What did you do in your shop today?

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
@Barb that is a really good looking bowl. I have acetone and some cactus juice and some casting resin to experiment with. I will try the 50/50 mixture as a sealer. It really needs lots and lots of sealing. I used to stabilize stuff like that, but I sold my stuff to the little guy...oh yea @Tony .

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
@Barb that is a really good looking bowl. I have acetone and some cactus juice and some casting resin to experiment with. I will try the 50/50 mixture as a sealer. It really needs lots and lots of sealing. I used to stabilize stuff like that, but I sold my stuff to the little guy...oh yea @Tony .
If you still have cactus juice, then you can just submerge it for a few days and bake it. That's too pretty of a bowl to get rid of. :) I once asked Curtis if he made vacuum chambers big enough for bowls and his reply was no because submerging a bowl in juice for a week or two works just fine. That's how he does his bowls. Of course you still have to do the same drying process beforehand.

Last edited:

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
Well.....here comes another question.
:ponder:
Cactus juice....really cactus juice, slang for ?, brand or trade name for something???

Google doesn't know everything!

Edit: Forget about my question.....found out about it. Seems to need a vacumn system and oven, so not likely something for me right now.
Unless......the vacumn is optional sonehow.
🤔

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Cactus juice....really cactus juice, slang for ?, brand or trade name for something???

Edit: Forget about my question.....found out about it. Seems to need a vacumn system and oven, so not likely something for me right now.
🤔
Cactus Juice is a brand name. www.turntex.com

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Seems to need a vacumn system and oven, so not likely something for me right now.
🤔
That's what Barb is referring to. Submerging the bowl takes the place of using a vacuum system

If you still have cactus juice, then you can just submerge it for a few days and bake it. That's too pretty of a bowl to get rid of. :) I once asked Curtis if he made vacuum chambers big enough for bowls and his reply was no because submerging a bowl in juice for a week or two works just fine. That's how he does his bowls. Of course you still have to do the same drying process beforehand.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry

🤔
Read Barb's reply just above your last post. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Processed some wormy butternut mill blanks and cleaned up the summer time clutter. This looks like the first batch of cold weather for the season, supposed to be in the teens tonight so I moved the thermostat up a notch and hoed the place out.

IMG_20211123_110939965.jpg

IMG_20211123_111147753.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Today I replaced some missing drawer pulls on the cabinets under the miter saw station. Then I hung some more led shop lights, 6 of them.
Humidity in the basement shop has come way down from the 80% plus it was this summer.
20211128_165553.jpg
This space over the table saw needs another one.......
20211128_165610.jpg
So it got one, much better lighting on the saw now.
20211128_170029.jpg
I hung one over the lathe, much better there too!
20211128_171037.jpg
I only have 2 fixtures to change out at the far end of the shop now. I think 5 more led lights and I'll be good. I'm filling in spots with them like over benches and machines.
20211128_175338.jpg
I have noticed the color is much whiter now. Even though I used daylight flourescent bulbs they where still on the yellow side of the color spectrum. The pics above where taken with my cell phone and no flash. So far the only negative I have with these lights is they throw off a lot of heat. The end of the fixture where the cord goes into them gets really hot! Temp in the shop went up 3 or 4 degrees in just a couple hours.
I do have two 6 bulb t8 fixtures that I'm going to keep because they throw a lot of light in the area they are in.

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Today I replaced some missing drawer pulls on the cabinets under the miter saw station. Then I hung some more led shop lights, 6 of them.
Humidity in the basement shop has come way down from the 80% plus it was this summer.
View attachment 218854
This space over the table saw needs another one.......
View attachment 218855
So it got one, much better lighting on the saw now.
View attachment 218856
I hung one over the lathe, much better there too!
View attachment 218857
I only have 2 fixtures to change out at the far end of the shop now. I think 5 more led lights and I'll be good. I'm filling in spots with them like over benches and machines.
View attachment 218858
I have noticed the color is much whiter now. Even though I used daylight flourescent bulbs they where still on the yellow side of the color spectrum. The pics above where taken with my cell phone and no flash. So far the only negative I have with these lights is they throw off a lot of heat. The end of the fixture where the cord goes into them gets really hot! Temp in the shop went up 3 or 4 degrees in just a couple hours.
I do have two 6 bulb t8 fixtures that I'm going to keep because they throw a lot of light in the area they are in.
Heat... I don't follow why they would create heat. One of the major selling points was to limit heat. We use a twist in one in the bathroom exhaust light because it is cool to touch anytime, in use or not, cool. Therefore no discoloring to the plastic lens as seen with traditional lights.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Most LEDs (diodes themself) don't produce much heat unless they are very high output diodes. However, the electronics driving them can produce a lot of heat, particularly if they are cheap Chinese electronics with undersized heat sinks (most LED shop lights under $100). The main cause of LED lights failing is high heat which usually fries the electronics, not the diode(s). I've got several shop lights with fried electronics even though the tube still works with an external DC power supply.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Most LEDs (diodes themself) don't produce much heat unless they are very high output diodes. However, the electronics driving them can produce a lot of heat, particularly if they are cheap Chinese electronics with undersized heat sinks (most LED shop lights under $100). The main cause of LED lights failing is high heat which usually fries the electronics, not the diode(s). I've got several shop lights with fried electronics even though the tube still works with an external DC power supply.
So is the solution to buy LED lights not made in China? Chuck

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Dont know if the solution is non-China lights or not, You do however usually get what you pay for... Is it worth it to buy $100 fixtures instead of the cheap $20 ones? In my opinion no, if the light works for the first year, my experience is it will continue working for years. Rather, get ones with your desired color temp and lumens, and keep your receipts for the duration of the warrantee.

In the last 3-4years I've not had any fail, and my sense is manufacturers have improved the electronics and the early failure rate is very low now.

On lights that I bought around 5-7years ago I'm about 80% on ones that are still functioning (most stopped within the first year). No rhyme or reason as to brand, location they were used, or frequency of use on the ones that died. Some were in basement, some machine shed, some in garage and some used for grow lights. Every one that stopped working however had a fried electronics board.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I agree with @trc65 , the quality of the lights have come a long way over the years. I've been using these Honeywell for a couple of years now with no problems. They do have a 3 year warranty so that says something about the build quality. If one died I'd just buy another one for the $20 it cost. I don't mind that expense. It's only going to cost me about $150 to $200 to change over all the lights, very affordable. Commercial units would cost me about $2,000, not affordable.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Heat... I don't follow why they would create heat. One of the major selling points was to limit heat. We use a twist in one in the bathroom exhaust light because it is cool to touch anytime, in use or not, cool. Therefore no discoloring to the plastic lens as seen with traditional lights.
It's not the bulbs that get hot, it's the electronics in the fixture that puts out heat.