Today's Backyard Wildlife

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a photo from this morning's paper. A baby great horned owl fell out of the nest and a local wildlife rescue org put it back. But check out the stack of ground squirrels in the nest. Any doubt great horned owls aren't superb hunters?

Screenshot 2024-03-26 082053.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Here's a quick shot I grabbed while waiting for that darn spotted towhee to come back out from under the bush (he never did and then it started to sprinkle). Good comparison of male and female Calif quail.
male and female 2024.jpg

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I think some of them feathers could be useful. LOL I don't remember my skins having the neck feathers - I've gotta go look!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I think some of them feathers could be useful. LOL I don't remember my skins having the neck feathers - I've gotta go look!
Could be used to substitute for jungle Male chicken eyes I guess.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Except I already have three of them necks. For tying small softhackles - maybe small enough to be somewhat midge sized. I've used jackdaw scalps and button quail in past.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Except I already have three of them necks. For tying small softhackles - maybe small enough to be somewhat midge sized. I've used jackdaw scalps and button quail in past.
Never seen a jackclaw.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
A jackdaw is sort of a diminutive crow/raven from across the waters. About the only thing I have ever seen that is used is the scalp and ocassionally a wing. Nice dark gray color - I think Veniard calls it Iron Dunn. I like them for small dark soft hackles.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
A jackdaw is sort of a diminutive crow/raven from across the waters. About the only thing I have ever seen that is used is the scalp and ocassionally a wing. Nice dark gray color - I think Veniard calls it Iron Dunn. I like them for small dark soft hackles.
Oh, that's right, I heard of jackDaw. For some reason I read jackClaw. Iron dun or dark dun is used on red quills, very popular early season dry in Missouri / Arkansas.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
What's a dry? Have to go way somewheres else before we can use them things. LOL Well except for bass and perch in the spring and theoretically one lake that has a few lakers, they seem to want to go up into a creek and 'supposedly" they will hit a dry before actually going into the creek. The trout around here have been raised on trout nuggets before being released into our streams - they don't seem to know what a mayfly or caddis is - even though we do have occasional very minor hatches of both. If they survive and get a little older, they get pickier, but still below surface, until they get big and old, then they'll take big baitfish/shad imitations. They let their sentries take the insects!

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
What's a dry? Have to go way somewheres else before we can use them things. LOL Well except for bass and perch in the spring and theoretically one lake that has a few lakers, they seem to want to go up into a creek and 'supposedly" they will hit a dry before actually going into the creek. The trout around here have been raised on trout nuggets before being released into our streams - they don't seem to know what a mayfly or caddis is - even though we do have occasional very minor hatches of both. If they survive and get a little older, they get pickier, but still below surface, until they get big and old, then they'll take big baitfish/shad imitations. They let their sentries take the insects!
Weird even the hold over survivors haven't learned to take emergers and surface flies. I hate it when there's a bunch of small fish around a bigger fish. It's the same when a bunch of mojara are cruising around with some bonefish. The darn shad react and spook the bonefish. And the mojara are smaller and harder to see from far enough away not to spook the bonefish. Mullet will do the same for redfish.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well, they are tailraces. I would guess if we had more of the flying/hatching insects they would learn to eat them. We don't have many mayflies in the streams, Stillwater yes, called willow flies and the bass and perch go crazy after them where they are. On the streams very few mayflies, few, if any caddis, a handful of small black stoneflies and tricos, lots of scuds, and probably the most important, tons of midges. I haven't pumped a stomach in decades, but the guys who do report that they are stuffed with midges. It took us 25 years to get the Corps and TVA to manage the water better for the fish and insects. When they finally did, started to have holdovers and they started to get bigger and even reproduce a little. Some guys were regularly catching 30" + fish. Even a few monsters were taken by work-summers - over 25 pounds from the deep/dark holes.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Not in my backyard but at a dead end street in an industrial park where I was having my lunch today. The geese have fuzzy little baby's now.
Pic taken thru the windshield of my truck and zoomed in.
20240422_110212.jpg