In search of Flowering Magnolia wood

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
Looking for a piece of Magnolia 5.5” wide or wider and 9” long or longer. Willing to glue a few pieces together if nessecary, but one piece is preferred. Thickness isn’t super important but over .5” is preferred. My brother is looking for it to make a cut out of Mississippi. Also willing to buy more that one piece.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
there is a magnolia tree up the block from my house. appears the new home owners are letting the tree die. i've been thinking about asking them if they want it removed. it's over 30 ft tall and i'm guessing about 18 to 24 inch diameter at the stump.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Looking for a piece of Magnolia 5.5” wide or wider and 9” long or longer. Willing to glue a few pieces together if nessecary, but one piece is preferred. Thickness isn’t super important but over .5” is preferred. My brother is looking for it to make a cut out of Mississippi. Also willing to buy more that one piece.
Does species matter, as in one native to Mississippi? Think I have some Umbrella magnolia.

Edit: have a few pieces, one is 5.5 by 12", 1.25 thick on one long edge and nearly 2" on the other. Want pictures?

Last edited:

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
there is a magnolia tree up the block from my house. appears the new home owners are letting the tree die. i've been thinking about asking them if they want it removed. it's over 30 ft tall and i'm guessing about 18 to 24 inch diameter at the stump.

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
If they want it removed let me know if you have a chunk or two available.

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
Yes please, I’d like some pictures. I’m interested in the piece whether it’s the right species or not. I’m always looking for new species to try, even if it’s not exactly what my brother is looking for.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
A nice, light colored wood. I prefer it spalted.
20230810_101029.jpg

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have a buddy who cut down a good sized Magnolia on his property and cut it into slabs. I believe they are 8/4 and full width (14+"). They have been air drying for several years and he may get rid of some. Ill check and get some photos if interested. What would be your perfect size?

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
I have a buddy who cut down a good sized Magnolia on his property and cut it into slabs. I believe they are 8/4 and full width (14+"). They have been air drying for several years and he may get rid of some. Ill check and get some photos if interested. What would be your perfect size?

Definitely interested in photos and a quote. Anything 5.5”wide and 9” or longer is what we need. But I’d be interested in a few feet worth of a slab, not sure if it would be best to cut to fit a few segments in a flat rate box, or how much shipping would be to send a 2-3’ long piece.

But to keep it simple I’d be interested in a large flatrate box full. Depending on price of the wood of course. But definitely would like a quote please.

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
Does species matter, as in one native to Mississippi? Think I have some Umbrella magnolia.

Edit: have a few pieces, one is 5.5 by 12", 1.25 thick on one long edge and nearly 2" on the other. Want pictures?

Sorry if I’m responding twice. I can’t tell if I responded correctly the first time. But yes I would like pictures. I’m interested in this in addition to flowering magnolia.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Some light spalting. He has a much bigger piece, but wants to keep it. He would be ok with cutting this to length if selling the whole thing. He is in NC right now, so I’ll see what a fair price would be, if interested.

71338575972__176943DF-7F73-4AC7-A2A1-9AAC087A6343.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Sorry if I’m responding twice. I can’t tell if I responded correctly the first time. But yes I would like pictures. I’m interested in this in addition to flowering magnolia.
Ah, you made me laugh. Is there magnolias that do not flower?

So you can see the growth rings undulate a bit, which could add character. The thick edge is 2.25" thick and the thin is edge 1.25" thick. Still has some bark. This is bandsaw cut, not planed. You can see a slight shift in color from the heartwood to the sapwood. Similar to Tulip poplar in color and working aspects. Might be a little softer.

1691704091988.jpeg
1691704124754.jpeg
There is a knot and some gray stain. This was cut June of 2017.
1691704162597.jpeg
The narrow piece is 3/4 thick by 3.25" wide, Has stress cracks on the other side. Pen stock worthy.
1691704188082.jpeg
It flowers and has big leaves. web images
1691704787723.png 1691704842602.png

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
Some light spalting. He has a much bigger piece, but wants to keep it. He would be ok with cutting this to length if selling the whole thing. He is in NC right now, so I’ll see what a fair price would be, if interested.

Yes please, I’m definitely interested
View attachment 245616

View attachment 245617

View attachment 245618

View attachment 245619

View attachment 245620

View attachment 245621

View attachment 245622

View attachment 245623

View attachment 245624

View attachment 245625

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
Ah, you made me laugh. Is there magnolias that do not flower?

