What did you do in your shop today?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Well maybe not today but a few days ago I took photos of the cutting boards I just made before they went out to my daughters and daughters in laws. 2 chaotics, 2 zigzags and one other.
One DIL has sent pictures of hers (middle board) in action and said it was the finest she had ever used.

View attachment 190506View attachment 190507

Outstanding work my friend!!

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Not a good day. Was working on the table saw early this morning and heard a loud pop and just caught out of the corner of my eye the garage door spring as it flew past my head. Near miss that could have been a disaster. Thank God for guardian angels.

The hook holding it at the end of the track snapped. These two garage doors are long past their prime (house was built in 1979) so I sucked it up and requested an estimate for new doors/openers to be installed. The lift motors had died a few years ago so I've been opening them manually which is bad for my back and knees. Will get the estimate (probably bad news) tomorrow.

Now I just have to clear the shop area under the door tracks so the installers can do their job. One of my resolutions this year was to clean up my shop so now it will happen.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
It's a good day for me. As some of you know, I was going to replace the engine in my truck. Well, I started that project 2 weeks. Today, I started it about 3 pm Tucson time. Puuurrrrrs like a kitten. Gotta charge the AC because I replaced all but the thing under the dash. Now, road trips are in order. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Not a good day. Was working on the table saw early this morning and heard a loud pop and just caught out of the corner of my eye the garage door spring as it flew past my head. Near miss that could have been a disaster. Thank God for guardian angels.

The hook holding it at the end of the track snapped. These two garage doors are long past their prime (house was built in 1979) so I sucked it up and requested an estimate for new doors/openers to be installed. The lift motors had died a few years ago so I've been opening them manually which is bad for my back and knees. Will get the estimate (probably bad news) tomorrow.

Now I just have to clear the shop area under the door tracks so the installers can do their job. One of my resolutions this year was to clean up my shop so now it will happen.

Larry, first off, glad it missed you. I'm in exactly the same boat, house built in '79, motor out on opener, need to clear out so it can be worked on......

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
It's a good day for me. As some of you know, I was going to replace the engine in my truck. Well, I started that project 2 weeks. Today, I started it about 3 pm Tucson time. Puuurrrrrs like a kitten. Gotta charge the AC because I replaced all but the thing under the dash. Now, road trips are in order. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
Good to hear. Now you don't HAVE to stay home....:lol2:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry

YESSIR those Guardian angels are great!! Just replaced springs, cables and openers on my daughters garage doors. And one cable on my torsion system here has snapped. Got a pair on order at Amazon. Wish I was in your area. You know! The barter system!! :wink::wink:

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Good to hear. Now you don't HAVE to stay home....:lol2:
Yep, will be going up to Springfield, Missouri, to deliver these parts.
The pieces below are called a Hex. There are 57 of them, all 4 1/2" OD and 5 1/2" long. Next is what he is calling a teardrop. There are 34 of those. 4 1/2"OD x 7" long 42513442-0DB2-43C2-9247-F797F07BD8DC_1_201_a.jpeg

These next ones are a teardrop. 34 at 4 1/2" OD x 7" long.
57D2DAA8-59F5-4AF0-82F8-F2D57CBF8D95_1_201_a.jpeg

The last batch is called a Zig Zag for no real reason. Originally they were going to be one piece with 3 wings. After making a couple, I decided to make each wing as one piece, much easier to do. Total is 75 pictured mostly in stacks of 3 to imitate what the original design was. They are 1 1/2 thick x 4 1/2" OD, all Poplar. Making blocks of 8/4 Poplar wasn't much fun, but this wood was reasonably straight and flat.
2D3873E6-13DF-4B8E-889E-149A32A2A6F2_1_201_a.jpeg

This are going what this designer is calling a beaded wall. Below is the conception. I don't know where it will be installed, but this is the 4th job I've done for him.
1596068733135.png

After delivery in Springfield, I'm heading down to Louisiana to get a load of Cajun food, then west to Tucson with Texas in the way. :texas:

I'll be leaving Tucson on or near the 11th. It'll take 2 days to Missouri to deliver and then I'll have to load up some Walnut stumps my friend saved for me in Springfield. Before the 20th of August I'm hoping to be in Texas. Hope to see some of you guys........ Jerry

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
You ain't gonna make a "little " detour through Virginia? C'mon
Sorry Eric, just a mile or two out of the way. But, you could come out to Springfield. This guy loves meeting new people, plus near his former home in Branson, a neighbor of his has a sawmill with a lot of milled wood.
There is also a wood dump within 1/2 mile of his house. I believe Barry from Astro Town went there and collected a piece or two. Am I right, @Wildthings?

Who is that new guy from Springfield who just joined here a couple months ago. Anybody remember????........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Yep, will be going up to Springfield, Missouri, to deliver these parts.
The pieces below are called a Hex. There are 57 of them, all 4 1/2" OD and 5 1/2" long. Next is what he is calling a teardrop. There are 34 of those. 4 1/2"OD x 7" longView attachment 191258

These next ones are a teardrop. 34 at 4 1/2" OD x 7" long.
View attachment 191261

The last batch is called a Zig Zag for no real reason. Originally they were going to be one piece with 3 wings. After making a couple, I decided to make each wing as one piece, much easier to do. Total is 75 pictured mostly in stacks of 3 to imitate what the original design was. They are 1 1/2 thick x 4 1/2" OD, all Poplar. Making blocks of 8/4 Poplar wasn't much fun, but this wood was reasonably straight and flat.
View attachment 191256

This are going what this designer is calling a beaded wall. Below is the conception. I don't know where it will be installed, but this is the 4th job I've done for him.
View attachment 191262

After delivery in Springfield, I'm heading down to Louisiana to get a load of Cajun food, then west to Tucson with Texas in the way. :texas:

I'll be leaving Tucson on or near the 11th. It'll take 2 days to Missouri to deliver and then I'll have to load up some Walnut stumps my friend saved for me in Springfield. Before the 20th of August I'm hoping to be in Texas. Hope to see some of you guys........ Jerry

Let me know when you're going to be around, I've got something for you here.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Wow, I’m impressed. Don’t know how you do it Jerry. Can’t turn two of the same thing to save my seat. Trying to make another bowl like this one today.

View attachment 191263
It was easy real, William. I made a couple mandrels, one for the chuck and one to fit into an old live center. Make it round with a diameter jig, then put marks where the angles start, and then turn down to the mandrel. Keep it as clean as you can, and you are there. Each piece took about 5 minutes from mounting to removal. ...... Tell you the truth though, I can't wait to get some time to turn a bowl....... It's been months since I have. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Jerry, is this the same truck you had when you stopped by my place? If so, how many miles do you have on it?

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Jerry, is this the same truck you had when you stopped by my place? If so, how many miles do you have on it?
Yep. Today, when I did my initial start up, the odometer read 345660 miles. This truck had to have been made on a Wednesday. Engine had never been opened. I bought it new in May 2000. Any abuse you saw was done by me.......... I hope the new rebuilt engine I just installed is half as good as this one was. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

wyowoodwrker

Reaction score
First name
nick
The shop was getting to freaking hot the last few weeks, so I decided to get some windows in that are actually useful. The old ones were just sash panes that were stuffed into framed openings. Non functional. Except for some light. So I replaced them all (3) with ones I can open, and added a 4th bigger one that I stuffed a window shaker in to help keep the temperature down some.

IMG_20200816_104634_01.jpg

IMG_20200816_135404.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
First time working in my shop in a looooonnnng time.
I figured I'd add some reddish hue to the set of 1911 grips I'm making.

0826201345_HDR.jpg