What's Growing in the Garden

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Still picking beans, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers from the garden. Going out every other day to pick has been working well this past week.

Between stuff from our garden and stuff that has been given to us, I've been doing some more canning this week. So far this week I've canned 9 half pints of grape jelly, 3 quarts of grape juice, and 6 quarts of green beans. Still up this week will be chicken stock, spicy Asian plum sauce, tomato/pasta sauce, and, if I have the time, I plan to get into cherry bbq sauce and cherry and blueberry pie fillings. I also started some plum liqueur the other night - 4 quarts jars of it.

Other things planned for this week: the green onions and some herbs are ready for another cutting, which I plan to dehydrate, and making some freezer pickles.

Our garden space is currently a pair of 4' x 12' raised beds, with a 3' x 4' addition section on one end that makes it a U shape. The small section is dedicated to strawberries. My wife and I have decided that we'd like to add another 4' x 12' bed next year, so I'll probably get that built this fall and start getting it filled so it's not as much work in the spring.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are sure making the most of your small space! Impressive list of produce you've "put away".

We are done canning tomatoes, but I'm still drying Roma tomatoes as fast as I can. Six quarts of dried tomato quarters so far. We are kind of waiting right now for things to mature. Late planted green beans aren't quite ready yet, and Lima beans have another couple weeks too. Late kraut cabbage is a month away along with brussel sprouts. Potatoes are vine killed, but I'll store them in the ground until just before a hard freeze and the basement stairs in the garage cool down.

I'm jealous of your grape jelly. My favorite is jelly from wild grapes, but haven't had enough wild grapes since Japanese beetles arrived about 6 years ago.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Tim, it has been amazing to see just how much we've been able to get out of our little space. But there is also plenty that we've been putting away that hasn't come from our space. Later this week I'll pull 8 gallon bags filled with tomatoes out of the freezer to start making sauce - about half of that is tomatoes that we didn't grow. Some of it was from my wife's grandpa's garden - they had an overabundance, so we brought some back with us from our trip to Illinois. Some of it was given to us by a member of the church I serve. The plums and grapes were given to us by another member. God is good and we're trying to make the best of the blessings he's given us through various means.

Last year was my first year canning. This year I decided to keep track of everything that I canned or put up. It'll be interesting to see what it totals out to at the end of the season! Certainly not the quantities you're getting from your garden and able to put up - and while you're jealous of my grape jelly, I'm jealous of the space you have to garden with, lol - but we are rather happy with what we've been able to do.

wyowoodwrker

Reaction score
First name
nick
Started canning today. Got 11 quarts of pickles 4 pints of beans, and 11 half pints of plum/blueberry jam. Will get the tomatoes peaches and pears tomorrow. The plums,peaches,and pears are from the farmers market we went to today.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Today was sauce day. 40lbs of tomatoes got cooked down and canned into 5 quarts and 5 pints of basil-garlic tomato sauce. After that, I still have about 20lbs more tomatoes in the freezer. We'll get some more tomatoes from our garden, but I'll probably be looking to source some more from elsewhere as I'd really like to put more sauce up, as well as some juice.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
We've been stuck at home for a few days now - my oldest is supposed to quarantine as a close contact (his teacher tested positive for covid) and I'm waiting for the results of my own covid test after starting to display some mild symptoms - so I've been using this as an opportunity to get caught up on some things.

Pulled all the bean plants from the garden as they were just finishing up. Took the cucumber trellis down and laid that where the beans were - this helps give the leaks some more space while they finish growing as the two cucumber plants were really taking over things, even after cutting them back. Been harvesting and freezing tomatoes every other day and picking a few various peppers here and there. Planted some butter lettuce, hoping to at least get some before the eventual first frost. Am wondering how late is too late to toss some carrot seeds in the ground.

Before we got stuck at home we had picked up a bushel and a half of apples from a local orchard. Zestar variety, and early apple. Our favorite variety, which we only first tried last year. Reminds me a lot of a honeycrisp with a nice balance of sweet and tart. We've been dehydrating apple slices. I have about a 5 gallon bucket full of dried slices so far - aiming for at least 2, maybe 3, to last the year. Our boys really love them and they've eaten a lot already.

Couple days ago I pulled out cherries I had frozen back in July. Made and canned cherry bbq sauce - 12 half pint jars - and cherry pie filling - 7 pint jars.

Tomorrow I plan to make two batches of apple pie filling - should yield about 14 pint jars. I might also pull some blueberries out of the freezer and can some blueberry pie filling. Also planning to pull tomatoes out of the freezer so I can can juice - I'll do a couple jars of plain tomato juice, at the request of my father-in-law, then I'll do the rest as a V8/spicy tomato juice style.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Sorry to hear covid is interrupting your life, hope any symptoms/infections remain mild or even absent. On the other hand though, wish I had a couple extra days to catch up on garden tasks like you are getting.

