What music are you listening to NOW?

Been listening to this band a lot. 3 singers!
Well, technically,2 singers and 1 throat puncher....lol

 
@DLJeffs - that is a good version and a lot of artist has done their own rendition of it creating their own mood and feel for the song. I like his version best because how he utilized an “atmospheric effect” between the guitar sound/tone/effects/engineering with his wide range vocals to the meaningful lyrical content to make that song to be more “emotionally effective”. That is the difference between other renditions- I know what I just stated is very subjective. If you are an audiophile and a musician that enjoys the process in how a “song and sound” was created, it opens your ear to a more extended experience and a more enjoyable one if you can appreciate all the subtle nuances as well as substance that make that song much more memorable.

I have these two links if you want to dive into what I am referring too and it discusses how that sound envelope was developed using multiple reverbs, in stereo and how to get that overall sound/tone with effects with pedals and with an aide of the computer music software. The original engineer who mixed that album shows how it was done and the other is a popular guitarist shows how “close” you can get to that sound- the “essence” of it. He got fairly close, but there are so many variables in that chain- for one the guitar pickups he has does not have the same output as Jeff’s original tele pickups and we don’t know what amplifier(s) and speaker(s) he used. You have to listen to this content with a really good head set as oppose to blaring them out of your speakers if you want to catch the subtle nuances:


I think I understand what you're getting at. The comment "emotionally effective" is accurate to me. Take Chris Isaac's "Wicked Game". It wouldn't be nearly as effective without some sound engineering. kd lang's voice is just so incredible. Or just take the old surfer tunes from the 60's. Play "Pipeline" on my acoustic and it just doesn't have the same impact without the sharp reverb of the electric.
 
Last edited:
RIP to one of my guitar heroes, the great iconic, blues legend, the late Stevie Ray Vaughan who passed away 31 years ago today. What a monster of a blues guitar player he was from Texas that had his own unique flair and style!



 
Last edited:
As a bluegrass fan, this young fella caught my attention a couple of years ago, I think I have watched about all of his youtube vids, hope to see him live someday

 
Just getting this up early in case some of you don't have a local radio station that plays this at noon tomorrow. Family tradition for me, as a kid we would always listen to this at noon wether we were travelling or at home.



 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Kick off the holiday spirit with some of my fave music that I never get tired off listening to every year. Hope some of you are fans of the oldies but goodies- a musical treat from the late Joe Pass and late great Ella Fitzgerald. @Mike Hill some classics for your Tennessean elder ears (lol):




It was tough, but I made it through one of the links. On a side note, ever watch YoYo (Pimxi Liu) play? She did a cover of Angel of Darkness when she was 9 that is pretty awesome.
 
It was tough, but I made it through one of the links. On a side note, ever watch YoYo (Pimxi Liu) play? She did a cover of Angel of Darkness when she was 9 that is pretty awesome.
This is a tough crowd- appreciate listening in. This genre is not for everybody. I consider him a prodigy and probably one of the best guitarist of our time- to my eyes and ears anyway. His best and mind boggling encyclopedia of taking technical proficiency and the “in and out of pocket” playing to accelerating heights to another level is an album called “Virtuoso”.

Yes, I see that on my feed as I listen to a lot of guitar oriented music. I did give a listen- well it is very, very impressive for a 9 year old to be technically proficient and to be that skilled at an early age. Most will not reach that level. But, honestly I have witnessed more shredding way beyond that level of capacity in the 1980’s (and the present), so it is nothing new or unusual to me. Did that made me want to retire and quit playing guitar? No- never ever! I would give up designing and woodworking before I do that!

But on a serious note- there is a plethora of great and incredible talents out there, whether young or old. Hope someone will discover them so they can share their gift to the world and have a successful path in a music career.
 
Last edited:
All about the sea shanties this semester. We had a few units on pirates for the kids and it lead me to discover how awesome sea shanties are. Anything that can drive off the insanity of being trapped on a boat for months at time with scurvy ought to be worth listening to.
 
Back
Top