Looking for woods for resin bottle stoppers

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I don't think you mentioned how thick the pieces need to be but I have some wormy chestnut that would be interesting I think. This is 1" thick and about 5" wide.

View attachment 207519
His op mentioned bottle stoppers. I assumed similar size to nominal blank on sticky list. There is no reason a feller who is making an hybrid has to limit himself on thickness though. Easy enough to somewhat center a thinner piece and pour him a blank to size.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
His op mentioned bottle stoppers. I assumed similar size to nominal blank on sticky list. There is no reason a feller who is making an hybrid has to limit himself on thickness though. Easy enough to somewhat center a thinner piece and pour him a blank to size.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking because some of the pieces offered above seem to be much thinner than the standard bottle stopper blanks of 1.5".

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Frank aka Two Feathers
I think I am in line for some Holey-apple? Right? No Hurry at all just trying to keep all my ducks in a row!
John

Armaros

Reaction score
First name
Emmett
I've got a couple of pieces of asian ironwood burl that have an almost identical structure to the "holey" apple. They're all about 1x1. The longest is about 6 inches or so.

IMG-2062.jpg

IMG-2063.jpg

IMG-2064.jpg

IMG-2065.jpg

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@Armaros Those are beautiful! :drool:

If @DirtFarmer is not interested in making bottle stoppers from them, I "wood" be interested in those and any other Asian ironwood gems you may be willing to part with. Never seen it before.

Armaros

Reaction score
First name
Emmett
@Armaros Those are beautiful! :drool:

If @DirtFarmer is not interested in making bottle stoppers from them, I "wood" be interested in those and any other Asian ironwood gems you may be willing to part with. Never seen it before.
Sounds good. I'll give him a day or two to respond, and then if not it's yours. I've got one other block that's more of a knife handle block (larger and without any of the holes (still got the awesome grain and color)) if you're interested. That would be the last of my stock. I've either turned the rest into boards or sold it off. I think I can fit them all into a sfrb just fyi to both of you.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Sounds good. I'll give him a day or two to respond, and then if not it's yours. I've got one other block that's more of a knife handle block (larger and without any of the holes (still got the awesome grain and color)) if you're interested. That would be the last of my stock. I've either turned the rest into boards or sold it off. I think I can fit them all into a sfrb just fyi to both of you.
Thanks, @Armaros ! I'll be around.
Out of curiosity, what's the going rate for a package of these beauties?

Armaros

Reaction score
First name
Emmett
Thanks, @Armaros ! I'll be around.
Out of curiosity, what's the going rate for a package of these beauties?
I dunno. Make an offer. I'm heading off to college and I need to clear out my basement or my parents will trash all of my stuff so I'm just trying to sell it all before then.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Hello all,

I've been working on creating some hybrid blanks, and have plum run out of various woods with checks, divots, gouges, holes, and the like, that allow the resin to "show" through. Anyone selling scraps like this? Any wood that isn't an extreme sensitizer (paduak and cocobolo, especially) welcome.
Have you ever turned American chestnut? I have a few scraps from chestnut rail fence but it has been out in the yard. It would still need dried this is what it looks like. This piece would run 15 dollars shipped. Would be able to cut more and get the shipping to be a more acceptable percentage.

1619215070361836178195529648432.jpg

16192150850193898917790201980991.jpg

16192150996168516142029332060670.jpg