Recomendations for first lathe

David Siepker

Member
Full Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
9
Location
Ozark, mo
First name
David
Hi ,
I'm an absolute greenhorn to lathes.
I've built tons of model planes, a table and general carpentry stuff.
What are some good smaller to medium sizes lathes?

20150412_004902_IMG_0338.webp
 
Look in the turning section, there has been lots of discussion on this topic that im sure you will find interesting.
I moved this thread here.
 
Last edited:
David, welcome to WB. I'm pretty sure you're gonna like it here.

I need to get something straight before I do any more commenting on this thread. Your profile indicates you are from Ozark, Missouri. Is that the town of Ozark, or the area of Missouri called the Ozarks? It's important to me. ............ Nubs
 
I have a friend that lives in Ozark. I gave him a lathe that maybe with a little persuasion from me he might be willing to sell it because he's not using it. It is old 12" Delta made in 1947. I believe I replaced the bearings when I had it and change the motor to a 1 1/2 HP 3ph. I gave it to him as I had just gotten a Powermatic and didn't need two lathes. I don't know what it is worth other than the cost of a VFD because he had to get one to use it. He might not have gotten one yet.I don't know as I haven't been there in a couple years and he's had had it for over 5-7 years. ............. Nubs
 
What is a " VFD"?
Told ya i was a greenhorn lol
A VFD converts single phase power to 3 phase power so the motor will work on single phase power sources. You have single phase power in your house. 3 phase power is usually in commercial buildings using large machinery, but back in the day when this lathe was built, 3 phase was pretty easy to get, so most commercial machinery was powered by 3 phase. Also, with a VFD, you will have variable speed without having to change pulleys, and also forward/reverse and quick stop. ............ Nubs
 
Would you be willing to tell me what your address is so I can look it up and tell you how close you are to my friend. If so, PM me by going up to the top of the page, click on the envelope next to your name, and when the start conversation page comes up, put in Nubnstubs, then type your message. Click send when done I thinks that's how it's done. ............ Nubs
 
Would you be willing to tell me what your address is so I can look it up and tell you how close you are to my friend. If so, PM me by going up to the top of the page, click on the envelope next to your name, and when the start conversation page comes up, put in Nubnstubs, then type your message. Click send when done I thinks that's how it's done. ............ Nubs

Is there still a minimum number of posts that new members need to make before private messaging is enabled? @David Siepker might have to make a couple more posts before he can do that.
 
David, the most important question to throw back at you is what is your budget? There is a wide range of prices, brands and features for both new and used lathes.

Also, because you are new to this keep in mind that after you get a lathe, you will likely spend much more than the price of the lathe as you "outfit" yourself with tools, chucks, faceplates, various jigs, and of course a way to sharpen tools.

This can all get a little overwhelming, but you don't need everything all at once, and all of us that turn have been through the same process and can offer a lot of advise as you go down this rabbit hole.
 
If possible visit a woodturning club first to see if they give any free beginner lessons at the club's location or a turners shop. This way you can try it a lathe to see what you like or don't like.

Search Google for 'woodturning clubs in Missouri'.
 
Think about what you want to turn size wise and then go bigger, much bigger 🤣

Honestly, Steve nailed the question to start with.

What do you want to turn? What sizes of items do you want to turn? That will dictate what lathes you should be looking at. If you want to turn bowls, then you shouldn't be looking at mini- and midi- lathes. If you want to turn pens and bottle stoppers and an occasional little bit larger item, but nothing too big, then a midi- size would be great.

And, has been mentioned by someone else, the lathe is only the tip of the iceberg. That's the cheapest part. All the tooling and accessories adds up quick! So plan for that as well.
 
Don’t do it. Find another hobby right now. Chase women. Drink beer. Just don’t start turning 😂😂
 
Back
Top