Sumac box

Joker9

Surprize, AZ
Full Member
Messages
376
Reaction score
605
Location
Arizona
First name
Peter
Bottom is Sumac with Maloof oil, Lid is Walnut painted with gesso and lacquer, finiial is Zebrawood

4x7" sumac.webp

sumac1.webp
 
Very good. I really like the design. It would definitely also work on larger bowls/boxes.

Is there now a brand of maloof oil? Or do you still mix it with oil beeswax and something else I can’t remember?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Thank you all for your comments, This has been in process since January.
Is there now a brand of maloof oil? Or do you still mix it with oil beeswax and something else I can’t remember?

I had purchased Maloof oil years ago, still good
 
Nice looking for sure. The wood looks dark versus a common green. Is it an African sumac?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
Nice looking for sure. The wood looks dark versus a common green. Is it an African sumac?
Yes, I believe it is African Sumac. Wood gets dark quickly whhen exposed to elements
 
Nice. Sumac? I'll have to cut into the sumac tree in my back yard.
 
Your tree is likely native and will be soft and a shade of green for the wood. His stuff harder and more of a brown to red color to start and aging to brown.
Aha. Thanks for the info...
 
Back
Top