ago, right before I started clearing this morning. Snow removal round 2. Close to 20" of snow received when I started. Still snowing. Much windier.

646886690_1298910468800592_2786700845628916871_n.webp

Honestly, I've been wanting a good winter storm for a few years now. I've been missing them since our days in southwest MN and, prior to that, ND. While I appreciate the generally milder winters here, I've missed being stuck at home during a good winter storm!
 
So you had about 8 inches earlier with wet sleet on top of that, and it looks like another 10 or so on top, along with blowing drifts. That'll be fun to clear away.
 
I'm jealous of your 20" snow! I have the same feelings about having a good old fashioned blizzard and being snowed in and not going anywhere.

Last one I remember was in the early 90's when I was in Madison. About 18" if I recall correctly.

We got probably around 6" and it's still blowing 30 mph. No idea how bad drifts in driveway are, haven't felt like going out yet. No need, roads won't get plowed until tonight or tomorrow anyway.
 
Drifts in drive topped about 20", of course that was also about a 50 yard stretch of 16-20" drifts. Wanted to get it cleared enough to pass as it was freezing from the top down and the slush at the bottom was freezing. It was either do it now or wait until the weekend for it to melt.

PXL_20260316_215522115.webp

PXL_20260316_222618188.webp
 
We were lucky enough to be warm so we got 2 inches of rain along with the very high winds. It is still warm this morning so nothing froze overnight. Hopefully the roads will dry off before we drop back into the teens tonight.
Looks like the rest of the week will be off and on wet but in the 40's day time and 30's at night.
 
Sad thing is I was. Wind was blowing so hard at my back it was still drifting and also creating a vortex around my body which brought snow blowing back at me.
I hear you, been there. Sometimes there's nothing else you can do but eat snow.
 
Back
Top