New time waster

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Shop time and spare time have been extremely limited the last 18 months and it will likely be a year or a few before that changes substantially, so I needed another project about as much as I need a hole in the head. But an opportunity arose that I won't be able to duplicate, and this one hurts less than a hole in the head would hurt.

It will be a few years before I can dedicate time and funds for a comprehensive resto, but other than needing a rebuild of the entire braking system it is road worthy. My goal is to get to the brakes by mid-summer, then drive it, tinker on it, and collect parts over the next few years. I'm not sure, yet, whether I want to restore it as an original, or as a rally car, or bring it up to current tech as much as possible and use as a frequent driver. I'm leaning towards #1 with some mods for reliability. Regardless, I am extremely excited.

Can you guess what it is?

IMG_20160325_152846.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
A LOTUS!!!

Dude - how long will it take me to get a degree in running hospitals?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
No guys that's no Tie-owda it's a Lotus Elan. WAY cool.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Henry is that a Plus 2? Show it all interior engine compartment whole nine yards.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
A boat ? Hey do you really need another hole in your head ?

Tclem

Reaction score
First name
Tony
My bad. It's a school bus or a taxi.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Are those cracks around the 2 lug nuts where brake dust is being flung through and out of? Or did the previous owner spray with WD40 etc.?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I want to see that dash - is it Claro? Exotic burl? WTF Henry you can't post this then just walk away from the computer dammit. That's dirty pool.

Tclem

Reaction score
First name
Tony
Are those cracks around the 2 lug nuts where brake dust is being flung through and out of? Or did the previous owner spray with WD40 etc.?
He has cracks around his lug nut alright

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
The body may not appeal to all but look at this chassis it sits on....

Lotus_Elan_car_chassis.jpg

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
More pix please!

There's something odd about the line at the bottom of the door -- as if the door has been extended down into the sills?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
More pix please!

There's something odd about the line at the bottom of the door -- as if the door has been extended down into the sills?

Edit not so sure it does I am looking at images ....

It would HELP if SOMEONE would post more pics!

Tclem

Reaction score
First name
Tony
Guess he went back to work or maybe he's turning a pigeon call.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well done my Irish friend!

It's a 1969 Elan S4 that has only had a couple owners. The second was my dad. He bought it in 1985, and I still remember going on a road trip to check it out with him. He spent several years lovingly restoring it pretty much by himself (the prior owner had used it for hillclimbs and road rallies and it was a bit rough) then drove it regularly for a long time. Unfortunately, for a good number of the last 30 years he was without a garage so weather has taken its toll.

Anyway, his joints have prevented him from doing much work on it for the last 3 or 4 years so he has driven it less and less (stopped driving about 9 months ago because of the brakes), and he mentioned to me a couple months ago he'd gotten a call from someone blindly inquiring about it and that he was considering selling it. I've always wanted a neat little sports car and figured I'd look for an old MG or Sprite in a few years - so the chance to buy this was one I couldn't pass up. It will never be as valuable as a Jag or Healey or the German or Italian sports cars, but it was long regarded as one of the best road handling cars ever made and seeing Dad's pleasure at it staying in the family makes it more valuable than anything to me.

It will remain in his garage until I can get the calipers rebuilt and drive it out safely to mine. Here are a few more pics in situ.

IMG_20160325_153129.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Here is the color scheme of the first one I ever saw when we lived on Padre Island.

Elan.jpg