Paul's Bigger Wood

Any carvers? Butternut is an extremely fine carving wood. Like basswoods better looking cousin. Maybe list it in a separate thread specifically for carvers.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #22
Any carvers? Butternut is an extremely fine carving wood. Like basswoods better looking cousin. Maybe list it in a separate thread specifically for carvers.
Everything of Paul's is going in this thread. I don't think this piece is thick enough for most carvers. It's only about 1" thick. Might make a nice lightweight tabletop.
 
No, there really isn't much in the way of rare species with any of this remaining stock of Paul's. A good chunk of it is US domestic species, though there are still several exotics. There is no rosewood or ebony in Paul's collection. Any rosewoods or ebonies in any package were added from my own stock. There are a few uncommon/oddball species, but they aren't necessarily rare or super valuable. Paul just has some uncommon or less common sizes with some of these pieces, which might be attractive to some.

Which is great for me. I can drool over a slab of tulipwood or bocote or rosewood as much as anyone -- but I'm a scrollsawer who makes a lot of toys. A toy car made of rosewood would cost three times as much, but it wouldn't be three times as much fun. I like oddball species for the xylarium, but my stock in trade is domestic lumber boards 1" or less. Buying these from you will give Ocooch Hardwoods' warehouse staff a much-needed break from the work I've been making them do. . .
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #26
#7 (Single Piece)
Estimated Value: $120

Estimated Weight: 18lbs (wood only)

This single piece is the most valuable individual piece from Paul's collection. The shear volume alone makes this block worth some money, but it also happens to be unusually wide and unusually thick for yellowheart. There also appears to be some figure in the grain. I'm guessing this might be popular with luthiers.

@daniscool how do you feel about shipping this over to Austria? 😆

@SA-Motors was also interested in yellowheart

1790881991444.webp

20261001_150554.webp 20261001_150616.webp 20261001_150641.webp
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #28
Hi @Big Ry What is the price on it please? Thanks!
The asking price for Single Pieces is 50% Estimated Value + Actual Shipping. If you feel its worth more when in your hands, send extra. If you feel it wasn't worth that, let me know and we will work something out.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #31
And how much does it weigh? ... about 25 lbs?
I guess i probably should have weighed all these single pieces ahead of time.

It's landing on 18lbs, but bear in mind this is a 30yo Counselor bathroom scale lol it may not be super accurate. I did zero it first though! Unfortunately it exceeds the limit of my fancy new Penn Scale.

20261001_152804.webp
 
Hi Ryan, - that's a good for ballpark estimate, even if it turns out to be closer to 25lbs (which I guessed based on density per bdft)
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #34
#8 (Single Piece)
Estimated Value: $51

Estimated Weight: 8lbs 12oz (wood only)

This is the 3rd and final single piece from Paul's collection. This piece was covered in a ton of dust, so I wiped it off with a wet cloth so you can see the crotch grain and color better. The wood is wet in the photos. The dimensions of this piece are not unusual, but the total volume is why it is being listed individually.

1790903920004.webp

20261001_204345.webp 20261001_204402.webp 20261001_204420.webp 20261001_204541.webp
 
Back
Top