• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Lumber prices.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I don't think becoming certified as a softwood lumber grader is a real big deal. I have read about others doing it so they could sell and use home grown lumber. We are not required to use grade stamped lumber here for most work. From the looks of some of the grade stamped crap that I have purchased over the years you probably don't even need to know what you are doing just pass the test:sarcastic:I have been on tours of large mills where the lumber is moving so fast I don't see how it could be properly certified. It looked to me like a couple of guys working a fast moving conveyor belt were pulling culls and the rest got a stamp.
I was thinking more of hiring one for a couple hours

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
If you think it is fun now, wait a little while. Everywhere you look the global supply chain is in a mess. We are seeing the consequences of decades of slap-happy decisions made behind rose colored glasses. The entire Automobile industry in a disarray because they cannot get a $5 semi-conductor. Reality is hitting home - you might be able to produce and procure 9,999 parts of a 10,000 part pickup, but that one part in 10,000 which you do not have can shut you down. A "perfect storm" of gigantic proportions have hit the building products markets. The latest addition to the storm is a shortage of polymers (PE, PP, and MEG) due to a variety of reasons. Fires at factories, hurricanes, less raw materials available, factory slowdowns, EPA regulations causing factory problems, covid slowdowns, etc..... Then the problems with the distribution side of things. The way I understand some of the adhesives and such that hold the sheet goods (plywood, osb, particle board, etc....) together are dependent on the polymers. The bean-counters who rule over these industries, have not built in any supply chain resilience. That would cost a penny or two and when you are competing with China ( where they don't care) I guess that penny or two means something.
Also read where ship blocking canal had blocked ships that were carrying chemicals for adhesives. People were raising prices.