I'm still drying tomatoes, and picking secondary heads of broccoli. Waiting on late (hot) peppers to ripen so I can make some sauce. Brussel sprouts are starting to produce and my late cabbge is close to being mature. Just planted spinach and diakon radishes. We'll get some spinach this fall, and it will also over winter to give us real early greens next spring. The daikon along with Chinese cabbage (that is already growing) will be used to make a big batch of kimchi. Pumpkins are looking good, but a few varieties still need a couple weeks to mature.

I thought fall was here with cool nights this week and some early fields of corn being combined, but we are getting temps in the 90's this weekend through early next week.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
It's not all fun and garden play, lol. I'm trying to use the extra time to get caught up on some work stuff as well. Don't even know if it's covid or not yet - still waiting on test results - but my symptoms have been mild and today they have been even more mild. Today was the first day I haven't spent the whole day feeling fatigued.

We're going to get a heatwave too - up to 83 for Saturday, then back down into the 60's and 70's, lol. We have definitely been enjoying our cooler weather and having the windows open.

Kimchi - I wanted to try making some last year, but never got around to it. Maybe this year I'll try making a small batch.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
How's everyone's gardens doing? What're you all maybe still harvesting, if anything?

We're still bringing in tomatoes. This weekend I pulled what tomatoes I had in the freezer out and made juice - 4 quarts - tomato veggie juice - 7 quarts and 3 pints - and plain sauce - 4 quarts and 2 pints. Any other tomatoes we bring in will get frozen and I'll do another batch of sauce at the end of the season.

Some of our pepper plants are continuing to produce, while some others have new blooms - we'll see what we might be able to get from them. Maybe nothing or not much before it gets too cold, but we'll see. Still grabbing a few strawberries here and there - we love our everbearing strawberries. Leeks continue to grow and green onions are growing back. Cucumbers are done now. Put some butter lettuce and carrot seeds in the ground a couple weeks ago - certainly a bit late, but we'll see if we can get anything - our proximity to Lake Michigan usually means a little later first frost.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Finished shelling the last of the Lima beans today. Late broccoli is ready to cut, and still getting secondary heads off early brocc. Peppers are still producing as are tomatoes. Got bunches of celery to cut and dehydrate. Giving late kraut cabbage a little time to grow yet. Brussel sprouts still have a few weeks to go.

Chinese cabbage and daikon radishes are growing nicely and should be ready to make kimchi in about three weeks. Late spinach is up, but won't get a harvest off it for a couple weeks. Nice thing is the spinach will overwinter and will have early crop next year.

Potatoes are still in the ground, won't dig those until just before a freeze when basement stairs in garage are cold enough for storage. Have some acorn squash that will be picked after first frost.

Pumpkins and gourds are still growing, a couple weeks yet before start picking those and decorating for fall.

Almost forgot, picked my one pear last week. We had a hard frost during bloom and only one pear grew off two pear trees. Winesap apples should also be about ready to pick, should get a bushel or so from the one tree.

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Lots of great stuff, Tim. Wish we had the space to grow so much - and that wide of a variety!

But, we will be at least expanding next year. We're going to add on a third 4' x 12' raised bed. I do want to build a trellis/arbor to connect between the beds, and maybe that can be a place where we can grow some squash. We are also planning on adding to the raspberry patch. We may also plant a few smaller things among my wife's flowers next year as well.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
It is nice to have the space, but you should see the weeds I have right now, even with mulch and herbicides.

Before we (Mom an Dad) bought this place, the previous tenant didn't have a garden, but she liked morning glories, and planted them everywhere. Even with pre emergent herbicides, deep mulch and post emergence herbicides, by this time of year, they cover everything...... That's one reason I plant so much, know that certain amount will be lost to deer, bugs and weeds.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Water melon still alive, 4 little melon balls total, but all other vines have died, maybe drown. Peppers and tomatoes still going. Sad, all the butternut squash finished 6"-8" long, not a normal sized one in the bunch. Only one cheese squash. Someone stole our pumpkins, but being the garden is at the church, we like to think they really needed them. Radishes were done mid July but kale still going too. Picked 5 bushel from the 2 pear trees at our house. Our apples are sparse, spring frost, but down the road a mile was spared and trees are loaded.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Just now starting my fall vegetable garden in Florida. Fall and spring are good times to plant here…. Summer is a bit rough though.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Lil Mikey feels so substandard and inadequate. While some of youse have canned and frozen bunches - Lil Mikey has only produced this one small jar of fig preserves. Diligently picking slightly unripe figs and freezing them for a few weeks, he was able to wrest a few handfuls of precious figs from the clutches of squirrels, birds and ants! When cooking he was going to add a little vanilla for good measure - btw do you know how similar that almond flavoring bottles look like vanilla bottles? Slightly almond flavored figs are not all that bad!

