What's Growing in the Garden

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's growing in the garden? Not much right now. Had heavy frost last night, so wiped out any warm season plants. Harvested Chinese cabbage and daikon radishes to make a big batch of kimchi. All that's left to do is harvest brussel sprouts and some collard greens later in the week.

Here's a picture of the kimchi right before putting it into the crock. Two gallon batch, and should be ready for sampling in a couple weeks.

kimchi.jpeg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Looks good, Tim. I made my first ever batch of kimchi a few weeks ago. I like it - I'd never had it before. It was a bit too spicy for my wife, but it'll go great tossed into stir fry or fried rice.

I was hoping to do fall cleanup in the raised beds this week and plant garlic, but that'll have to wait. I don't have the energy or strength to fight my way out of a wet paper bag. Covid has hit our house...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
That also means that adding on a third raised bed is looking like a springtime project...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I like really hot kimchi, but have cut back on the peppers in recent years so other family members can enjoy it. My favorite way to eat it (other than straight from the jar) is to use it on sandwiches. Two pieces of toast, some lunch meat and a thick layer of kimchi.

We've been way too wet to do any tilling for garlic. Hoping to get it in next week. I've still got potatoes to dig too. Waiting for the basement stairs in the garage to cool down a little more so they will store longer.

Hope you all beat the covid quickly, we've been lucky and not had illness of any kind for quite a while.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Thanks, guys. I'm feeling a little better this morning. My fever appears to have broken during the night, but we'll see how the day goes. We've been on a regimen of vitamins to boost the immune system, and getting sick the amount of some of them got increased dosages. It's not pleasant, but I've been way sicker than this before.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, this is supposed to be wintertime yet! A few a little earlier than norm, but some downright cornfused! This was Jan 1 - day before the white stuff. Sorry for the blurry pic - but old iphone, lots of wind and old Lil Mikey are the excuses.

EEA3CCA3-87BA-486D-B3E8-E0FD0CCB4516.jpeg 97762EC4-8F84-4F46-AA0E-64831654CFC0.jpeg

Earlier than normal - common and red witchhazel

00360641-3D39-4332-B91B-A01E5B89B2A8.jpeg 433CC9CA-AD02-4A49-863E-B4BA082851F1.jpeg

922E0605-8D01-4CF7-8BA2-0CD32FE8F170.jpeg

Hellebores - not totally unexpected, but earlier than normal

6DFA8AF4-0C07-4BCB-87B6-3E50F082539D.jpeg

Jessamine - early

C6104005-23FD-4BE9-8240-9EBB95B79B32.jpeg

Dianthus - early!

89E5ECCC-A1DF-4114-9AA6-15FA4F7E144A.jpeg

Azalea - way early - Is it time for the Masters already?

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Ok, this is supposed to be wintertime yet! A few a little earlier than norm, but some downright cornfused! This was Jan 1 - day before the white stuff. Sorry for the blurry pic - but old iphone, lots of wind and old Lil Mikey are the excuses.

View attachment 220328View attachment 220329

Earlier than normal - common and red witchhazel

View attachment 220331View attachment 220330

View attachment 220332

Hellebores - not totally unexpected, but earlier than normal

View attachment 220333

Jessamine - early

View attachment 220334

Dianthus - early!

View attachment 220335

Azalea - way early - Is it time for the Masters already?
Common 'Witch Hazel' flowers can be found nearly every month of the leaf-off season. Ours is every year about the last week of November and first 2 weeks of December.

As for the others, they are simply confused. In the country it is often called DNC.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Anybody want to wager a bet that when I get home today, that there will be the first open daffodil in my yard to greet me?

1644412604098.png

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got bloom yet?

We are a ways off from anything growing outside, but I've got around 30 different species/varieties started in the basement. Geraniums and petunias are the only thing emerged so far. Any green you see in the back left of the picture are pots of my saguaro (and some tiny geraniums).

seeds started.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Thanks Tim for starting this thread. A lot of good ideas from you and others. I need to get my setup finished and get some seeds going now. I started reading this thread then got distracted. Now I'm playing catch-up. I'm up to page 7. as usual, I got a bunch of questions.

In posts #68 you have 5 gal buckets around your plants. Rabbit protection? Bottoms cut out? I've tried 12" chicken wire but it's a pain to use and store. This is a good idea. Subdivision going in near me and lots of 5 gal paint buckets being tossed.

#81 You use black plastic corrugated drain pipe around plants. More protection or for watering?

#116 Strawberry syrup sounds good. Just cook down berries, strain and add some sugar to thicken?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
The buckets are around tomato plants and protect them while they harden off after transplanting. Keeps them a little warmer and keeps the winds from shredding them. Would work for rabbits too, but we have a high coyote population and few rabbits.

The buckets are cut off. I use the bottoms for storage trays. The black drain pipe is used for the same reason, to harden off pepper and cole crop transplants. I remove the buckets and the drain pipe when the plants have hardened off.

Edit.

Here is the strawberry syrup recipe.

6 cup mashed strawberries (8-10cups fresh berries)
3 cups sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS vanilla extract

Add all ingredients to a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes. Syrup can be stored in the fridge for several months. I process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, or you can freeze the syrup.

BTW, it sounds like a lot of lemon juice, but it is needed to balance the acidity/sweetness. You don't taste any lemon in the final product. Also seems like a lot of vanilla, but it only has a very subtle vanilla note in the final product.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry

3 cups sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS vanilla extract

Add all ingredients to a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes. Syrup can be stored in the fridge for several months. I process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, or you can freeze the syrup.

