Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trying not to be negative, but see common names listed. Are any ID'ed to species level?
Nope. We're all very common here.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@ScoutDog
Thank you!
I see two hickory samples. Would they be from two different logs?
The same question applies to Arizona olive.

Paolo
Hi Paolo:
The two Hickory and two Olive samples are from the same logs.
I'm not sure if that is ideal or somehow less desirable for your purposes, but that is where they're from.
--JB

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Was thinking we might be able to gather a few more samples from members if we aren't out of time.

That's entirely up to Paolo.

I am not in a rush at the moment.

Well, guys, normally I'd be fine w/ waiting and getting more samples but I've got house guests coming for Thanksgiving and I want to get this whole collection thing over and done with so I've boxed up what I have and will ship it off to Paolo.

@chatometry I'll get you a shipping cost soon.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
box sent, will PM w/ details. Frank was right about the postage. I got it down to $73.80 by not using a flat rate box.

Last edited:

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Shipped on November 23rd, on November 30th the parcel was in Milan. Now we'll see how many days (or weeks) it takes to reach my door - that is, 15 miles from Milan :lol2:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Going to be more like 9, week from today, or is it already tomorrow there? In which case it might be only 8, I think......

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
In going with 3 days usually when I get the notification that a package is in sorting in my city it takes about that long to be delivered

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Allright. 28 days in Italy and still no news. I phoned everybody I could and they said it's a busy time and I just have to wait...
Another 2 days and we will exceed the 2 days per mile!

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
Have you check with customs? Here customs has become more strict with packages outside the eu and you have to declare all of them

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
They don't reply to the phone :(
For some reason there is no tracking since it landed in Italy.
I am not worried yet, just annoyed with our post system for the long wait...

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Still no news :(
I phoned everyone I could and they say that only the sender can try to find the parcel, by phoning the company used for shipping (USPS I guess).
This makes no sense to me, with the parcel probably stuck 15 miles from my place. This is so annoying :(

Jordan Pisowicz

Jordan Piso
Reaction score
First name
Jordan
Hey guys, I've been gone for a while and just saw this thread. Paul, you rock man! Paolo, greetings! I'd love to contribute somehow but realize this is an old thread... Been a few years since I been around. Let me know if there's anything in specific you guys have had a hard time finding many samples of and maybe I can locate some in the hoard. Or whatever it may be. I do realize that this correspondence and project (or our end of it, through Paul anyway...) may be concluded. Either way, I love it.

Jordan

PS. Sorry if I missed any pertinent information regarding my above text, but didn't have time to read through the whole thread. Just saw it and got excited...

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Still no news :(
I phoned everyone I could and they say that only the sender can try to find the parcel, by phoning the company used for shipping (USPS I guess).
This makes no sense to me, with the parcel probably stuck 15 miles from my place. This is so annoying :(
The USPS won't be able to tell me anything not already shown in the last two shipping updates. This is the last info they have:
1642881100374.png

So, according to the USPS it is in Italy and I don't think they'll be able to tell me more. The tracking #, as given to you previously in a PM, is CJ 190 801 739 US

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
So, according to the USPS it is in Italy and I don't think they'll be able to tell me more
Fully agreed. With the parcel in Italy it is nonsense that Italian postal service asks me to track it from the US...
Last time you shipped tracking kept on showing the same message ("...departed a transfer airport...") until it was delivered, so it is possible that this time they are just being slower... We'll wait.

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Let me know if there's anything in specific you guys have had a hard time finding many samples of and maybe I can locate some in the hoard.
Dear Jordan
Thank you very much for kindly offering your help! It is really appreciated.
I will check where we are with typical American hardwoods and softwoods and get back to you, and hopefully I will also receive Paul's parcel which also provides a huge set of sample!
Anyway, thanks!!!

Paolo

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
The USPS won't be able to tell me anything not already shown in the last two shipping updates. This is the last info they have:
View attachment 221179

So, according to the USPS it is in Italy and I don't think they'll be able to tell me more. The tracking #, as given to you previously in a PM, is CJ 190 801 739 US
Paolo and Paul,

I see that this package is still in limbo and sympathize with this situation. Coincidentally, I shipped a package same service via USPS priority mail international about the same time frame- shipped from the US on Dec. 7th, arrived Dec. 11th in Milan, Italy. Custom clearance on January 26, 2022 & delivery. It only took 4 days transit from US to Milan, Italy- however it sat in Milan for 45 days! What is going on with the Italian Post office? I shipped to many parts of Italy, but this is excessive for expedited air service. I had another luthier asked me to ship to Sicily- I told him, the time frame delay due to your post office service that it might take 2 months for a 6-10 business day expedited shipping via USPS (plus custom clearance). I told him what UPS expedited will cost (see percentage listed below for reference)- he said “OMG”, ship via USPS! He told me and another Italian luthier that their “post office sucks”! That they basically sit on the package for an indefinite amount of time before it goes to Customs Clearance. Usually it is the other way around where the international post office will get it expedited and suddenly it will come at a “screeching halt” to sit awaiting for customs clearance.

Hopefully, your package will be delivered soon.

Arn

PSA- shipping USPS is the most efficient and cost effective way to ship parcels internationally. UPS, FedEx or DHL while they can expedite the customs clearance much faster, the cost is astronomical, which is about 163% to 217% more compare to USPS.

Last edited:

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
Thanks... This brings back some hope.
To be fair, I am more upset about the impossibility to track the parcel (which is due to Italian offices).
Nevermind, I'll wait!
Thanks again for the message!
Paolo