Have one melon/cantaloupe (plant markers were pulled up and scattered by some varmint) that hopefully will ripen, some really hot white radishes (wasabi - I think) some carrots and some small turnips. I quess it is about time to stop trying to grow tomatoes in my one little spot of sun (3 years now) they were all sickly. Eggplants would start growing then the fruit would fall off. Poblanos did not set any - must still be too much shade for them. Only a handful of okra - I put up a reinforced plastic fence around 30 or 40 plants, but something chewed 3 holes through the fence and ate all the leaves. Next year metal fence and tall plants not shorties. Did get 6 pears from my tree (rest were squirrel bait)- will probably try to make some preserves of my horde! All the paw-paws were eaten even before they were 1/2 grown. For some reason the Pineberry and Alpine strawberries did not set any fruit this year. I am down to 7 jap. persimmon that are just starting to turn color. My fingers are crossed! Horseradish after frost.

1632147083247.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Lil Mikey feels so substandard and inadequate. While some of youse have canned and frozen bunches - Lil Mikey has only produced this one small jar of fig preserves. Diligently picking slightly unripe figs and freezing them for a few weeks, he was able to wrest a few handfuls of precious figs from the clutches of squirrels, birds and ants! When cooking he was going to add a little vanilla for good measure - btw do you know how similar that almond flavoring bottles look like vanilla bottles? Slightly almond flavored figs are not all that bad!

Have one melon/cantaloupe (plant markers were pulled up and scattered by some varmint) that hopefully will ripen, some really hot white radishes (wasabi - I think) some carrots and some small turnips. I quess it is about time to stop trying to grow tomatoes in my one little spot of sun (3 years now) they were all sickly. Eggplants would start growing then the fruit would fall off. Poblanos did not set any - must still be too much shade for them. Only a handful of okra - I put up a reinforced plastic fence around 30 or 40 plants, but something chewed 3 holes through the fence and ate all the leaves. Next year metal fence and tall plants not shorties. Did get 6 pears from my tree (rest were squirrel bait)- will probably try to make some preserves of my horde! All the paw-paws were eaten even before they were 1/2 grown. For some reason the Pineberry and Alpine strawberries did not set any fruit this year. I am down to 7 jap. persimmon that are just starting to turn color. My fingers are crossed! Horseradish after frost.

View attachment 216345
I got my Dad a couple Japanese persimmon 10 years ago and as far as I know, this is the first year they set fruit. We shall see if the deer leave any for us to snack on. Last herd count by the neighbor was above 20...
That almond fig preserve sounds appetizing. Better than, say ..., well actually most flavorings I can think of off hand would blend well with figs. Just stay away from the herb jars, I doubt we could pass it off with basil or cilantro.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I've been remiss in updating pictures of my cacti seedlings. It's now about a week or so shy of three months since they germinated.

First is the fishhook pincushion. The body is about the size of a pea, maybe a 1/4" or so in diameter. See how it got it's name?

fishhook pin cushion.jpg

This the saguaro. The body is about the size of a dime and the spines are around 1.25" across. Nasty looking spines, but at this size they are still flexible and I had no problems transplanting them earlier this week.

saguaro1.jpeg

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I've been remiss in updating pictures of my cacti seedlings. It's now about a week or so shy of three months since they germinated.

First is the fishhook pincushion. The body is about the size of a pea, maybe a 1/4" or so in diameter. See how it got it's name?

View attachment 216881

This the saguaro. The body is about the size of a dime and the spines are around 1.25" across. Nasty looking spines, but at this size they are still flexible and I had no problems transplanting them earlier this week.

View attachment 216882
Wow, that Fishhook has some cool stuff on the spines. I have so many on the property I've never tried growing my own, so that picture shows a lot of detail I've never seen. The saguaro looks like the spines have the same detail on some of the spines, or is it your camera doing strange stuff to them?? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Jerry, not a camera artifact, although you made me go and look with a hand lens to be sure. :wink:

With the hand lens you can see tiny "hairs" (trichomes?) extending perpendicular to each spine along their length. On the older spines, you see fewer of them. Leads me to believe that they are a defense mechanism with young, soft, immature spines and they are either absorbed(surrounded by expanding tissue) or fall off as the spines age and become thicker/stronger.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Tim, it probably is a defense mechanisam as there are plenty of hungry critters out here that love to eat young cacti. I guess I'm gonna have to grow some more in the spring and check it out myself. Haven't seen any literature about the hairy spines yet, so will have to look deeper for it.......... Thanks............... Jerry (in Tucson)