What did you do in your shop today?

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Finally got around to a stair rebuild project. I'd noticed a bit of sponginess in one step a couple months ago and found some pretty good rot in a stringer beneath the tread. I scabbed a quick bandaid solution to buy some time until I could get to it.

20220615_103305.jpg

Since we're thinking about enclosing or redoing this entire porch in the next few years, rather than fully gut and start over I'm removing the fully rotten wood and creating new stringers to scab to what remains.

Stringers cut and in place for test fit and any tweaking... Will hopefully then installed and treads/risers back on tomorrow.

20220615_183222.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I made drawer fronts for the printer stand I'm making. Our printer currently sits on a wobbly, beat up TV tray. My neighbor had some reclaimed walnut that he planed down to get good wood - it was 0.5" thick so fit perfectly on my drawers. I used a piece of curly maple I got from Rob (@rob3232) or Eric (@Eric Rorabaugh ) or Mike (@Mike1950 ) for the pulls. Routed a 0.25" deep dado in the drawer fronts, also routed a 0.5" round dado for the finger hole, then made a quick trip to my neighbor's band saw when he wasn't looking to trim them to shape. Not completely sanded or glued yet. Looking pretty good so far. I think the contrast with the walnut will be more prominent when I apply some finish. The cabinet is poplar with 4 coats of wipe on water based polyacrylic.

drawer fronts.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Very nice design, wood and use of it..
Thanks Mike. It's taller which makes it easier to use the printer, wide enough for the printer and still have flat top space for collating papers, etc. The drawers are sized for a ream of paper, plus ink cartridges, etc. I'm sure we'll fill the other drawers with junk. But it'll be better than the wobbly TV tray.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I made drawer fronts for the printer stand I'm making. Our printer currently sits on a wobbly, beat up TV tray. My neighbor had some reclaimed walnut that he planed down to get good wood - it was 0.5" thick so fit perfectly on my drawers. I used a piece of curly maple I got from Rob (@rob3232) or Eric (@Eric Rorabaugh ) or Mike (@Mike1950 ) for the pulls. Routed a 0.25" deep dado in the drawer fronts, also routed a 0.5" round dado for the finger hole, then made a quick trip to my neighbor's band saw when he wasn't looking to trim them to shape. Not completely sanded or glued yet. Looking pretty good so far. I think the contrast with the walnut will be more prominent when I apply some finish. The cabinet is poplar with 4 coats of wipe on water based polyacrylic.

View attachment 228130
Really attractive design! The wood combos work together exceedingly well! Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Very cool! At first blush, I thought 8 drawers, but with just 4 pulls I guess it be 4 drawers. I really like the idea of those pulls!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Not overly exciting but finally have my air compressor bolted to the floor, put in more wiring, and built the power cord for the compressor. Hopefully get walls up this weekend. Then I can get serious about getting the rest of the shop stuff from my friend’s barn

78F77561-3920-48ED-8742-34821AF9140E.jpeg

6F5FB4EB-0DCA-4092-80C4-4FB727AFC131.jpeg

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Slowly getting shop equipment cleaned up and setup. Rust on surfaces were no match for Evaporust and a little elbow grease with steel wool. Opening the bandsaw cabinet revealed a little deterioration of the drive belt, though.

20220616_150643.jpg

20220617_104640.jpg

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Slowly getting shop equipment cleaned up and setup. Rust on surfaces were no match for Evaporust and a little elbow grease with steel wool. Opening the bandsaw cabinet revealed a little deterioration of the drive belt, though.

View attachment 228216

View attachment 228217
Damn! How many centuries was that bandsaw in storage?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank

View attachment 228216

View attachment 228217
Yep. Minor deterioration. Schedule yearly maintenance for January and get on with it...

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I tried belt dressing as @DLJeffs suggested, but only limited improvement so I replaced the belt with a new one instead. I know, a waste of $15, but you can't take it with you, right? 😉

My other investment in setting up shop again was a real dust collector. I promised myself I'd do this when I got another shop, for both health and to ease cleanup. After a lot of research (and heartburn over cost), I decided on the Oneida Supercell. It just made the most sense in a limited space, so this is my retirement gift to myself.

20220619_131842.jpg

Having emptied my wallet on the collector, I went @Tclem -style on the lathe attachment using various odds and ends and good old duct tape.

20220613_180839.jpg

20220613_180827.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
There wasn't much belt left to dress! You made the right decision.

I got one pair of drawer fronts attached - used the double stick tape on the upper drawer. Worked great and they look good to my eye. I'll take a photo after I get the other pair attached. Still need one more coat of finish on them.

Last edited:

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I tried belt dressing as @DLJeffs suggested, but only limited improvement so I replaced the belt with a new one instead. I know, a waste of $15, but you can't take it with you, right? 😉

My other investment in setting up shop again was a real dust collector. I promised myself I'd do this when I got another shop, for both health and to ease cleanup. After a lot of research (and heartburn over cost), I decided on the Oneida Supercell. It just made the most sense in a limited space, so this is my retirement gift to myself.

View attachment 228315

Having emptied my wallet on the collector, I went @Tclem -style on the lathe attachment using various odds and ends and good old duct tape.

View attachment 228316

View attachment 228317
That's an impressive looking dust collector.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

View attachment 228315

View attachment 228316

View attachment 228317
Finally!! I've been aching to see this for years man!!!!