So you can see the growth rings undulate a bit, which could add character. The thick edge is 2.25" thick and the thin is edge 1.25" thick. Still has some bark. This is bandsaw cut, not planed. You can see a slight shift in color from the heartwood to the sapwood. Similar to Tulip poplar in color and working aspects. Might be a little softer.

View attachment 245634
View attachment 245635
There is a knot and some gray stain. This was cut June of 2017.
View attachment 245636
The narrow piece is 3/4 thick by 3.25" wide, Has stress cracks on the other side. Pen stock worthy.
View attachment 245637
It flowers and has big leaves. web images
View attachment 245638View attachment 245639

Haha true I guess they all do flower. I guess it’s also called southern Magnolia, the other one that is.

How much do you want for these pieces?

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick

View attachment 245616

View attachment 245617

View attachment 245618

View attachment 245619

View attachment 245620

View attachment 245621

View attachment 245622

View attachment 245623

View attachment 245624

View attachment 245625

Yes please, I’m definitely interested

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Haha true I guess they all do flower. I guess it’s also called southern Magnolia, the other one that is.

How much do you want for these pieces?
When you say southern Magnolia, that name is used for a group of species including Star magnolia, Umbrella magnolia, Frazer magnolia, Sweetbay magnolia, Big-leaf magnolia and Grand magnolia. The last is an evergreen more often referred to as Southern magnolia. That is the one you were implying. Just a small difference between Southern magnolia and southern magnolia.

You pay the shipping and if you want any other. Let me know what other kinds of craft you do so I know what to pack the USPS medium gameboard box with. PM an address so I can get it off my porch. How does that sound?

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
There are a few ways we can do this. First - He would like to get $20 for the whole piece (roughly 4.57 bf) (PM me if this is outta line).
2nd- A large Flat rate box is 12x12x6 and cost +/-$23. I can rip the piece to 6" wide and then cut to 12" lengths and stand on edge. or I can cut to 12" and stack 3 on top of each other then cut the other to fit the remaining space.
3rd - Or I can make a box and just ship it ground. This was estimated to be around $35 by USPS (32571 to 43001 - I just guessed a zip code in OH for you).

Of course I can get exact price for the 3rd option on Monday after I go back and get the board.

Let me know if still interested and if so the option you want. Either way the whole piece will ship or stay.

Thank you.

By The Way it is the Southern Magnolia variety. The big leaves with the big white flowers.

Last edited:

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
There are a few ways we can do this. First - He would like to get $20 for the whole piece (roughly 4.57 bf) (PM me if this is outta line).
2nd- A large Flat rate box is 12x12x6 and cost +/-$23. I can rip the piece to 6" wide and then cut to 12" lengths and stand on edge. or I can cut to 12" and stack 3 on top of each other then cut the other to fit the remaining space.
3rd - Or I can make a box and just ship it ground. This was estimated to be around $35 by USPS (32571 to 43001 - I just guessed a zip code in OH for you).

Of course I can get exact price for the 3rd option on Monday after I go back and get the board.

Let me know if still interested and if so the option you want. Either way the whole piece will ship or stay.

Thank you.

By The Way it is the Southern Magnolia variety. The big leaves with the big white flowers.

I feel $20 is a fair price. I’d like to do the flat rate box with 3 pieces stacked and kept at full width. Then have the rest cut to fit please. Thank you

DM me your PayPal and I will pay you. And send my Address

Friedrich9

Reaction score
First name
Frederick
When you say southern Magnolia, that name is used for a group of species including Star magnolia, Umbrella magnolia, Frazer magnolia, Sweetbay magnolia, Big-leaf magnolia and Grand magnolia. The last is an evergreen more often referred to as Southern magnolia. That is the one you were implying. Just a small difference between Southern magnolia and southern magnolia.

You pay the shipping and if you want any other. Let me know what other kinds of craft you do so I know what to pack the USPS medium gameboard box with. PM an address so I can get it off my porch. How does that sound?

I should know things can never be that simple with a tree species haha. I’m a collector and keep learning every group has a lot of sub trees that are often called the same thing, but are very different trees. I appreciate the info.

That all sounds good. I Do Box Making, bowl and case turning. Furniture, and some scroll saw work. I’ll Dm you my address and can get the PayPal figured out too