A Joke a Day Keeps The Boredom Away . . .

No I’m being an evil grammar guy and pointing out that the plural of goose is geese and not gooses.
I suspected as much. And yes, normally the term gooses would be inappropriate, however, in the "joke a day" section I was going to leave it alone as it had a high likelihood of being bait for folks who have a habit of correcting grammer. Which, although I rarely comment, I notice quite often. I spent 3 years behind a schoolteachers desk teaching subjects that included grammer, spelling, punctuation, and composition as part of the grade for the lesson. I infuriate my wife and immediate family quite regularly with corrections. That is satisfaction enough for me.
 
I suspected as much. And yes, normally the term gooses would be inappropriate, however, in the "joke a day" section I was going to leave it alone as it had a high likelihood of being bait for folks who have a habit of correcting grammer. Which, although I rarely comment, I notice quite often. I spent 3 years behind a schoolteachers desk teaching subjects that included grammer, spelling, punctuation, and composition as part of the grade for the lesson. I infuriate my wife and immediate family quite regularly with corrections. That is satisfaction enough for me.
I don’t do it for satisfaction. It’s more of an obsession.
 
No I’m being an evil grammar guy and pointing out that the plural of goose is geese and not gooses.
It becomes geese if they are all the same species. If there are more than one species, it is gooses. Being what looks to be 2 flight lines of birds, to small to see for me, to ID the kind, I let gooses fly.
 
It becomes geese if they are all the same species. If there are more than one species, it is gooses. Being what looks to be 2 flight lines of birds, to small to see for me, to ID the kind, I let gooses fly.
Hmm ... do you have any citation for this, Mark? It doesn't sound right to me.
 
Hmm ... do you have any citation for this, Mark? It doesn't sound right to me.
The plural for deer is deer, unless more than one species is present, then it is deers. Who knows, they may have changed English again. I still think about moose, meese, house and hice.
 
It becomes geese if they are all the same species. If there are more than one species, it is gooses. Being what looks to be 2 flight lines of birds, to small to see for me, to ID the kind, I let gooses fly.
Hmmmm, I thought those lines on my computer screen were a smear of some sort and needed cleaning. Thanks, Mark for clearing for me. .............. Nubs
 
Hmm ... do you have any citation for this, Mark? It doesn't sound right to me.
Should have said no, just that we had an English teacher that taught it in middle school and a college professor in WFS that repeated it. It does sound odd, but so do many things. They may have been having fun misleading many hundreds of youth over the years.....come to think of it, that has become the norm at many teaching establishments.
 
The plural for deer is deer, unless more than one species is present, then it is deers.
Interestingly, that not only SOUNDS right, it is right. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around gooses and I can't find anything that suggests it's correct.

I can only find "gooses" in the context of things like "I swear, if he gooses me I'll smack the crap out of him."
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm, I thought those lines on my computer screen were a smear of some sort and needed cleaning. Thanks, Mark for clearing for me. .............. Nubs
I had to enlarge the screen shot as well, being I saw nothing the first time. Even if you fail to see the birds, still a nice sight to behold.
 
Your responses made my day lol. There was some cackling geese, Canada geese, and one with a yellow bill. They were right overhead, caught a southeast wind to the Rio Grande, they were scootin when I took that picture.
 
For what it is worth, Mr Copilot (AI) says:

Rare informal/plural usage:
• Sometimes people jokingly or informally say gooses instead of geese, but this is considered nonstandard English.

👉 So, in correct English, "gooses" is only right when it’s used as a verb, not as the plural of the bird.

(not that I believe everything that AI spews out there)
 
For what it is worth, Mr Copilot (AI) says:

Rare informal/plural usage:
• Sometimes people jokingly or informally say gooses instead of geese, but this is considered nonstandard English.

👉 So, in correct English, "gooses" is only right when it’s used as a verb, not as the plural of the bird.

(not that I believe everything that AI spews out there)
when i ask AI about "goosing" i get very different results


s-l400 (1).webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top