What did you do in your shop today?

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
Snowing and raining here all day so no outside work. Led lights at Sam's club went up to $25 for awhile but they are back down to $20 now so I picked up another one today when I was there for groceries. Plan is to upgrade all the lights in my shop to these since they are brighter and use less power than the flourescent lights, T8's will be replaced first.
So now I had 3 to put up in the shop. These are 5,000 lumen bright daylight lights.
View attachment 218406
This is what they will replace.
View attachment 218407
Super easy to hang, just crimp on the supplied s hooks and chain.
View attachment 218408
Dropping the old lights. At this point I brushed off the sawdust from them, lol.
View attachment 218409
And there we have it, 3ights replaced. And I'm giving the old fixtures to the guy that bought my table saw. He has nothing in his garage and he's a little tight for money right now with inflation and all.
View attachment 218410
I plan to replace all of the flourescent lights in the shop gradually. T8's first and then T5's. I think 10 to go and that's with adding a couple here and there. I also like the new lights because they are smaller and can also be linked together if need be even though I have plenty of outlets in my shop. And they are Honeywell, good quality. I think I'll add another one right over the table saw.
Have you....and others....noticed any buzzing or static sound thru radios/stereos with LED lights? I have one of the 4 panel fold-up jobs that screw in like a regular light bulb. Bright for sure....but harshes my mellow when I have tunes playing.....which is all the time!
I'd like to convert old fluorescents to led....but don't want the bzzzzz all the time.
🤔

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
First try at a box.....I guess that's what it's called.
Piece of half-ass walnut from a downed limb earlier this fall. Peeled the bark off, nuked it for awhile to dry it some.....and started in. Turned a tenon on each end then cut a piece off for the lid.
IMG_20211116_105955.jpg

IMG_20211116_105809.jpg
Would be better if a nice dry, solid piece.....but happy with it for a learning piece.
Maybe will serve as a salt cellar.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Have you....and others....noticed any buzzing or static sound thru radios/stereos with LED lights? I have one of the 4 panel fold-up jobs that screw in like a regular light bulb. Bright for sure....but harshes my mellow when I have tunes playing.....which is all the time!
I'd like to convert old fluorescents to led....but don't want the bzzzzz all the time.
🤔

I haven't had any issues with the Honeywell or the Harbour freight 4 footers. And my shop radio is always on. I have a couple old flourescent fixtures that I put led bulbs in and they haven't affected the tunes either.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
🤔
Look into buying ferrite chokes (beads, cores) - cheap on Amazon. Without getting into the specifics, LEDs (specifically the power source) produce electro magnetic interference which interrupts wireless signals (radio, tv and wireless). Many people have found their garage door remote stops working when they install a LED bulb on the opener.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
🤔
Not in electronics, just a buzzing in my head! And seems to have gotten worse since LEDs but may just be my vivid imagination!

And Tim gotcha the answer!

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I had a hollow oak segment that I had split on my bandsaw and was saving to build 'something'. We recently traded a couple days work for a dining room set so I was tasked with making it fit. There was originally a 26 inch deep stainless table here that was about 5 foot long.
20211120_134258.jpg
Here is the new set up with an 18 inch deep granite top that came from habitat and was set crosswise as a eating counter between the kitchen and livingroom area.
20211120_134322.jpg
The log section had a knothole/rotted limb area that you can see at the bottom front
20211120_134332.jpg
The shelf is box elder with a crotch area but very little to no flame.
20211120_134341.jpg
The upright at the end is the remainder of the bottom shelf cut to show off another crotch area
20211120_134356.jpg 20211120_134413.jpg

These are all sanded to 220 and oiled with coconut oil on the visible cut areas. The interior of the logs was sanded with a flap disc 40 grit then gone over with a ROS in 80 and gently with 220 then oiled on that surface as well.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I've been really lacking in this area. I burned a bunch of Rhododendron in the shop stove over the past week. Saved the rounds to offer on here. Found the floor again around the stove.

Not in the shop, but just outside, painted the doors Thursday. We had a temperature spike, low 70's from low 30's the day before.
006.JPG
Blue tote full of curly 'Soft maple', chunk of 'Madrone' holding the pink tote on as a cover. No room inside...

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Working on a small spalted hackberry bowl. Cut the trees down about 7 years ago. Pretty dry. First time to do any turning since May.

Almost Done 01.jpg

Lots of Work Left Here.jpg

Almost Done 02.jpg

Almost Done 04.jpg

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
With the spalted hackberry and pecan bowls that I've made I don't worry about the holes. Those bowls aren't going to be used for anything that would get in the holes. I usually finish with beeswax and mineral oil and buff with Johnsons paste wax, so a lot of the smaller ones get filled in. Those that are finished with varnish are sealed with the varnish.

Alan

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Nice grain to that!
And a question for all......about the openess or pores in the wood. What do you do about it? Nothing, wood filler of some kind?
I've had pieces like that but don't know how to 'fix' it.
You could use a few coats of sanding sealer or better yet a 50/50 mixture of resin and acetone to harden up the grain then take off a bit inside and out with a very sharp tool. Works wonders. This piece was in the same state as yours before I used the resin mixture.

20201004_180702.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You could use a few coats of sanding sealer or better yet a 50/50 mixture of resin and acetone to harden up the grain then take off a bit inside and out with a very sharp tool. Works wonders. This piece was in the same state as yours before I used the resin mixture.

View attachment 218640
You beat me to saying something similar.

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George

View attachment 218640
Interesting!!!
Tell me more about this resin/acetone mix. What kind of resin....where do I get it? Once combined, is it a paste type mix that I can just smear over the bad areas? Smooth out by hand, turn, and then sand to taste?
Thanks for any help!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Interesting!!!
Tell me more about this resin/acetone mix. What kind of resin....where do I get it? Once combined, is it a paste type mix that I can just smear over the bad areas? Smooth out by hand, turn, and then sand to taste?
Thanks for any help!
You can use pretty much any type of resin. Just make sure you mix it according to the instructions. I buy Pourable Plastic off of Amazon since it’s less expensive than some of the others out there. After it’s mixed add enough acetone to make a 50/50 mixture. It’ll thin out the resin quite a bit to where it pours like water, that way it soaks into the grains really well. Use a disposable brush to wipe it on and keep doing that until your piece can’t soak in anymore fluid. It’s best to have a slow spinning lathe or mechanism of some sort so it dries evenly. I usually let it spin overnight to dry thoroughly. Then turn, sand and finish. :)

Also, I always make sure I’m close to the final shape before I do this. The mixture works great but only soaks in so far.

Last edited:

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
You can use pretty much any type of resin. Just make sure you mix it according to the instructions. I buy Pourable Plastic off of Amazon since it’s less expensive than some of the others out there. After it’s mixed add enough acetone to make a 50/50 mixture. It’ll thin out the resin quite a bit to where it pours like water, that way it soaks into the grains really well. Use a disposable brush to wipe it on and keep doing that until your piece can’t soak in anymore fluid. It’s best to have a slow spinning lathe or mechanism of some sort so it dries evenly. I usually let it spin overnight to dry thoroughly. Then turn, sand and finish. :)

Also, I always make sure I’m close to the final shape before I do this. The mixture works great but only soaks in so far.
Thank You!!!
Makes sense now.....just filling the pores with clear epoxy, acetone to thin it down to soak in better.
Will keep it in mind.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Or, Minwax makes a wood hardener that does the same, but may be more expensive. There is a water-based hardener I've also tried, but did not like it as it took forever to dry. If not near that much to harden - Iso glue also works, but would be rather expensive for much. Also heard of some dipping the entire piece into thinned down varnish - but never tried that myself.