• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

What did you do in your shop today?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Only bad thing about thinning the finish out to be sprayed is that it has extended the dry time. It does flow out nice though. I guess theres always trade offs.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
So I would really like to start spraying water based polyurethane but I just don't have the cash to by a good sprayer right now, especially after buying a new table saw. So polycrylic is about 9 or 10 dollars a can. I have gallons of finish on hand and I want to use it. So do I buy a p.o.s. Wagner, nope, I know what that will do. So I thought I'd give the preval sprayer a try, at 4 bucks a pop its worth the risk.
Here's one kit, and I purchased an extra gas bottle.
View attachment 206149
I prepped an area for spraying by laying out some paper and putting the pieces to be sprayed up on some sticks. Got a couple of replacement shelves for the kitchen pantry to be sprayed too
View attachment 206150
This is the finish I want to use. Water-based polyurethane in semi gloss. Water based poly has become my go to for most projects.
View attachment 206151
A light coat on one cedar shelf.
View attachment 206152
I got one coat on everything with one gas cartridge. It works so so. Had to thin the finish quite a bit, it's about 3 parts finish to one part water. It does spray but it's not the greatest and kinda slow. We'll see how the next coat goes, I may end up brushing the tops of the sills anyway.
A good help sprayer is on my short list but not for awhile yet. I'm not real sure on the employment situation at this time either.
Those are like painting a sign with a magic marker. It gets the job done... had a guy I knew bought the hvlp from HF. Was trying to sell it, not too successfully I might add. Told me it wouldnt seal up properly...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
It's pretty amazing how the woods have evened out in color, and this is with clear water based poly.
Before finish they really look quite different.
20210327_135050.jpg
After 3 coats they have really evened out.
20210329_105733.jpg
Flipped the sills over and I'm working on the finish of the top side...........

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I got the first one installed, I like the way it came out. 3 coats of poly. CatsšŸˆ will dig it, lol.
20210330_135948.jpg
Now I have to trim about 1/4" off the blinds.
20210330_140018.jpg
One more window to go. I just did this one real quick before going to work today.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I took all the slats off the blinds, stacked them up and cut them off all at once with the miter saw. Worked like a charm. 20210330_141419.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Been working on a couple more cribbage boards. One is from that piece of stinky cumaru flooring my neighbor gave me. It actually finishes up nicely but until you get it sanded beware the splinters. I decided to apply several coats of tung oil before drilling the peg holes to minimize the splintering. No tung oil on the maple inlay. The guy who does the lazer engraving says he isn't sure how the lazer would affect it. The other board is from a nice yew board Gary ( @Gary Schuler ) sold me. I wanted to do one with local Oregon wood. This yew is wonderful to work with and the color popped out nicely with a couple coats of tung oil.

cumaru and yew.jpg

Wildthings

ASTROS 2021 ""UNDEFEATED SEASON"" 4-0
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Been working on a couple more cribbage boards. One is from that piece of stinky cumaru flooring my neighbor gave me. It actually finishes up nicely but until you get it sanded beware the splinters. I decided to apply several coats of tung oil before drilling the peg holes to minimize the splintering. No tung oil on the maple inlay. The guy who does the lazer engraving says he isn't sure how the lazer would affect it. The other board is from a nice yew board Gary ( @Gary Schuler ) sold me. I wanted to do one with local Oregon wood. This yew is wonderful to work with and the color popped out nicely with a couple coats of tung oil.

View attachment 206694
That grain on the left one gives the illusion that the holes are wandering all over!!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Got to sneak out to the garage for a bit this evening. Put some tools away. Then got to work sanding on this. White oak - has pith, cracks, knots, quartersawn - just lots of character. I need to grab some more sanding discs to sand down the epoxy from filling in, but I had to wipe it down with some mineral spirits and get a glimpse. Yup, kinda ugly - I should burn it...

166977049_3553738281404326_2563338778596046789_n.jpg

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou

View attachment 206694
Love the design on these :good2:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Finished making a foldable outfeed for my table saw today. Someone on here (I apologize I can't remember who but thank you) posted about these ratcheting shelf brackets, I think they had used them for an outfeed as well. I got a pair for Christmas (not cheap) and finally got around to putting this together. I had to leave about 5/4" space on the outfeed side to allow for my cheapo fence. That's alright. I made sure the top of the outfeed is about a sixteenth lower than the top of the saw so no boards will jam into that opening. Then I had to make a oval cut to allow for the cheapo riving knife bracket. Then I had to make dado cuts to allow for the miter gauge runners. I beveled and sanded all the edges to help prevent anything from hanging up. The outfeed is roughly 40" X 15". I didn't want to go any wider because it would make my saw top heavy on that side when it's open. But if I have to cut something longer than that I'll get some help or set up my other mobile work bench to catch it. I feel so professional! Actually, what I'm really happy about is eliminating the need to reach over the spinning saw blade to prevent my projects from falling to the ground - and from having to set up both my saw plus my other bench.

outfeed full.jpg

outfeed folded.jpg

outfeed brackets.jpg

Last edited: