What music are you listening to NOW?

I was out on the West Coast, tryin' to make a buck
And things didn't work out, I was down on my luck
Got tired a-roamin' and bummin' around
So I started thumbin' back East, toward my home town.

Made a lot of miles, the first two days
And I figured I'd be home in week, if my luck held out this way
But, the third night I got stranded, way out of town
At a cold, lonely crossroads, rain was pourin' down.

I was hungry and freezin', done caught a chill
When the lights of a big semi topped the hill Lord, I sure was glad to hear them air brakes come on
And I climbed in that cab, where I knew it'd be warm.

At the wheel sit a big man, he weighed about two-ten
He stuck out his hand and said with a grin
"Big Joe's the name", I told him mine
And he said: "The name of my rig is Phantom 309."

I asked him why he called his rig such a name
He said: "Son, this old Mack can put 'em all to shame
There ain't a driver, or a rig, a-runnin' any line
Ain't seen nothin' but taillights from Phantom 309."

Well, we rode and talked the better part of the night
When the lights of a truck stop came in sight
He said: "I'm sorry son, this is as far as you go
'Cause, I gotta make a turn, just on up the road."

Well, he tossed me a dime as he pulled her in low
And said: "Have yourself a cup on old Big Joe."
When Joe and his rig roared out in the night
In nothin' flat, he was clean out of sight.

Well, I went inside and ordered me a cup
Told the waiter Big Joe was settin' me up
Aw!, you coulda heard a pin drop, it got deathly quiet
And the waiter's face turned kinda white.

Well, did I say something wrong? I said with a halfway grin
He said: "Naw, this happens every now and then
Ever' driver in here knows Big Joe
But son, let me tell you what happened about ten years ago.

At the crossroads tonight, where you flagged him down
There was a bus load of kids, comin' from town
And they were right in the middle, when Big Joe topped the hill
It could have been slaughter, but he turned his wheel.

Well, Joe lost control, went into a skid
And gave his life to save that bunch-a kids
And there at that crossroads, was the end of the line
For Big Joe and Phantom 309

But, every now and then, some hiker'll come by
And like you, Big Joe'll give 'em a ride
Here, have another cup and forget about the dime
Keep it as a souvenir, from Big Joe and Phantom 309...

 
Today I've had the radio tuned -- as usual -- to Classical WCRB (99.5 up here in Boston) and it struck me that they once again came up with composers I'd never heard of. Thinking back, it seems like they manage it almost every week: today was a double -- Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari and Jan Dismas Zelenka.

They play a lot of the standards too, of course -- plenty of Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn and Bach -- but I love the fact that they intersperse lesser-known material in there. Right now it's the Florida Suite by Delius (who I have heard of, but I don't know this work.)
 
Love me some Shadowfax. I was introduced to them via Shadowdance. Just a few years after I discovered them Greenberg died. This is definitely headphone + vinyl music. @Fsyxxx explain why if you have the notion . . .

 
Love me some Shadowfax. I was introduced to them via Shadowdance. Just a few years after I discovered them Greenberg died. This is definitely headphone + vinyl music. @Fsyxxx explain why if you have the notion . . .


Yeah, I was in a record store about a year ago and they had a huge pile of Windham Hill records. I grew up with that stuff so made a deal for the whole pile at 1.50 each since they wanted to clear them out, about 40 albums if I recall.
 
Yeah, I was in a record store about a year ago and they had a huge pile of Windham Hill records. I grew up with that stuff so made a deal for the whole pile at 1.50 each since they wanted to clear them out, about 40 albums if I recall.

You probably got some Steve Winwood in there too then. Pretty sure he was with WH at one time.
 
I'm a fan of both Dolly and Pentatonix and came across this earlier today- She can still belt it out even at 70 years of age.

 
Back
Top