**Thread Ended** - Chittum Burl or cut slabs:

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
A 3*6 piece is a large piece.
Here are pics and this is 1 inch thick.
Does it have to be solid wood, ie no voids, no bark? 902A629B-1F21-4FA8-AB4A-60F9055B3106.jpeg CAFA083A-8B4F-4C12-8834-54A8BD7DA5E8.jpeg

362FDE58-3329-49EE-8804-AC280E40A520.jpeg

635CA043-F4A5-4DF5-A562-2E1ECCA823D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quercus coccinea, Scarlet oak, I have a single sample, flat sawn without any sapwood, from Pennsylvania. What do you have?

Carlton McLendon, tell Richard I said Hello, haven't seen him since February or spoke to him in months.

I have a four foot tall stump that I split in half long ways. The core is heavily bug damaged but amazingly strong. The rest of the stump is to hard or did not taste good to the bugs.
3+ years ago when cut it was a beautiful deep scarlet red but now drying has faded but still beautiful. Straight grained wood and very unique bark. I can now identify a Scarlet Oak in the field from it’s bark.

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
And to add to it, I still don't have a sample of 'Chittum' in my wood collection. Nearly every time I see it here on WB it is in pen blank form, beyond my pocket or has been promised to an other. I understand your desire to have it.
Boyd said he would give first dibs to the wood collector. Now that’s a nice guy!

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Boyd said he would give first dibs to the wood collector. Now that’s a nice guy!

@Leroy Blue

Glenn,

I did not see Boyd state such in the open forum. It is his thread, and he has first choice on items offered. I believe you have mixed us up. I apologize for the confusion and hope it can be worked out.

The piece you posted this morning is very nice and would work for me if Boyd declines.

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
@Leroy Blue

Glenn,

I did not see Boyd state such in the open forum. It is his thread, and he has first choice on items offered. I believe you have mixed us up. I apologize for the confusion and hope it can be worked out.

The piece you posted this morning is very nice and would work for me if Boyd declines.

I’ll get Boyd to shot you a message, it was in a pm. I think that one piece will cover you both, I hope.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I’ll get Boyd to shot you a message, it was in a pm. I think that one piece will cover you both, I hope.

If that is so, sounds great.

I liked the third picture where the 3" x 6" paper had some natural looking edge to the left. It also covered 3 color shifts which is great. How much for the sample, and to ship to Pennsylvania, zip-code 18460? If you have the history, where it was grown / harvested. I like to document the chain of custody for each sample.

Thank you.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
Beautiful Glenn what are you asking for it?

Glenn looks like the perfect collectors piece let’s let Mr.Peet the collector say
If that is so, sounds great.

I liked the third picture where the 3" x 6" paper had some natural looking edge to the left. It also covered 3 color shifts which is great. How much for the sample, and to ship to Pennsylvania, zip-code 18460? If you have the history, where it was grown / harvested. I like to document the chain of custody for each sample.

Thank you.
Mr. Peet I Would like you to have first dibs on Glenn Lefley offering. I hope you find some great reasonably price samples for your collection.
Yesterday Richard at McLendons had several larg Chittum Burl. I did not get a price but he has sliced up Burls.

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
Mr. Peet. I will cut that tommorrow and send it. Let me know your address. I’d love to see a piece go into your collection. Just send me what you think it’s worth to you. Thanks Glenn.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
Glenn thank you for jumping in and working with Mr.Peet! A 3x6x1/2 piece of Chittum Burl is not a every day cut of wood.

Do you have any for sale that I could cut pistol grips from 4.5 x 1.75 x 0.75?
Thank you

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn

[QUOTE="Leroy Blue, post: 515951, member: 5770"]Glenn thank you for jumping in and working with Mr.Peet! A 3x6x1/2 piece of Chittum Burl is not a every day cut of wood.

Do you have any for sale that I could cut pistol grips from 4.5 x 1.75 x 0.75?
Thank you[/QUOTE]

I’m sure I can. Will pm you later.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
On the off chance you might have any left over Chittum Burl slab, I'd be interested in a decent sized piece, depending on cost of course.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Mr. Peet. I will cut that tommorrow and send it. Let me know your address. I’d love to see a piece go into your collection. Just send me what you think it’s worth to you. Thanks Glenn.

Sounds great. Could you cut it at least an 1/8" over 3" and 1/8" over 6" so I can work it to get a feel, taste and smell if you follow. Secondly, please post pictures of the piece and tag Boyd and I. I would like Boyd's opinion as well as others what a fair price would be, being I never purchased any. Thank you.

M.R. Peet

Glenn Lefley

Reaction score
First name
Glenn
Would you like the piece to be free and clear of bark and everything. I’ve never supplied a piece for a wood collector. I can cut it in such a way it can be. I’ve often seen the standardized size for a wood collector. I’ll also get you the info of where it came from exactly. I’ll need your address for shipping.
Seeing as your a collector, odo you have Siamese rosewood in your collection. I got a huge piece Year’s ago legally from Asia still have paperwork. I see it’s a shame but they predict the trees will be extinct in 10 years.

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Would you like the piece to be free and clear of bark and everything. I’ve never supplied a piece for a wood collector. I can cut it in such a way it can be. I’ve often seen the standardized size for a wood collector. I’ll also get you the info of where it came from exactly. I’ll need your address for shipping.
Seeing as your a collector, odo you have Siamese rosewood in your collection. I got a huge piece Year’s ago legally from Asia still have paperwork. I see it’s a shame but they predict the trees will be extinct in 10 years.

I’ll let Mark chime in first and if need be I’ll get you a ball park for how much it cost ber board foot. There is a vendor where you are in CA who actually carries Siam/Vietnamese rosewood (Dalbergia conchinchinensis) it is however not in stock anymore.

Last edited:

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
Chittum Burl is to small and odd shaped to measure by the board foot. I have always bought and sold it by the pound.
Like all wood deals or trades there is some variables
-If your purchasing multiple pounds of a root ball or Burls with stems and dirt (forest fresh)
- Dry - $10.00 a pound and up
-Wet or not dry-$5.00 a pound and up

Or purchasing a trimmed dry slice with lots of eyes $30.00 to $45.00 a pound.
I have payed more $ per pound but I had to wright it off to education.