What's in the mail?

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Oh you're gonna love that! Hopefully it makes your planer quieter too, it certainly does for big planers, not sure about lunchboxes though....
Yeah, it’s advertised as being much quieter, Barry. Right now it’s the only machine I have my ear muffs hanging on. Since my calendar has suddenly cleared due unforeseen current events, I’ve got some time to install it.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Tom Smart I have been looking at that one too. Do you know if it is the same diameter as the original? The cost is definitely better than the Byrd.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
@Tom Smart I have been looking at that one too. Do you know if it is the same diameter as the original? The cost is definitely better than the Byrd.
I don’t know, Greg, the Grizzly site didn’t mention there was a difference. They also sell the Shelix head and do say that one is .088” smaller.

The price difference between the two is $160 from Grizzly. Difference between made in Taiwan and the USA. Looks like they both have 30 cutter inserts and the Grizzly includes 5 extra. For as much as I use the machine I couldn’t see spending the extra money.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The only reason I asked about the size difference, and it's something you might need to know, is that it can throw the scale off. I'm wanting to do the upgrade on my planer, I use it alot, my only complaint of the planer is the blade life is short. And the original blades seem to get nicked easily. Byrd now offers it in 2 sizes, OEM, and a smaller diameter. They say with the OEM that you have to remove the cutters to get it in. In the grizzly video they install it in a different manner, from the top and not through the side, iirc. I'm still seriously considering the grizzly for the cost savings.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
A few weeks ago I was contacted by a guy visiting down here from Alaska, he saw some turnings I have in a gallery and wanted to pay me a visit, he and his wife came over and we shot the breeze for a while, and I gave him a big chunk of desert ironwood that I had carved on, then abandoned. it must have weighed 40 lbs, they took it back to Alaska on the plane with them. So I got this a couple of days ago in the mail as a thank you, a nice chunk of mountain mahogany, originally harvested in Bishop CA, then it went to AK, now its in AZ,..... its done some traveling. I have worked with Mountain Mahogany once before when @gman2431 gifted me some, I really like it, should make a nice turning.
View attachment 182548

That is huge...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought a pallet breaker off Amazon. it was delivered today.
Guess where they left it?
Thanks usps. (morons)

0322201530_HDR.jpg

0322201531_HDR.jpg

0322201129_HDR.jpg

0322201129a_HDR.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
You should write a letter :smile:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should write a letter :smile:
I got an answer, it says my case has been resolved. (really? how?)

Your USPS Service Request #xxxxxxxx Has Been Resolved!

Dear Marc Hunter,

This is in response to your inquiry regarding the delivery of a package. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.
The Postal Service is aware of the frustration and disappointment caused when we do not live up to our commitment of safe and reliable mail service.

We will work with the carrier to ensure proper delivery of parcels. in the instance that there is no safe or secure place to leave parcels then the carriers will be instructed to leave a notice of attempt and the parcels will be available for pick up at your convenience.

An apology is no substitute for good service, but I want to offer one on behalf of the Postal Service. We appreciate your reporting this matter to us. It helps to know the kinds of difficulties our customers have so we can work toward improvements. The information you have provided will be shared with management as they continue their efforts to improve service performance in your area.
Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,
David Sullivan
Supv Customer Services

So, basically, "We're sorry about that."

fine by me, as long as they know about it, and it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

steve bellinger

Reaction score
First name
Steve
D763C327-11F5-4F8B-AB22-ADBB93820F78.jpeg

This is what I use for breaking down pallets. It is a demo bar and does get used a lot for that. Can rip up two or three layers of plywood flooring in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
This came in today, very exciting. I bought this dowel collet chuck for $30, almost brand new. Only one of the collets has even been opened!
20200327_232923.jpg

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
A couple of Bradford Pear blanks. It's smells wonderful! Almost like peaches. I have heard of this wood but never turned any. Has anyone had any history turning it? What can I expect?
IMG_2094.jpg