Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Kinda cold outside today and the wind was still blowing so I brought my snowblower down to the shop to work on it. My fingers just don't work in the cold anymore.
I love my workmates for this kind of thing, it allows you to walk around the machine and it's at a nice work height.
20211205_142945.jpg
Toro snowblower have this little hole in them that's a wear indicator, when you get down to the hole it's time to change the paddles.
20211205_143104.jpg
I'll be changing the paddles, scraper, and belt.
20211205_143131.jpg
This one nut on the belt side is a bastard to get to, harder if you do it in the cold.
20211205_143507.jpg
You can't get your fingers in here to put the nut on, so I hold it with a small pair of vice grips and the turn the bolt to get it started. Even that's tough because the bolt doesn't want to turn in the rubber.
20211205_145725.jpg
The other side is much easier, you can get your fingers in there to turn the nut to start it.
20211205_145913.jpg
Changed the belt. Old belt was probably fine but why risk the belt failing in the middle of a snow job.

20211205_150419.jpg
I also don't skip the scraper change. Working in a mower shop I have seen to many machine housings ruined because people didn't want to change a $20 part.
20211205_152104.jpg
I put a little grease on the leading edge of the housing where the scraper rides and bolted it on and re attached the springs.
20211205_152116.jpg
And the business end of the machine is ready to go for a couple more seasons now. I usually get 2 years of use out of a paddle, scraper, and belt change, and that's with doing 2 of my neighbors houses too. Gotta take care of the little old ladies, lol. That's my security system, lol.
20211205_152811.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
This one stays in the wood shop. I have another one in the garage. I love these things.
20211205_153345.jpg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
This one stays in the wood shop. I have another one in the garage. I love these things.
View attachment 219084
I think we, here in Tennessee, usually have more use for the workmates than the blower. However, when we do get snow, we are usually stuck for 24 to 48 hours before it's all gone and the grass is showing.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Then it was time to hang more shop lights.
20211205_153518.jpg
Last 2 flourescent light fixtures are coming down. I remember hanging these and how happy I was to finally have some light in the new shop. And now I'm upgrading them.
20211205_153805.jpg
All done. And I hung an extra over the outfeed table/workbench. It might not look it in the pics but its really bright in the shop now.
20211205_161853.jpg
These are the last 2 I changed today, plenty of light for the machine tool storage area.
20211205_161939.jpg
I think I'll put another one here in this corner of the shop
20211205_162004.jpg
And I'll add another over the drill press and midi lathe.
20211205_162033.jpg
So now I have 4 t8 fixtures and 4 t5 fixtures for sale.
20211205_162548.jpg
And I have a bunch of bulbs to go with them. I think I'll ask $125 for them and see what happens.
20211205_163552.jpg
I offered the lights to the guy that purchased my table saw but he hasn't made an effort to come pick them up. And I was going to just give them to him. Now I just want them out of my way and if I can make a few bucks on them why not.

Last edited:

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Found out that granite 'just doesn't look right on the stand I built a couple weeks back 16387422475914086925887176356226.jpg
I guess she is right. She is baking dessert right now, so that would make her correct. ( and the 'her' part also contributes to veracity as we all know)
So 20211205_155358.jpg
Time to put a finish on a willow slab that has been hanging out in the back shed waiting for a job. It should match the cabinet above when complete as that one is willow as well.
40 grit flap disc on a grinder to remove the sawcuts followed by a ROS from 40, 80, 220, 320. First coat of helmsman minwax is on. Will let it dry, resand at 320 and go again. After the 2nd or 3rd coat, when it starts to actually take a shine, I will work some type of glue or epoxy into the split end. Likely epoxy.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Then it was time to hang more shop lights.
View attachment 219085
Last 2 flourescent light fixtures are coming down. I remember hanging these and how happy I was to finally have some light in the new shop. And now I'm upgrading them.
View attachment 219086
All done. And I hung an extra over the outfeed table/workbench. It might not look it in the pics but its really bright in the shop now.
View attachment 219087
These are the last 2 I changed today, plenty of light for the machine tool storage area.
View attachment 219088
I think I'll put another one here in this corner of the shop
View attachment 219089
And I'll add another over the drill press and midi lathe.
View attachment 219090
So now I have 4 t8 fixtures and 4 to fixtures for sale.
View attachment 219092
And I have a bunch of bulbs to go with them. I think I'll ask $125 for them and see what happens.
View attachment 219093
I offered the lights to the guy that purchased my table saw but he hasn't made an effort to come pick them up. And I was going to just give them to him. Now I just want them out of my way and if I can make a few bucks on them why not.
Led lights are noticeably brighter than most florescent fixtures. We have switch almost exclusively to led disc lights in our remodels. Several brands now have a switch inside them to adjust color from warm to surgery.

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Walked into the guest house at 7:30 AM and noticed almost immediately that my feet were wet..... they were not supposed to be. The water line runs under the slab (not through it thank goodness) and it had developed a rather substantial leak at some time in the last few days. The soil finally saturated last night and water started coming up through a crack or something. I finally located the line and cut it off, rerouted the line around the house and eliminated the headache. Only took me until about 3:30 PM. I've got a real plumber coming Tuesday to do it right.

