What did you do in your shop today?

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Well, the wife always said go big or go home, oops, wait, that was my dad that said that.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I found a tasty looking chunk of mesquite a while back, and the weather has warmed up recently so it is comfortable enough to turn in my outside shed, so I got after it today, it will be pretty cool if it survives...
today2.jpg today.jpg

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I’m glad it’s being put to good use.

Yeah, that piece is going to be really “artsy”. Gonna be great, the shape is already pleasing. But you’ve pretty much got that down.

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Here she is hollowed out, Now I will set it aside for a month or so to dry out (it was about half wet) will end up being about 13 x 16.
today3.JPG

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
That’s pretty deep for that hollowing rig, Barry.
Yes it really was, I had to keep tightening set screws, the vibration was so bad. Fortunately I have a 3" drill bit that I bored all the way to the bottom with, that helped a lot....

Rivens

Reaction score
First name
Rik
I received some different wood this last weekend and got it all debarked, end sealed and organized. Oak, White Birch, Willow, and Maple (I am guessing on the maple)
Before:
IMG_1301.jpg
After:
IMG_1310.jpg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
^I finally have to say it and I’ll probably have spears get thrown at me- yes, it is a little side track. What do women like showing off with their girlfriends? Their large closet right with the collection of clothes, bags, shoes, jewelry, blah, blah, blah. All finished goods! Those closets typically is clean and organized- I said typically. If they don’t have enough closet space, they take over other closets. But, the garage or dedicated wood shop is “our closet” whether it is clean or dirty. Come on, we laugh or joke when she buys another pair and adds another to the over filled closet. But, look at what we do too- buy wood, fill up the shelves, every inch of the garage or work shop. Then we save scraps just in case one day we might need that 1 effin’ piece of wood (1 in 1,000)- then we save that and we throw away what we really need. The major difference is she would show us what she purchased or wear it on an occasion or when you are just out together so we get a glimpse of it. We have a little guilty pleasure (okay a whole lot)- we buy something when we need it, when we want it or by impulse. But, we don’t need to show it to them to get approval and makes it hard for them to see how much we are accumulating- remember I mentioned “packing the gills” in your garage or your wood shop? Really, who here goes, “hey honey (or whatever you use to work for both of you) look a this purty little thing all curly and nice that I just picked up”. Anybody? Anyone gets back a response?

So, if you came over- my first word is, “hey you want to see the goodies in my closet” (aka as garage or workshop)? People say, wow look at all of those woods! Then they ask what this wood is and what wood is that. I don’t really have a point and just commenting on how much we accumulate in parallel to our wife’s (or partners closet). But, man if you look at every member here- everyone has a collection of wood whether it is small, medium and Amazon big. Which means we all have serious problems and meetings should take place pronto. It be a good place to barter:drinks: and I am glad we all have this problem! Where was I going with this? Ah, there it is.....had a little senior moment. To continue the madness of collecting what you want and need that brings joy and pleasure to you as long as you put that piece of wood to work, whether today, tomorrow and the future. But, don’t forget to share the fun with your friends.

Last edited: