What free wood did you find today?

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
@scootac

George, that second wood, was / is it greasie to the touch?
Jeez.....didn't think I had something that hard to ID. Looking at the possibilities mentioned, they do all look similiar. The guy that gave it to said it was a piece of flooring he helped install....which is a use of the possibles.
Mark....no, I wouldn't call it greasy. I put it on the belt sander to clean it up and show the grain. Fairly smooth, but can't say it's greasy or waxy feeling.
Mystery goes on......
😁

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
One reason I'm doubtful about cumaru is that the face grain is very regular, which I never see in cumaru which seems to always have interlocked grain.
The other wood I had in mind is 'Keruing' / 'Apitong', just could not recall the common name at the time.

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
The other wood I had in mine is 'Keruing' / 'Apitong', just could not recall the common name at the time.
Good call. That wood often has interlocked grain but not always and both the face grain and the end grain are a good match

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Good call. That wood often has interlocked grain but not always and both the face grain and the end grain are a good match
However, some of those Dipterocarpus have a greasy or waxy feel and he said his did not. But then again, some do not have that feel....

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
A friend of mine brought me these two pieces of birch yesterday. The ruler on top of the root ball is 18" which is the max my lathe can turn. I plan on making a nested bowl set out of that one and a hollow form out of the other.

20211002_084951.jpg 20211002_084927.jpg 20211002_084939.jpg 20211002_085020.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
A friend of mine brought me these two pieces of birch yesterday. The ruler on top of the root ball is 18" which is the max my lathe can turn. I plan on making a nested bowl set out of that one and a hollow form out of the other.

View attachment 216951View attachment 216952View attachment 216953View attachment 216954
That stump was starting to develop a lignotuber, which are loaded with eyes and sold a burl. Nice score, be safe digging in. Do you have much along the way of rocks in soil there? We look for soil in our rocks.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
That stump was starting to develop a lignotuber, which are loaded with eyes and sold a burl. Nice score, be safe digging in. Do you have much along the way of rocks in soil there? We look for soil in our rocks.
He pressure washed it but there's still some soil in the deep cracks. I'll have at it with the air compressor and dental picks when I start on it. Thank goodness it's more soil than rocks here. :)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
So stopped to pick up a few pallets from a friend to stack firewood on, and was given a 6.5' length of 'Wenge' 2.5" wide flooring. I asked why, and he said to trade to those "Wood Nut" friends for sample stock you lack. I laughed, he laughed and then said he was serious. So, I'll post up some pictures when time allows.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
So stopped to pick up a few pallets from a friend to stack firewood on, and was given a 6.5' length of 'Wenge' 2.5" wide flooring. I asked why, and he said to trade to those "Wood Nut" friends for sample stock you lack. I laughed, he laughed and then said he was serious. So, I'll post up some pictures when time allows.
Great to have such good friends!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Haul of fresh cherry!

Unfortunately someone got there before I did and took a fair amount of it, but I got enough to keep me busy.

1634140920166.png

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I took off a little early and the cherry kicked my a** this afternoon! Not sure why, but my back and hands, and especially my fingers, were hurting after running the saw. Got some big blanks though and I'll be back at it again tomorrow afternoon or over the weekend.