BTW, it sounds like a lot of lemon juice, but it is needed to balance the acidity/sweetness. You don't taste any lemon in the final product. Also seems like a lot of vanilla, but it only has a very subtle vanilla note in the final product.
When I visited Tim last year, he gave me a jar of that syrup. Wow folks, it's the best canned Strawberry anything I've ever eaten. I'd love to get another couple jars if you're so inclined to sell me a couple. Flat rate box of anything desert you think you would like could be made up if you're into trading.

I don't know if any of you have eaten Fritos Scoops this way, but, MAN, it's delicious with this syrup. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
The buckets are around tomato plants and protect them while they harden off after transplanting. Keeps them a little warmer and keeps the winds from shredding them. Would work for rabbits too, but we have a high coyote population and few rabbits.

The buckets are cut off. I use the bottoms for storage trays. The black drain pipe is used for the same reason, to harden off pepper and cole crop transplants. I remove the buckets and the drain pipe when the plants have hardened off.

Edit.

3 cups sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS vanilla extract

I might try the buckets this year to protect from rabbits until the plants get larger. Easier than the chicken wire. Just nest and store in the garage when the wire baskets go on.

That sounds more like jam than syrup. Next time you get Cherries, do the same except strain. Make nice syrup.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
When I visited Tim last year, he gave me a jar of that syrup. Wow folks, it's the best canned Strawberry anything I've ever eaten. I'd love to get another couple jars if you're so inclined to sell me a couple. Flat rate box of anything desert you think you would like could be made up if you're into trading.

I don't know if any of you have eaten Fritos Scoops this way, but, MAN, it's delicious with this syrup. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

I've got plenty, I'll put a box together early next week. Leaving town tomorrow to go see newest great nephew (1 month old). I'm not looking for anything specific in trade, just surprise me with something.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I might try the buckets this year to protect from rabbits until the plants get larger. Easier than the chicken wire. Just nest and store in the garage when the wire baskets go on.

That sounds more like jam than syrup. Next time you get Cherries, do the same except strain. Make nice syrup.
It sounds like jam, but is really syrup with chunks.

Most jams have ~ 2 parts or more sugar to 1 part fruit. This one is opposite that ratio. If you like strawberries, this the recipe to try.

Didn't make any cherry syrup from cherries last year, made cherry pit syrup (just pits and sugar). Think it was @Sprung who shared that recipe. Our sour cherry tree should be in full production this year, so hopeful!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Made it through a couple more pages and saw the cherry syrup on page 8. The syrup I attempted to make was for pancakes not liquor. I drink my scotch neat or with a splash of water. Sorry to single you out again Tim, but I was wondering if you plant your potatoes in the same spot every year? We grew tons as kids but I've only had one good year since.

Your garlic is planted when? and dug in July? I'd like to try that.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I use the cherry syrup on ice cream and it is heaven!

Potatoes. Rotate every year, if you have space. They would be best after a crop or two of sweet corn. Most other crops grown in the garden are alternate hosts for various potato pests. If you don't have space to rotate, don't sweat it, it's not like you are trying to grow them commercially. What varieties of potato are you growing? Not every variety will do well in all soil types/ environment.

Several that I grow:. Superior, a round white early season variety (90 day). Good for boiling, potato salad, etc. Won't store very long. Only needs about 100#/acre nitrogen. Good on most soil types, but like all potatoes, the looser the soil the better.

Norland, very similar to Superior, but red skinned. Similar characteristics. Supior and Norland are the potatoes I start digging as soon as they are golf ball sized for "new potatoes".

Yukon Gold, very popular since they have yellow flesh, but they can have more problems in the garden. They are very susceptible to scab, and they go off shape in heavier soils. Need around 150# nitrogen/acre. Don't store very long. Longer season potato compared to Superior.

Pontiac, red skinned potato, longer season than Norland and larger yielding. Short storage season. 150# nitrogen.

Kennebec, full season (120 day)oblong white skinned. Good storage potato. Grow these to use all winter long. 175# nitrogen.

Always buy certified seed potatoes. Trying to save them from year to year only increases virus load in the potatoes. Don't ever use potatoes bought at the grocery store for planting. They all have sprout inhibitor sprayed on them, and even though they may grow, they will not produce a normal crop.

Tip:150 # nitrogen per acre equals 25 oz of 13-13-13 fertilizer per 20 ft of row.

I use a systemic insecticide at planting, followed by foliar sprays later in the season for leafhoppers. Colorado potato beetle and leafhoppers are going to do the most damage to potatoes.

For disease, I use Daconil (chlorothalonil) and start spraying when the potatoes start filling in between rows.

Most important with potatoes is getting enough nitrogen on them. I till in nitrogen before planting. You don't necessarily need to apply fungicide, but it can help in raising final yield. Consistent moisture (rain or watering) is also important.

Garlic. I plant anywhere from late October to mid November, just want them in the ground before it freezes. You can plant in the spring but will have much smaller yield. Hard neck varieties are the best in our area. Several of my favorite varieties are "Armenian", "Romanian", "Chesnok Red" and "Spanish Roja".

BTW, if you have a hard time finding potato seed, try Jung Seed in Wisconsin. They carry many varieties, and might even have some garlic cloves for sale in the spring. I bought my garlic from a producer out west several years ago, and plant the largest cloves I produce each year. Garlic can be planted from year to year with saved cloves.

Last edited: