What did you do in your shop today?

Yes, that is common Black cherry, Prunus serotina. The cherries are more often sour and bitter. They are edible, just like other cherries, the pits are not to be eaten, as they contain toxins. Many call these trees choke cherries because of the fruit, not knowing the actual name.

Seeing an off centered pith and some twist in the trunk, this tree will yield wood that will move more than a straight trunked tree. Might get some neat figure. See some scaring as well. Is that an uprooted honeysuckle at the base?

Yes, Chokecherry, Prunus virginiana, is an understory shrub edge species. The Canadian Choke Cherry is a larger variety cultivar that often attains a small tree size. Because of it's red leaves, it is often used in landscaping.
Thanks for the info Mark. I didn’t look closely, but I believe that was a honeysuckle at the base. Plenty of Buckthorn in the tree line too.

After cutting the tree into thirds and loading it up, the tree service company tried pulling the root ball out for the homeowner with their crane bucket. He was getting most of it when they realized there was an underground electric service going right through the roots (service line coming out of the ground) They immediately stopped and advised the homeowner to call the power company.

The base section was somewhat surprisingly solid at ground level. There were some big black ants crawling around on the trunk, but very minor rot on the 30+ inch base.

IMG_0777.webp
 
So I got one of the hangers for the slat board wall. The 3/4" boards would not work as they would be to thick. 20261009_150017.webp
So I set up a 1/2" dado stack and cut some rabbets.
20261009_150145.webp
This will work, even if so.e of them have bigger flanges.
20261009_150106.webp
Easy peasy.
20261009_153220.webp
All done and the sample will sit flat.
20261009_161221.webp
Im still waiting for a couple more samples before I assemble everything just to make sure I get the spacing for the slats right. Im thinking 1/4" to 3/8" should work.
 
Back
Top