Didn't do much in the shop, although I walked back and forth to it a bunch of times today...

Alan

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Kinda cold outside today and the wind was still blowing so I brought my snowblower down to the shop to work on it. My fingers just don't work in the cold anymore.
I love my workmates for this kind of thing, it allows you to walk around the machine and it's at a nice work height.
View attachment 219072
Toro snowblower have this little hole in them that's a wear indicator, when you get down to the hole it's time to change the paddles.
View attachment 219073
I'll be changing the paddles, scraper, and belt.
View attachment 219074
This one nut on the belt side is a bastard to get to, harder if you do it in the cold.
View attachment 219075
You can't get your fingers in here to put the nut on, so I hold it with a small pair of vice grips and the turn the bolt to get it started. Even that's tough because the bolt doesn't want to turn in the rubber.
View attachment 219076
The other side is much easier, you can get your fingers in there to turn the nut to start it.
View attachment 219077
Changed the belt. Old belt was probably fine but why risk the belt failing in the middle of a snow job.

View attachment 219078
I also don't skip the scraper change. Working in a mower shop I have seen to many machine housings ruined because people didn't want to change a $20 part.
View attachment 219079
I put a little grease on the leading edge of the housing where the scraper rides and bolted it on and re attached the springs.
View attachment 219080
And the business end of the machine is ready to go for a couple more seasons now. I usually get 2 years of use out of a paddle, scraper, and belt change, and that's with doing 2 of my neighbors houses too. Gotta take care of the little old ladies, lol. That's my security system, lol.
View attachment 219081
Greg, looks like we have the same model of snowblower. May have snow tomorrow so I checked it out today. Started right up.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Greg, looks like we have the same model of snowblower. May have snow tomorrow so I checked it out today. Started right up.
This was the last year that they made a 2 cycle engine snowblower, it's a lawn boy engine. I purchased it knowing that. I only run true fuel in it and drain it every season and drop the carb bowl as well. Yes it starts right up every year. It's so much lighter than the 4 strokes of today.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
That's only because they are so short! Double wide to keep you further away from the edge if you do fall over! :lol2:

Well, my BIL never played football, but he is 6'2" and 350# plus
Nice to know there are normal sized people in your family.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Sanded the neck on my second guitar this afternoon. It looks good and the fit is better than the first one. Had one tiny divot in the ebony headstock to mixed up a little ebony dust putty and filled that. I'll finish it up tomorrow and hopefully get these two into the spray booth this week end.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Needed to get a board out of the way, so I decided to screw it to the wall. That worked so well, I decided a second board that had been cut up and put back together would fit stacked on top of it. May wind up getting some of those darn coat hooks out of my way if this keeps on... 20211211_095456.jpg 2 pcs of spalted maple. Top was cut and folded to show off the live edge. The bark edge just doesn't look as nice as the spalted part 20211211_095515.jpg 20211211_095522.jpg then she found a wine rack and said, "hey, I want to make a towel rack out of this. 20211211_101215.jpg so I immediately thought up a way to get rid of another scrap. Of HVBW :lol2: this time. It was all messy at the bottom anyway... 20211211_101200.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Nice shelf but those metal brackets? Meh, not so much. I'd replace them with some wood brackets for a better look. Just sayin, I understand a quickie job though.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Jameson and I made a pen for himself. He did everything from drilling the hole to the final sanding. I glued it and put it together for him. It came out great!!
Better than my first one too...
Kid had a good teacher I guess.. :) 1204211418_HDR.jpg

1204211437_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Jameson and I made a pen for himself. He did everything from drilling the hole to the final sanding. I glued it and put it together for him. It came out great!!
Better than my first one too...
Kid had a good teacher I guess.. :)View attachment 219335

View attachment 219336
You have to be proud of him following in your footsteps! Great looking pen! Chuck

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Nice shelf but those metal brackets? Meh, not so much. I'd replace them with some wood brackets for a better look. Just sayin, I understand a quickie job though.
I spent 30 minutes looking through my stashes for the perfect bracket. Will probably try to replace at leisure. Kinda had a time crunch. Had to fully rearrange three rooms over the weekend, company arrives on the 20th. Still have to finish the counter in the kitchen. Got a second and third coat of poly on it, but looks like it needs 2 or 3 more. Also had to rework the dryer belt in the middle of all the rest of this on Saturday.
As the folks who have been here can tell you, I like wood and have plenty of scraps. I have been eyeballing Jerry's @Nubsnstubs smaller piece of Versicolor cactus as a unique candidate for brackets...

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
Does it count if it was done in the back yard instead of shop?
Deer season is over so time for something else. Had some chunks laying around for way too long, so cut a couple up hoping for some good bowl blanks.
IMG_20211213_150504.jpg

IMG_20211213_100542.jpg

IMG_20211213_155740.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck